Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2024, 21:36   #11
WiltshireTouring

MG ZT-T

Absolutely, if it was a mid-40s open top MG it could be considered but a smoke coughing ZT of the noughties deserves a bit of 21st Century love
Old 30th April 2024, 15:52   #12
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Well as mentioned the rotary coupler is designed to handle signal currents. I had one apart a couple of years ago and the ribbon was very thin, so it's good news - the coupler will probably contribute more to the steering wheel heating than your elements, before it gives up the ghost.
Hi Mike,
As I have not had one apart, I can only imagine. Could it be possible to add a thicker wire to the ribbon?
Mabey glue it at spaced points along the length and attach to the spare pins, or add new pins if required. That's assuming it can be disassembled enough to lay out the ribbon and be reassembled afterwards .

Lee.
Old 30th April 2024, 18:43   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

From what I remember Lee they are clipped together and split easily enough. You can then straighten the ribbon out and coil it back when you are finished. As to modifying it, there isn't much space available to add any wires and anything added will be far stiffer than the ribbon which might cause problems. One other thought - the airbag wiring also goes through the coupler so if it overheated and melted the ribbon you could in theory trigger the airbag. In the event of a short circuit in your heating element the fuse you use will probably take a higher current than the coupler ribbon and if it does the ribbon will act as the fuse and burn out.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 2nd May 2024 at 08:36..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 19:59   #14
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Thanks Mike. As Laurence is attempting a Good Mod, especially if you live in northern England. If anyone with helpful knowledge would be kind enough to post suggestions as to how this can be achieved, I will use my coupler and attempt my method, or a variation if anyone has any better ideas. Heated steering wheels for all sounds good doesn't it boys Get ya thinking caps on.

Lee.

Last edited by Lee T; 1st May 2024 at 01:28..
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 22:20   #15
WiltshireTouring

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Thanks Mike. As Laurence is attempting a Good Mod, especially if you live in northern England. If anyone with helpful knowledgeable would be kind enough to post suggestions as to how this can be achieved, I will use my coupler and attempt my method, or a variation if anyone has any better ideas. Heated steering wheels for all sounds good doesn't it boys Get ya thinking caps on.

Lee.
I would like to be a trend setter for sure

Having a Kia as a daily is a bit of a spoil when it comes to factory specs

How does the clock spring open? It looks like there are four inner clips?
Old 2nd May 2024, 08:43   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltshireTouring View Post
So I am halfway through a plan to install a heated steering wheel.

I've got the wiring from the battery sorted and I've already got the wheel retrimmed with heated elements in and tested it's all working.

Just out of interest what size fuse are you using for the element?
Old 5th May 2024, 10:32   #17
WiltshireTouring

MG ZT-T

Think it came as standard with a 15A fuse, I also have a 60A fuse on the mainline from the battery as a precaution.

I have been revisiting this today and am currently on the thinking of having a curly 12v cable within the steering wheel to allow for rotation.
Old 8th May 2024, 07:01   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Just checked to see if I had the old broken coupler to test it for you but sadly it's been thrown out. I would have shorted the two cruise wires together and fed them with a 12 volt supply from a battery via a 15 amp fuse. As long as the fuse blew you would be good to go, but I'd expect the cables to overheat, which would not be a fail safe circuit in the car.