Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd October 2012, 17:24   #1
ballymenaman
Avid contributor

75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 Auto, Rover 45, classic mini and E Niro

Default Water pump query K series

Just about to order a timing belt and tensioner for my newly acquired 75 1.8T. Car has 40k on clock. I'm just wondering if I should replace the water pump at the same time as a precaution? No sign of failure at all. Are they prone to fail with age or is it mileage that does the damage? I have also noticed that there is some coolant loss. There is staining down the pipe running downwards from the plastic 'T' pipe behind the radiator - is this a common leaky point? There is no sign of overheating or HGF by the way.
ballymenaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:52   #2
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The plastic T piece is a weak point that can leak and needs looking at. On my own car I changed the cam belt and left the water pump but anybody elses I would reccomend doing at the same time, the belt drives the pump so would need to be removed again if done seperately

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:04   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

If you are in there already, it is prudent to replace the waterpump, idler and tensioner as well.
That does not guarantee anything, but at least you have done what can be done.
The waterpumps are not good, and premature failures (leaks) are frequent.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:48   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballymenaman View Post
There is staining down the pipe running downwards from the plastic 'T' pipe behind the radiator - is this a common leaky point?

Do a word search for 'Gerry-T' and you'll find what's being done about this leaky bit.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 07:56   #5
mick160
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballymenaman View Post
Just about to order a timing belt and tensioner for my newly acquired 75 1.8T. Car has 40k on clock. I'm just wondering if I should replace the water pump at the same time as a precaution? No sign of failure at all. Are they prone to fail with age or is it mileage that does the damage? I have also noticed that there is some coolant loss. There is staining down the pipe running downwards from the plastic 'T' pipe behind the radiator - is this a common leaky point? There is no sign of overheating or HGF by the way.
I would change the water pump while the timing belt is off. For the sake of 20 to 30 quid and an extra few minutes its not worth leaving it. Plus it has been known for old pumps to fail shortly after a new timing belt has been fitted - don't know why, maybe its the extra tension of a new belt putting a strain on the shaft or maybe its just sods law

The T pieces are a known weak point - I just changed mine for a new oe one but a stainless/alloy alternative is better. I think a member is looking into getting some alloy ones made at the moment (I think its yella fella). Also check the hoses to the T piece- after changing my T I noticed the top hose had gone porous and coolant was seeping out once it was up to pressure.

Hope this helps.
mick160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 08:00   #6
mick160
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8t

Yep, its yella fella. Here's the thread;

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ighlight=gerry
mick160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 08:51   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

When I bought my 75 I was told the timing belt had been done recently but days after getting the car it started losing water, culprit was the water pump which garage replaced FOC. Seems a new timing belt puts a strain on the water pump that it can't handle.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 09:22   #8
stugee
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 1.8T

For the sake of £56 for the belt, tensioner and pump I would just go the whole hog

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209094551...84.m1423.l2649
stugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 10:20   #9
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

I would definatly change the Water Pump and the belt Tensioner while your in the vacinity. If you can stretch to the extra cost of a genuine Pump, do so.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 22:22   #10
ballymenaman
Avid contributor

75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 Auto, Rover 45, classic mini and E Niro

Thanks folks. Have ordered genuine rover belt, tensioner and W pump for £65. Thought it was reasonable. Will defo consider the alloy 'T'. Thanks for all the help.
ballymenaman is offline   Reply With Quote