Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2021, 04:58   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Two killed in Tesla crash

Apparently two men, one sitting in the back and one sitting in the front passenger seat have been killed as the driverless 2019 Tesla Model S failed to negotiate a bend at high speed and hit a tree. This latest crash of a Tesla happened in Texas.

Last month the US Highway Traffic Safety Administration confirmed it was investigating 27 crashes of Tesla vehicles.

And now a separate report from Sky News says that Police in Texas will serve search warrants on Tesla following this latest crash.

It seems that in a tweet of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, he states that “Data logs recovered so far show that autopilot was not enabled and that this car did not purchase FSD (full self driving) - standard autopilot would require lane lines to turn on, which this street did not have”.

It looks like the police are a bit miffed - “If he is tweeting that out, if he has already pulled the data, he hasn’t told us that”.

A witness apparently stated that “they (the victims) left to test drive the vehicle without a driver and to show a friend how it can drive itself”.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 06:57   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Stupid isn't going away any time soon.

I'm not sure if I've posted this on here before!!! But Musk is a good snake oil salesman, He reckons that FSD is almost ready to be released, Not if this guys testing it out is anything to go by

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 08:10   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I know there will be people saying I am old fashioned but allowing a computer to take control of my life to this degree is a step to far. How often does your PC crash/ lockup or just plain do a stupid thing?

A friend who is a pilot for BA was telling me that the computers do most stuff on modern airlines but they must always have two people in the cockpit for when it goes wrong, not IF but WHEN. This automation has been around for a long time with aircraft and they still dont trust it 100%.

There are 3 things in your life that will always give you problems, things with mammary glands, things with wheels and things with batteries. Potentially you could mix all 3.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 12:10   #4
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Stupid isn't going away any time soon.

I'm not sure if I've posted this on here before!!! But Musk is a good snake oil salesman, He reckons that FSD is almost ready to be released, Not if this guys testing it out is anything to go by

Found pressing the imaginary brake pedal myself running through that clip.
Wow that scares me and if this technology gets adopted in the UK I would advise being extra cautious if you see a Tesla in your vicinity.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 12:18   #5
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Absolutely not.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 10:31   #6
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Apparently two men, one sitting in the back and one sitting in the front passenger seat have been killed as the driverless 2019 Tesla Model S failed to negotiate a bend at high speed and hit a tree. This latest crash of a Tesla happened in Texas.
In the UK this happens WITH drivers though they don't necessarily were born with brain cells or acquired common sense.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 10:34   #7
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A friend who is a pilot for BA was telling me that the computers do most stuff on modern airlines but they must always have two people in the cockpit for when it goes wrong, not IF but WHEN. This automation has been around for a long time with aircraft and they still dont trust it 100%.
Boeing 737 Max is a case in point. Usually it is firmware or software rather than hardware.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:42   #8
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Now thermal runaway: something else to worry about.

According to the New York TImes, the local fire chief said:
“It took four hours to put out a fire that normally would have taken a matter of minutes,” Constable Herman said, adding that it took more than 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.

Regulators have raised concerns about the batteries used in electric vehicles. The National Transportation Safety Board warned in a 2020 report that the batteries can pose safety risks to emergency responders.
Mitchell Weston, chief investigator at the Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office, said that while the batteries are “generally safe,” impacts at high speeds can result in “thermal runaway,” which causes an “uncontrolled contact” between different materials in the batteries.

Thermal runaway can lead to fires, as well as “battery reignition,” even after an initial fire is put out, the safety board warned in its report. Mitsubishi Electric warns that “thermal runaway can lead to catastrophic results, including fire, explosion, sudden system failure, costly damage to equipment, and possibly personal injury.”
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:10   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
According to the New York TImes, the local fire chief said:
“It took four hours to put out a fire that normally would have taken a matter of minutes,” Constable Herman said, adding that it took more than 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.

Regulators have raised concerns about the batteries used in electric vehicles. The National Transportation Safety Board warned in a 2020 report that the batteries can pose safety risks to emergency responders.
Mitchell Weston, chief investigator at the Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office, said that while the batteries are “generally safe,” impacts at high speeds can result in “thermal runaway,” which causes an “uncontrolled contact” between different materials in the batteries.

Thermal runaway can lead to fires, as well as “battery reignition,” even after an initial fire is put out, the safety board warned in its report. Mitsubishi Electric warns that “thermal runaway can lead to catastrophic results, including fire, explosion, sudden system failure, costly damage to equipment, and possibly personal injury.”

The firefighters in Germany have had to employ new methods for putting out BEV fires, They just submerge it in a tank of water. https://jalopnik.com/firefighters-dr...-wa-1833582453

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 11:17   #10
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

If what Musk says is true, the owner of that Tesla didn't understand how the system works and, more importantly, what conditions were needed to make it work. I can imagine when you buy a new one everything is explained in detail but what about buying used? If someone part-ex'd a Tesla at a Mercedes dealership I can't see how a Merc salesman is going to know the car inside and out.
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote