Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2009, 16:17   #121
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Guido - even after mopping up all the coolant in the vee, I can't pinpoint the leak because the manifolds are in the way. My guess is it's the main O ring on the thermostat housing (pic) because that section of the vee contains more coolant than the other two sections.

When fitting the metal housing (12th September) the O ring that came with it refused to go into the block without snagging, so it was replaced with the standard MGR ring which looks slightly thinner in diameter. The MGR ring didn't leak when the system was pressure tested on the 12th and I didn't notice any drop in coolant before last week. If it's not the O ring though I can't think where the main leak is coming from.

Btw - I first found the leak last Wednesday (daytime) when I spotted two separate puddles on the floor. Two puddles indicates that the leak had been going on for at least two days. The vee was full of coolant and the expansion tank was low but not empty. On Wednesday night I did a 1-2 mile trip, then re-checked the level with the engine warm - again the tank was low but not empty. By Thursday morning, the tank was completely empty and the area around it was soaked in coolant. As you say, the only explanation for this second leak is I left the cap slightly unscrewed - or the cap itself has suddenly gone kaput (highly unlikely).

Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 21:43   #122
Simon W
This is my second home

Just had another look with the engine idling at full temp and found two other things (apart from the leaks).

1. Hissing sound coming from the breather pipe (the one with the red collar connector) on front cylinder bank (KV6). Turns out the end of the black plastic pipe is cracked. Does anyone know the p/n and cost of the pipe?

2. Loud intermittent clatter coming from the battery end of the manifold (deafening if 'listening' with a screwdriver). Noise sometimes goes away then sometimes comes back again! Approx location of listening point is shown in Haynes 4B*10 pic 12.5a which appears to be the purge valve. Is the clattering noise normal (I've never heard it before) or has something else gone kaput?
Old 5th October 2009, 21:48   #123
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Purge valve doe smake a noise.comes and goes so no worries there
Is it the main T piece assembly that has come adrift ? I can get one in no problems.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 20:38   #124
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Simon bear in mind there are problems sourcing the bent pipe from the Stat kit. Any vehicles due in will not get a stat change atm.
Old 6th October 2009, 21:06   #125
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Purge valve doe smake a noise.comes and goes so no worries there
Is it the main T piece assembly that has come adrift ? I can get one in no problems.
Lates - no, it's the breather pipe that goes into the red push-in connector on front cam cover (pipe-end cracked at push-in connector) - see no1 here: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001700 Gary at Rimmers has got one for me - I'm not sure whether to get no2 as well (?)

PS. This purge valve sounds like a drunk kicking a tin can round Tesco's car park.
Old 6th October 2009, 21:10   #126
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

No need for item no2. More concerned about the lack of bent pipes atm.
Old 6th October 2009, 21:12   #127
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Simon bear in mind there are problems sourcing the bent pipe from the Stat kit. Any vehicles due in will not get a stat change atm.
Which bent pipe Lates? Do you mean the one on the left in pic, or a hose?

Btw, if it's the main O ring that's slow-leaking (Pete changed Kaiser's one for a slimmer MGR version) we don't know what diameter Kaiser's original was - which could be a snag on Saturday.

Old 6th October 2009, 21:16   #128
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

The pipe on the left shaped "r" is the one I cannot get in. Sent pete a text ref the "fatter O rings"
Old 6th October 2009, 21:18   #129
Simon W
This is my second home

PS to above. I ran the engine up to full temp again tonight and left it idling for 10 minutes - no sudden increase in leak. So I think whatever is leaking is doing it slowly (so far).
Old 6th October 2009, 21:21   #130
Simon W
This is my second home

PPS. Can't see properly with the manifolds on - but I don't think it's the sealed joint in the metal housing (top to bottom joint on main body).

Could be one of the black plastic clips though (on the pipes) - but I can't see them properly either.