Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2023, 13:20   #1
Lindy29

Rover 75 sALOON

Question Front door waistrail finisher

Hi all,
Some vandal tried to break in my Rover 75 lately (without success) but damaged the front door waistrail finisher.
Managed to purchase a new one from rimmerbros but before fixing it I need help because I don't want to do this randomly.

I found a post from Steve1966 in the forum but it dates from 16th October 2013 and all photos are unavailable so I am not 100% it relates exactly to the part I want to fix and also, without the photos I am afraid to miss some important info.

Maybe I get get some advice from anyone here?
Lindy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 16:30   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile Lindy29

Hello Lindy29,
I have seen your entry with your waist rail problem and tried PMÂ’ ing you but lose my message on pressing the send button.
The waist rail is in two pieces, a long piece from rear edge of the door to the rear edge of the door mirror base, and a short piece going beneath the mirror base to the front where it does a 145 degree turn to join another rail going along the top diagnosing edge of the door. Right at the end of ths short piece, there is a very small screw securing the end from inside the top of the door panel through a rubber block countersunk.
The main strip is held by 4 white plastic clips, Number 13 on the Rimmer parts drawing. I have these in front of me and I will put them together to see how they fit, and then take some photos which I will hopefully be able to send later.

Bye for now

Geoff
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2023, 18:09   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile Lindy29

Hello Lindy29,
I have seen your entry with your waist rail problem and tried PMÂ’ ing you but lose my message on pressing the send button.
The waist rail is in two pieces, a long piece from rear edge of the door to the rear edge of the door mirror base, and a short piece going beneath the mirror base to the front where it does a 145 degree turn to join another rail going along the top diagnosing edge of the door. Right at the end of ths short piece, there is a very small screw securing the end from inside the top of the door panel through a rubber block countersunk.
The main strip is held by 4 white plastic clips, Number 13 on the Rimmer parts drawing. I have these in front of me and I will put them together to see how they fit, and then take some photos which I will hopefully be able to send later.

Bye for now

Geoff7
Old 24th March 2023, 19:13   #4
Lindy29

Rover 75 sALOON

Thank you so much GeoffWW! Really nice of you
Old 24th March 2023, 20:49   #5
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Default Waist rail

Hello again Lindy29,
Sorry about the duplication of my earlier reply, I had had a couple of attempts and thought the first one failed.
I have taken some photos of the actual rail pieces and a complete unbroken white plastic clip which clips under the chrome section and then on to the top edge of the door. But I still can’t get the pictures from my picture library on to the forum entry. My sister phoned me and we were on FaceTime for over an hour.

I think you will have to remove the glass to get all the clips in place. I thought they could be “squeezed in” between the glass and the metal top of the door, but I still can’t see how the other pairs of clips, there are three pairs in each piece, hold the door-top and the waist rail together.
I remember raising the door-lock end of the Waistrail with a carving knife blade wrapped in plastic to protect the door paint and easing it up and rolling the Waistrail clockwise to free the holding clips, progressively working towards the door mirror. Please note on the front short section, besides the screw at the front end, there is a little hook that holds the two sections together at the join.
If only I could get the pictures to you, can E mail them to you outside the forum. A picture says a thousand words.
I will have another try at getting my pictures on the forum tomorrow. Attachment 88227 please see below in the additional options
Old 24th March 2023, 20:53   #6
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Finally some pictures although a duplication. I have more and will send them tomorrow.
Old 25th March 2023, 20:59   #7
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Default Lindy29

Hello again,
Here are three more pictures in reverse order
1. Of one of the 4 clips fitted at the end of the waistrail for demonstration purposes.
2. Showing a clip with the 3 pairs of clips, and the rubber circular pad which I think protects the glass.
3. The inside of the front hooked end showing the white plastic screw ‘receptor’.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEA70A25-3E41-4559-98D7-6BBBB4CB1877.jpg (17.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 803592B9-1080-428B-9F71-49473BE9FC79.jpg (14.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 248753AB-EB88-46E3-98EE-9AD2F53C5453.jpg (16.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 26th March 2023, 10:15   #8
Lindy29

Rover 75 sALOON

Good morning and thank you very much for taking time to reply and send those pictures.
I had a guess that the inside front screw had a role there but are you sure about having to remove the glass?

When I read that Steve1966's post I first mentioned, he did not seem to imply that step. I will try to post the link here.
Old 26th March 2023, 10:21   #9
Lindy29

Rover 75 sALOON

This the link:
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=161793
Old 26th March 2023, 13:31   #10
Lindy29

Rover 75 sALOON

I managed!! Many thanks! Yes it was important to remove the side mirror for the insertion of the front piece. Perfect fitting!!