Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2014, 20:14   #11
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post

You cannot use a rectifier on a DC input voltage.

A rectifier only works on an AC input and provides a DC output.

Dave T
Surely a diode (rectifier) will pass DC happily. In fact its characteristic will allow it to only pass DC in one direction. Hence its use in DC polarity protection applications.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 20:30   #12
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
Surely a diode (rectifier) will pass DC happily. In fact its characteristic will allow it to only pass DC in one direction. Hence its use in DC polarity protection applications.

Nige
Quite so.

I was referring to Klarzy's post.

"replaced sidelights on my ztt with quad ring led DRL's, each of these has what I can only assume to be a rectifier (4 in total) as the led rings will light whatever the input polarity."

This is the meaning of rectifier.

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

By rectifier I think the op means diode.

I don't know the reason you would fit diode's to drls. If you have diode's in the circuit then the led lights would light if you connected the wires one way round but not light the other way.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 20:39   #13
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

If a bridge circuit was used then the leds would light whatever polarity was applied. Obviously taking into account any voltage drop that no doubt would be factored in at design level.
Thanks for the definition of rectifier.

Nige

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Ennine; 20th December 2014 at 20:40.. Reason: and to any
Old 20th December 2014, 21:17   #14
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
Quite so.

I was referring to Klarzy's post.

"replaced sidelights on my ztt with quad ring led DRL's, each of these has what I can only assume to be a rectifier (4 in total) as the led rings will light whatever the input polarity."

This is the meaning of rectifier.

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

By rectifier I think the op means diode.

I don't know the reason you would fit diode's to drls. If you have diode's in the circuit then the led lights would light if you connected the wires one way round but not light the other way.

Dave T
I was aware that a bridge rectifier contains 4 diodes mounted in opposition and feeding mono polar current from an AC source by acting as a gate and normally balanced for the AC waveform by a capacitor.

the device as sold in the ebay add states a current stabiliser so as this is a Chinese product I read this as a voltage regulator, as the device will work in either polarity and produced a stable light at 9 or 12 volts I am assuming a rectifier / capacitor arrangement. The question is would 2 in parallel cause interference feedback on a 12v system fed by an alternator... especially one which I suspect has a less then 100% healthy charge controller....

deep breath...
Old 20th December 2014, 21:38   #15
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

It is quite possible that these units are causing noise on the feed (as you suspect). Does the navall take a illumination dim feed when the sidelights are on? Dropping the dim feed to the Nav' or hooking up a temp' feed to the lights direct form the battery (for example) may help to prove the point one way or the other.

Nige

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 20th December 2014, 21:59   #16
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
It is quite possible that these units are causing noise on the feed (as you suspect). Does the navall take a illumination dim feed when the sidelights are on? Dropping the dim feed to the Nav' or hooking up a temp' feed to the lights direct form the battery (for example) may help to prove the point one way or the other.

Nige
no, the facility is there but not used, the effect is only on the radio app also so I suspect as said before that there could be signal noise from the rear light wiring where it runs parallel to the aerial although this should be shielded coax... and the rear feed is separate after the LSM...

I have a similar issue on the other car but this causes interference when the hd cameras power up from a switched feed in the passenger fuse board...
Old 20th December 2014, 22:08   #17
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

If that's the case then it sounds very dirty (you know what I mean) indeed. As you suggest the cable must be screened. As you know, at RF frequencies that type of noise can creep in almost anywhere hence my question about the illumination feed, Is it remotely possible it is actually being picked up by the antenna itself ?
Nige
Just a thought. Do you own a 'scope ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Ennine; 20th December 2014 at 22:11..
Old 20th December 2014, 22:23   #18
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
If that's the case then it sounds very dirty (you know what I mean) indeed. As you suggest the cable must be screened. As you know, at RF frequencies that type of noise can creep in almost anywhere hence my question about the illumination feed, Is it remotely possible it is actually being picked up by the antenna itself ?
Nige
Just a thought. Do you own a 'scope ?
sadly no, had a fluke scopemeter but sold it when times were hard....

the coax route only encounters the lighting loom over the rear wheel arch, that is where I will look, but the issue was not there prior to the drl install so noise must be coming back through the LSM ??
Old 20th December 2014, 22:29   #19
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Having just done a very quick search it would seem that many of these DRL's Quote: "Many of the “online” products have proven to be unreliable and more concerning radiate vast amounts of RF noise effecting FM and DAB radio reception."
It would seem between 30 - 300 meg range. Looks like you may need some filtering!! I suppose you may be able to confirm it by running a hand held fm radio over the car. Obviously there would be no cable induced sympathy but if you pick it up on a stand alone radio you will know you are dealing with a fairly serious issue.
Sorry I can't be of any more help than that. I'm interested in anything Navall at the moment as I currently running cables for mine and trying to make it as future proof as possible.

Nige

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Ennine; 20th December 2014 at 22:30.. Reason: SP fingers