Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2018, 20:08   #1
SpaceAce
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Intermittent Steering Controls - Rotary Coupler or Switches?

After fitting a new ICE in my 2001 75 I'm finding that the SWC volume control is very intermittent, the mode and next track buttons are occasionally intermittent but work most of the time and the cruise controls are fine all the time.

This says to me that it is more likely a worn out volume micro switch (used most often probably?) than the rotary coupler.

Does anyone have a view please?

Or a low mileage set of controls (inc. Cruise ) for sale?

Cheers

Last edited by SpaceAce; 6th August 2018 at 20:12..
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 01:15   #2
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Do you find that they don't work at all? Or just give you the wrong functions (i.e Vol+ becoming Track+)?

Last edited by neilbaker86; 7th August 2018 at 01:29..
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 05:59   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

This happens to me too. You'll set them up and then a few days later the +vol will turn down the sound as well as the -vol. The power off won't work and stuff like that. While the controls are playing up, a reset won't work, the buttons won't respond to the input. In a couple of days they'll respond and you can set the controls up again. This is on my 04 (Facelift) same thing happened with my Y reg too. Dunno if the switches are sealed but gonna take a look at them. All ideas welcome.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 10:52   #4
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
This happens to me too. You'll set them up and then a few days later the +vol will turn down the sound as well as the -vol. The power off won't work and stuff like that. While the controls are playing up, a reset won't work, the buttons won't respond to the input. In a couple of days they'll respond and you can set the controls up again. This is on my 04 (Facelift) same thing happened with my Y reg too. Dunno if the switches are sealed but gonna take a look at them. All ideas welcome.

When you say 'set them up', does your radio have a learning function for the steering wheel controls?
Old 7th August 2018, 20:54   #5
SpaceAce
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
Do you find that they don't work at all? Or just give you the wrong functions (i.e Vol+ becoming Track+)?
They are all set up ok on the head unit. They work fine with the correct functions then not. Worst offender is the volume control, so I suspect worn out micro switch as this is the one you would use most....but not sure tbh
Old 7th August 2018, 22:36   #6
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAce View Post
They are all set up ok on the head unit. They work fine with the correct functions then not. Worst offender is the volume control, so I suspect worn out micro switch as this is the one you would use most....but not sure tbh

Yes, the problem is the switches work through a resistance network (analogue signal), so as the contacts tarnish on the switches the resistance changes and therefore the microcontroller thinks you've pushed something else. Even with new switches you can get this problem as you make (or break) the contact on the switch - if it isn't a clean on/off action the resistance can vary enough to again confuse the micro.

I have a project in the works that will solve this problem permanently, and give you some other features which I suspect (and hope) you and many others will be interested in. A prototype is being produced as we speak, so you may want to hang on for a few weeks...
Old 8th August 2018, 17:49   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
When you say 'set them up', does your radio have a learning function for the steering wheel controls?
Yes, there's a dedicated icon on the settings screen. You highlight the function, press the button you want to allocate to it and it goes grey, then exit the screen.
Old 9th August 2018, 12:59   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Do or die (and I aint suggesting you do this) Pulled mine apart and sprayed liberally with WD. Wiped as dry as possible with a tissue and put it all back. So far so good, there's a positive click as the buttons depress which wasn't there before. If they dry out fully and fail again, I'll have a re-think.