View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:08   #75
Ratty
I really should get out more.......

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
We need to get back to a mend it mentality and ditch this throw-away where its cheaper to just replace. The amount of energy and Earth's resources that go into building a car and through mans idea of depreciation, it become uneconomic to repair after x number of years, has lead to this situation. We need to be more like Indian or Cuba where the philosophy is repair, repair, repair as they have no other option. We along with other western countries don't value items with a perceived decreasing value because of our thrown-away society that has become all to prevalent as money is king and people cannot see the real value in what they have.

Just look at this, repair a car with minimal need on Earth's resources, say a HG, or cut it up, build a new car to replace it which take far more of Earth's resources to manufacture.
I totally agree with you Roger, I spend about 3 months every year in Thailand and nothing is thrown away, many small garages repairing cars & bikes on every corner. you can get anything repaired there.We should take a leaf out of their book.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote