Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2015, 11:38   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Spinning boot barrel mod/fix by using just 1x screw - No replacement parts needed

Spinning boot barrel mod/fix by using just 1x screw.
No replacement parts needed.

One day my key would just turn around in the boot barrel without actually opening the boot.

The cause of this problem is due to the alloy metal end piece within the barrel breaks in two places.
There is a large black plastic triangle piece that has two plastic lugs which slot into the alloy section, the two plastic lugs also break.

This then causes the key barrel to just keep turning without unlocking the boot, this is due to the broken lugs not able to turn the triangle piece section that triggers the micro switch to unlock the boot catch.

IF YOU CANNOT SOURCE A REPLACEMENT LOCK.
THEN THIS HOW TO WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO FIX YOUR MECHANISM BY USING JUST 1x METAL SCREW.

YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BARREL & MECHANISM OUT FROM THE BOOT.
ALL CAN BE PERFORMED WITH THE BARREL/MECHANISM STILL IN SITU (still fitted to boot).

1: Removed the boot door-card by popping out the black plastic fixers. You will see the boot barrel mechanism top right of boot.

2: Pop out the metal striker bar from the red clip that is attached to the large plastic triangle end piece.

3: With a small flat headed screwdriver carefully removed the cir-clip and carefully lift the black plastic triangle end piece downwards (you may find the metal alloy broken pieces and the black plastic lugs will just fall out).

4: The metal alloy end piece will stay in its position, you will not have to disturb this section at all.

5: Remove the spring from the black plastic triangle piece and inspect the two lugs. You will most probably find one or both plastic lugs have broken off, this is why your key barrel just spins (you will just see a footprint where the lugs were attached).

6: Drill one hole exactly to the centre on each lug footprint, use a small precision drill bit. Please Note: Only one hole will be used, this is because I found the cir-clip would cover the other hole, even when adjusting the cir-clip over to one-side).

7: The screws must not be to long, no longer that the black collar moulding (you can just see the tips of each screw).

8: Only one screw will be needed. Remove both screws from the black plastic triangle piece.

9: Now refit the spring back into the black plastic triangle piece, making sure you hook both ends of the spring over the plastic edge moulding.

10: You can now reassemble the black plastic triangle piece back onto the barrel lock mechanism in the boot. Just offer-up the triangle piece over the barrel centre pin and line up the ends of the spring to the lower gaps in the metal alloy end piece (the piece that has broken where the plastic lugs would normally slot in). Everything just slots in carefully, once all in place you can refit the cir-clip.

11: You will find the cir-clip will cover one hole, you can rotate the cir-clip but one hole will always be covered. So choose a hole that suits you and screw in the small screw. The screw is now in position where originally one of the black plastic lugs would normally be, this screw will now act as one of the lugs as a stopper to turn the triangle piece to strike the micro switch when the key is turned.

12: Job done.

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.
The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of this How-To can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result
of you following this How-To.

Last edited by Dragrad; 17th April 2015 at 21:22.. Reason: Disclaimer added.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 12:00   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Well done Perhaps this should go in the how-to section , if there is a nice Mod on duty
Old 17th April 2015, 12:07   #3
albert81
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

If u could please tell us what screws did u use... what size that'l be much appreciated...
albert81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 13:49   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert81 View Post
If u could please tell us what screws did u use... what size that'l be much appreciated...
Micro screw size 2mm, thread length is 6mm. Can be found in watches, clocks, spectacles (eye glasses), kids toys (even the packaging fixing the toy to the packaging).
Old 17th April 2015, 13:51   #5
albert81
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

My son is about to get a new toy....
Thank you
albert81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 14:01   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert81 View Post
My son is about to get a new toy....
Thank you
Brilliant! luv it... made me laugh.
Old 17th April 2015, 16:17   #7
OddSox
Gets stuck in

2002. Rover 75 saloon club se. 1.8 vvc. Moonstone green.

Great how-to and nice clear pics.

Nice little fix that Dallas and something i have done before on many an item.

It always impresses me to see when someone has thought of a way of fixing something and making it better than it was before, instead of buying a whole new part and throwing the old one away.

You are a man after my own heart..Well done matey.

Last edited by OddSox; 17th April 2015 at 16:19..
OddSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 19:37   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

Thanks oddsox
The idea came to me this morning, the job itself only took 10 or so minutes. It actually took me longer taking the pics and doing the write up.
Old 17th April 2015, 21:18   #9
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Well done Perhaps this should go in the how-to section , if there is a nice Mod on duty
Nice one Westley

Now in the How To's for posterity

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 17th April 2015 at 21:22..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 21:53   #10
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Members carried out this repair at the nano this week. thanks for the info saved the member day thanks for a very useful how too
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote