Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2011, 19:47   #1
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Default CD Player Seized - RESULT!

Searched on this forum and there's plenty about the sticking or jammimg CD cartridge and how to remove the player from the glovebox.

However my problem with my Alpine player was that the cartridge would eject - but it would not play and kept reading "No CD". I could hear it clicking and trying to read the CDs but to no avail. I tried a spare working cartridge - still no good. I searched the forums and found 4 other posts with apparently the same problem - and "helpful" advice about the sticking cartridge or even spraying the innards with WD40 - but no-one appeared to report that they had solved the problem.

Firstly, anyone with a CD player problem is advised to remove it, take off the top casing, then reconnect in the footwell of the car with the innards open for inspection. (Naturally, BEWARE THE EXPOSED LASER). Watching what is or isn't happening can be very revealing.

It showed that the machine was trying to read each CD by rising up and down the cartridge CD by CD - but couldn't pull the CDs across to the player.

The big cog (Photo 4) which is revealed when the lid is off can usually be turned by hand (eg to release a sticking cartridge) but mine had seized solid. And the car has done only 27k... .

THE FAULT - was simply a drive cog (its on the end of the spindle that meshes with the big cog in Photo 4) that was not meshing with its worm drive (see Photo 8 - sorry the photo is taken after the problem has been rectified - note there is plenty of lubricant around the mechhanism too!). To check this drive cog on the other side (underneath) of the player meant releasing if from the chassis by removing the floating suspension rubber bungs

The worm had somehow risen on top of the cog it was supposed to be meshing with - and just would not budge. You'd think any vibration would have made it reseat properly (but no) - all it took to rectify was a slight nudge with the tip of a screwdriver and heypresto - all working as it should. I have to say that both son and I thought the motor "B" had packed up - until his sharp eyes spotted what might just be a fault that others have experienced?

Push out the gel/rubber bungs and disconnect the springs - watch out as this can fly away - moving it first to the position shown below reduces a lot of the tension. (Long nosed pliers are useful for reconnecting).

Last edited by Bartonrover; 11th May 2011 at 19:56..
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 22:27   #2
uvs166
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Tourer

Thumbs up

this looks like great news. I will take mine out tomorrow and have a look at it.
Thanks loads.
Malc.

Sorted Thanks a lot now working great
Malc

Last edited by uvs166; 14th May 2011 at 13:35.. Reason: Thanks
uvs166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 17:26   #3
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

You're welcome and pleased you got yours sorted too. Have to say my young son deserves a lot of the credit for spotting the reason for the fault.
Old 24th May 2011, 18:07   #4
Robbie Sadr
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CD changer issue

Hi guys,
I have removed the unit from the glove box and released the screws of the cover but just cannot see how the cover will come off without damaging something!
What do I need to do to access the internal gubbins???
I thought I was practical but this has me beat - big time...
Cheers
Robbie
Robbie Sadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 18:15   #5
Robbie Sadr
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CD changer issue

I'm having problems removing the metal cover of the changer, how does it release? I have removed all the fixing screws but cannot see how to release the clipsyou have identified and guess I have missed something somewhere....
Robbie
Old 24th May 2011, 19:02   #6
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sadr View Post
I'm having problems removing the metal cover of the changer, how does it release? I have removed all the fixing screws but cannot see how to release the clipsyou have identified and guess I have missed something somewhere....
Robbie
Robbie - you need to push the clips in, so that they are no longer proud - as I recall there are clips on both sides - an helper/extra pair of hands can be useful. The cover is quite flimsly and needs some gentle persuasion (ie bending!) - but will come off. Quite sharp edges too. HtH. Robert
Old 24th May 2011, 19:18   #7
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Robbie - see also post No. 8 on this thread - I forgot to mention the metal tabs at the corners:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ghlight=player
Old 24th May 2011, 20:55   #8
Spitfire
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Club Saloon

Hi. Had The Same Fault & Removed My CD Player This evening.
Is Now Freed Off & Working Again. Quite An Easy Fix
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 21:48   #9
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hi. Had The Same Fault & Removed My CD Player This evening.
Is Now Freed Off & Working Again. Quite An Easy Fix
Good to hear. One further thought for anyone struggling to remove the top of their player. Some have posted in the past that a jammed CD plyer has been cured by giving it a heavy whallop. I suspect they do not know why - but if it's the fault I had then a blow or jolt might well cause the cog and worm to re-engage.

However bear in mind that the player's suspension system is designed especially to prevent sudden jolts from affecting it - and I don't like the idea of giving an instrument a blow when a little nudge with a screwsdriver blade would do it. But if you don't fancy removing the player's cover then a sideways blow at the front of the right side (as you would look at it in the glove box) might do the trick. On the other hand, you could do other damage..
Old 25th May 2011, 21:50   #10
Robbie Sadr
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CD changer issue

Originally Posted by Robbie Sadr
Robbie

Robbie - you need to push the clips in, so that they are no longer proud - as I recall there are clips on both sides - an helper/extra pair of hands can be useful. The cover is quite flimsly and needs some gentle persuasion (ie bending!) - but will come off. Quite sharp edges too. HtH. Robert

Well, after following the instructions and coping with lots of interruptions all went back together OK and six CDs are recognised and the system works well. I couldn't see anything out of line but moved a few parts to check they weren't jammed and that seems to have cured the problem.
Thanks for all the support, especially Bartonrover - the photos wer excellent support and the tabs problem was so easy to overcome once explained - many thanks...
Robbie Sadr