Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2014, 16:51   #1
RandyRover

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Post How-To: Repair IPK message centre LCD

Symptom: Message Centre LCD in the top part of the IPK is not showing several lines of pixels.

Cure: Follow this how-to to fix it.

Prepare to spend an hour of 4 to 5 on this DIY job. I managed to do this in one afternoon, starting after lunch and just finished with satisfying result before dinner.

Tools required:
1. Philips PH2 screw driver
2. Torx T10 bit or T10 screw driver
3. Flat-bladed scissors.
4. Soldering iron
5. Flat iron
6. Some big books / at least one hard covered
7. 2 pieces of rubber (2mm X width of the ribbon) (e.g. spare ones from a set of bike lights available from Halfrauds)

Step 1:
Follow the steps in this thread to get inside the IPK: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=10542

Step 2:
Work the IPK open until you get to see this. Mind the black and white connectors holding the back closed until you release the little latches at the bottom of those connectors!

Since we see missing lines of pixels it is most likely that the problem is caused by bad connections in the white ribbon cable that carries the signals for each individual pixel. Nevertheless checking the soldered connections between the brown controller flap and the green circuit board of the IPK wouldn’t hurt while being at it.

Step 3:
Use a small soldering iron at approx. 300°C to go over each connection track, making sure it connects well.

However the biggest problem is the connection between the brown flap and the white ribbon cable.

Step 4:
Stack 2 or 3 books on top of each other and put the LCD on top of the stack of books (hard coverd one on top) with the IPK sitting on it’s bottom, so it stands on the desk like it normally sits in the car. Now use the flat iron at medium setting to apply heat and pressure on the connection between the brown flap and the ribbon.

Gently also apply heat to the connection between the ribbon and the LCD itself.

Place a small strap of rubber in between the notches on the translucent plastic sheet and tape it down, like in the picture above (black bar on the translucent plastic sheet).

Put the LCD back in its holder on the translucent plastic.

After doing this and taking the unit back to the car in the current shape to test it still shows some lines but it already got much better.

Applying pressure to the connection between the brown flap and the ribbon gave a nearly perfect result; all we need now is finding a way to keep constant pressure on the connection while the IPK is being closed.

Step 5:
Looking at the black back of the IPK there seems to be some sort of bridge to keep the ribbon in place, but I’ve found it doesn’t apply pressure to the ribbon. We’re going to use 2 pieces of rubber placed on top of each other to apply a constant pressure to the ribbon connection (unfortunately no picture of this step).

Step 6:
Now screw back together the IPK in reverse order, making sure the ribbon gets pressed between the newly placed rubber and the back of the IPK.

I’m driving around with a renewed message center for about a month now and it still works! Only 3 to 4 lines are still visible on the sides of the LCD panel, only visible in yellow but all text is displayed as it should!

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of these How-To's can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following these How-To's.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.
RandyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:16   #2
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Well done!
I think you may be the 1st person to do this!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:42   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Nice work, I did something similar a few weeks ago when the voltage regulation started to fail on my IPK.

A little trick I found then was to use Teflon sheet over the ribbon connector end and a wide tipped solder bit. Doing that I could heat the joints thoroughly without fear of burning the ribbon and distorting it.

The issues come if the ribbon itself is cracked..

well done though
Old 20th May 2014, 18:50   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Very well done and brave man.

I did always wonder if the problem could be helped or cured by the application of pressure pads in suitable places.

One criticism I would offer is that this really needs more photos to give those attempting it a better idea of the layout, disassembly and etc..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:56   #5
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Very well done and brave man.

I did always wonder if the problem could be helped or cured by the application of pressure pads in suitable places.

One criticism I would offer is that this really needs more photos to give those attempting it a better idea of the layout, disassembly and etc..
Well its not a criticism, a more of please!
My IKP is fine at the moment but if/then it starts to play up I would have a go at repairing but would need some pictures to go by.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Old 20th May 2014, 18:57   #6
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I have a new unit with line problems coming soon Harry, I intend to document my attempts to fix it for just this reason. I will use the op's learnings as part of that...

as you said, brave if it's your only one... mind you its only the message part that could be damaged, you would still be able to drive while you got another...
Old 20th May 2014, 18:59   #7
Simon.h
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
I have a new unit with line problems coming soon Harry, I intend to document my attempts to fix it for just this reason. I will use the op's learnings as part of that...

as you said, brave if it's your only one... mind you its only the message part that could be damaged, you would still be able to drive while you got another...
Can't wait for the 'how to' then.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Old 20th May 2014, 19:50   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post

That would be good, please!

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 20:08   #9
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Done this lots of times, in fact the very early IPK's did have a rubber block in the back cover.
Also be aware this may only work in 1 of 3 or 4 IPK's but still worth trying all the same.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 20:41   #10
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Even though this process might not cure all LCD issues, especially if the rubbon is fracturing, this is still commendable as it's the first how-to to address these issues.