Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2007, 17:37   #1
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Default I came across a Techincal Bulletin...

Hi Everyone

Again back on the subject of my cars misfire, however MOT is fast approaching and Im worried that it will not pass so am hunting for a cure to my problem.

Well I came across this Techincal Bulletin....

Quote:
Model/Derivative:
All models (with K series engines)
Date: 04.12.2002
Title:MISFIRE – SPARK PLUG HT TERMINAL EROSION

Affected Range:
All vehicles with K series engines up to the following engine numbers:
KV6 - 234869 onwards
K4 - 564082 onwards
K4 - 735521 onwards
Production Introduction date: 6 November 2002

Description:
Reports of engine misfire either intermittent or continuous. This condition can be caused by poor contact between the HT cap and the spark plug. All factory fitted spark plugs fitted up to the above change point had nickel-plated HT terminals. Oxidisation formed on nickel-plated terminals during the plug manufacturing process can cause slight friction between the terminal and the HT cap during fitment. During assembly the factory operator believes that cap has been fitted correctly i.e. pushed all the way on, but in reality the cap may not have made a complete connection with the spark plug terminal. Initially this gives no problem, i.e. the HT current bridges the gap
successfully, however in time erosion occurs at this point which results in misfire.
I was wondering if this could be the cause of my misfire? The reason why I am thinking this is because around this time the car was for sale in a non mgr garage in Maidstone, so would the garage have been aware of this? Even though I have had my spark plugs and HT Leads changed I am wondering if the garage I took it to (which was recommended by my brother, I would NEVER take the car there again) used the new type of HT Leads and spark plugs which don't cause this problem?

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 07:51   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Is this problem still going on?

Have you taken it to Lates yet so he can make an informed assessment and then report back here?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 17:25   #3
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Is this problem still going on?

Have you taken it to Lates yet so he can make an informed assessment and then report back here?
No not yet Keith. I have read very good reports on Lates however it is a very long way to go just to have the car looked at. I understand that Lates is highly recommended it just seems to far to travel to have the car looked at. If I do get a free weekend (which is very, very rare, bringing up to children on my own...wife passed away 1998).

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote