The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Broken Down ZT (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315600)

Redmaestro 1st October 2021 09:26

Broken Down ZT

Hi All

After nearly 9yrs of (almost) faultless driving, ZT finally broke down during the school run this morning. The car first lost drive, then the steering went heavy. I had enough momentum to get the car safely off the road. Whilst waiting for my inlaw to pick the kids up to take them to school, I ran the Torque app on my phone - and found a P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit fault.

Will the sensor need replacing or just cleaning up? My car is 2miles away from home and on a quiet country lane so might need to organise a tow home if there isn't a quick fix!

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Yorkshire GOC 1st October 2021 09:51

See this post - cleaning the camshaft connector plug sorted this same code

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=151956

Redmaestro 1st October 2021 12:25

Cleaning didn't help, still have the same error message.

Its like the engine wont turn over at all, but you can hear the starter motor whirring when you try to start.

Now looking for a new sensor online but I don't think its going to fix the problem

Mike Noc 1st October 2021 12:30

When were the cambelts last changed?

Arctic 1st October 2021 12:36

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmaestro (Post 2901915)
Cleaning didn't help, still have the same error message.

Its like the engine wont turn over at all, but you can hear the starter motor whirring when you try to start.

Now looking for a new sensor online but I don't think its going to fix the problem

Hi Simon.
Is the the car cranking over? or is it just making a clicking sound with lights flashing when trying to start it.

You could try cleaning the spade end on the starter motor, i am also wondering if the lamba sensor as chaffed on the heat shield under the car

vitesse 1st October 2021 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2901917)
When were the cambelts last changed?

Good call, engine turning over at speed with loss of compression perhaps, sounds like belts.

Regards

Redmaestro 1st October 2021 12:48

not sure, but they seem nice and tight with no obvious signs of wear. All the writing on the belts are still white

Redmaestro 1st October 2021 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2901918)
Hi Simon.
Is the the car cranking over? or is it just making a clicking sound with lights flashing when trying to start it.

You could try cleaning the spade end on the starter motor, i am also wondering if the lamba sensor as chaffed on the heat shield under the car

the starter motor whirrs but the engine doesn't seem to be rotating. I tried putting the car in 1st gear, handbrake off and tried to start the car. The car lurched forward as expected (I don't know if that helps at all)

stocktake 1st October 2021 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmaestro (Post 2901921)
not sure, but they seem nice and tight with no obvious signs of wear. All the writing on the belts are still white

If you have had the car 9 yr and the belts have not been done then it is possible one of the timing belts have failed. (there are 3) the main belt on the KV6 is not easily visible without removing the covers. the one that is easily visible drives the alt and power steering etc and has no bearing on the timing of the engine.

patrolman pete 1st October 2021 19:52

Are all the belts turning when cranking. It's possible that a belt may not have snapped but have stripped the teeth. This would result in no signal from the cam sensor as the cams aren't turning to trigger the signal.