Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd August 2018, 22:04   #1
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Default Agh I just can't make my mind up!

I'm totally undecided about the future for my ZT, as I've mentioned before it's a poor example.

The last I mentioned it was going to get blown and I was going to supercharge it for fun.

That was before it decided to annoy me by not only throwing an ABS fault and now emptying it's coolant everywhere...again, with a month to go on the MOT.

And now I've decided to join a racing series next year, it's a fairly amateur affair and I intend to stay to the lower 140 or 180bhp/ton category.

Today I managed to acquire a Unichip piggyback ECU with turbo and injector modules (very cheaply in my opinion!) which again has got me wondering if I should race the ZT as I already have the car which would save me a good amount.

It's either the ZT or most likely a MR2 spyder. To be honest I'm not going to be fighting for podium positions as I lack experience so I don't mind not having the fastest car on track. Am I mad for considering the ZT?
Old 23rd August 2018, 22:23   #2
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Yes, yes you are if loads of people aren't racing a particular model of car there is usually a very good reason why
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2018, 22:43   #3
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Mmmmm, bit lardy for track duties me thinks!
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 30+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2018, 23:02   #4
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Do it! It'd would be interesting to know how well a tracked ZT would do.
Old 23rd August 2018, 23:30   #5
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Given a 75/ZT weighs nearly 1.7t, even in 190 guise it only packs 112bhp/tonne.

Definitely not a racer and even in capable hands would be at the back of the 140bhp/t category.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 05:31   #6
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Given a 75/ZT weighs nearly 1.7t, even in 190 guise it only packs 112bhp/tonne.

Definitely not a racer and even in capable hands would be at the back of the 140bhp/t category.
You know I need to get my ass to a weighbridge, I can't find how much the car weighs, I keep getting different answers. According to Colin NI it's 1450kg, Wikipedia says the lightest model is 1400kg, parkers says its 1625kg.

The only way I guess I'll find the truth is by weighing it myself, if indeed it is 1.6 tonnes then no way, but if it's 1450 then that's doable, I would guess there's 200 kgs to be lost on the lardy zt.

Last edited by P-Nut; 24th August 2018 at 05:46..
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 06:03   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

A question only you can answer..........

Are you going racing to have a whizz round a few race tracks and have a really good, fun time enjoying yourself?

OR

Are you looking to "compete" in the series?

If the former then IMHO go for it. Use the ZT as a "cheap" way of getting started and a way to experience the atmosphere and buzz and learn the circuits.

If, next year, the year after or whenever, you decide to "compete" then it'll be time to search out the "right" car to do that with. And to sort out the large overdraft to pay for all those "go faster" bits and bobs .

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 06:53   #8
cazemi
Loves to post

75 oil burner ZX12R,ZRX1200R VN 1500,Uncle Bunt hardtail chop,

There's a public? weighbridge at Shields recycling & tip near the TT trading est-if you're from Shields you must know where it is!
Been a while since i was there, but i've weighed car/trailer combos there before.

Go for it with the zt-what have you got to lose? a lot of weight can be got rid of by removing sound proofing etc-are you allowed to junk interior etc?
As for getting shot of the zt because "someone who shall not be named has left the building" i wouldnt, he lives a few miles away & if you dont have his contact details-he can be reached through me.
Old 24th August 2018, 07:01   #9
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

If you take the ZT racing its not going to be as heavy as every one thinks . Dont forget you will be making it lighter by removing all the seats (except drivera of course) , air con and everything else thats not needed . Dont forget its not always the fastest car wins . Best of luck.
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 07:01   #10
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazemi View Post
There's a public? weighbridge at Shields recycling & tip near the TT trading est-if you're from Shields you must know where it is!
Been a while since i was there, but i've weighed car/trailer combos there before.

Go for it with the zt-what have you got to lose? a lot of weight can be got rid of by removing sound proofing etc-are you allowed to junk interior etc?
As for getting shot of the zt because "someone who shall not be named has left the building" i wouldnt, he lives a few miles away & if you dont have his contact details-he can be reached through me.
Oh didn't realise the tip had one, I have voldemorts number so I'm ok there cheers. The modifications allowed are pretty free, as it's classed mainly by power to weight. It will need a rollcage but to be honest I could test without that and see how it goes before I go throwing £1000+ on a cage.

Last edited by P-Nut; 24th August 2018 at 07:23..
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote