Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2014, 15:17   #1
nebrog23
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default How to rid your air con of smells.

Last summer I had a terrible smell in the air con and tried the sprays you use down the vents. These helped a little but it was suggested the best way is to spray the foam up the air con drain tubes straight on to the evaporator.

Unfortunately the drain tubes have a couple of sharp bends and the rubber pipe has several ribs in it making it difficult to insert the tube up to the evaporator.
An alternative is to remove the drain from inside the car and spray any treatment straight on to the evaporator.

1. Remove the cover above the pedals ( 2 screws and 2 plastic clips)and the footwell vent cover.
2. Remove the foot rest ( two 8mm bolts under the small plastic covers)
3. Remove centre console side panel
4. Fold back the carpet at the back nearest the heater/centre console.

You will be presented with this ( you can see the hose slid into the bottom of the evaporator housing)

5. Slide the hose off

6. Use your product of choice( I used Einszett Air conditioning cleaner from ebay)

Another picture

7.Replace the hose (I used a little silicon spray to help slide the pipe back on) and reassemble

The passenger side is exactly the same to do. I did this to ensure an even spread of foam. I then ran the air conditioning for 10minutes.

I actually replaced my drain tubes altogether as both had the end caps missing and one was split. They are still available new for a few quid.

Whilst doing the passenger side I noticed the evaporator housing can be accessed by removing a cover if you have a really persistent smell but I left this in place.

Hope this is helpful with summer approaching.

Last edited by nebrog23; 6th April 2014 at 15:25..
nebrog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 16:09   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

thanks for that, I've been mulling over investigating access to the evaporator for ages to try and give it a better clean, as like you I hadn't had a 100% success with spraying down the vents and up the drain tubes from underneath. One more thing to add to the 'must do' list...

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 17:59   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I've used an air con bomb before, got rid of the damp dog smell when I first got the car, nothing else worked.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 18:48   #4
nebrog23
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
thanks for that, I've been mulling over investigating access to the evaporator for ages to try and give it a better clean, as like you I hadn't had a 100% success with spraying down the vents and up the drain tubes from underneath. One more thing to add to the 'must do' list...

I couldn't believe how accessible the drain pipes where, hopefully it should sort the problem more easily.
Old 6th April 2014, 20:21   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

I'll be giving it a go next weekend while I do the service.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 13th April 2014, 18:15   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Couldn't see it from the passenger side, maybe a little cut to the carpet would have helped. Got to it from the driver side OK, and have filled it with foam twice, putting that driver footrest back was awkward though. I'll find out if that has been more effective tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 13th April 2014, 18:52   #7
nebrog23
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

The carpet should pull out from under the heater and fold back. Hopefully you should notice an improvement. Let us know
Old 15th April 2014, 12:08   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

So far so good, I've been running the air-con without it being in 'economy' mode for a change and no nasty smells yet (well since the caustic/bleach smell cleared). I suspect that it only gets as smelly as it does due to being left in economy mode most of the time (must get around to fixing the slow (cooling) fan speed).

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 15th April 2014, 12:36   #9
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Subscribed for future reference
doopydug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 23:08   #10
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrog23 View Post
Last summer I had a terrible smell in the air con and tried the sprays you use down the vents. These helped a little but it was suggested the best way is to spray the foam up the air con drain tubes straight on to the evaporator.

Unfortunately the drain tubes have a couple of sharp bends and the rubber pipe has several ribs in it making it difficult to insert the tube up to the evaporator.
An alternative is to remove the drain from inside the car and spray any treatment straight on to the evaporator.

1. Remove the cover above the pedals ( 2 screws and 2 plastic clips)and the footwell vent cover.
2. Remove the foot rest ( two 8mm bolts under the small plastic covers)
3. Remove centre console side panel
4. Fold back the carpet at the back nearest the heater/centre console.

You will be presented with this ( you can see the hose slid into the bottom of the evaporator housing)

5. Slide the hose off

6. Use your product of choice( I used Einszett Air conditioning cleaner from ebay)

Another picture

7.Replace the hose (I used a little silicon spray to help slide the pipe back on) and reassemble

The passenger side is exactly the same to do. I did this to ensure an even spread of foam. I then ran the air conditioning for 10minutes.

I actually replaced my drain tubes altogether as both had the end caps missing and one was split. They are still available new for a few quid.

Whilst doing the passenger side I noticed the evaporator housing can be accessed by removing a cover if you have a really persistent smell but I left this in place.

Hope this is helpful with summer approaching.
Hi, Hope you can help. (a great how to by th way)

Mine smells a bit too.. I some how don't fancy taking it all to bits though as getting it back together perfect probably wont happen for me.

Im guessing my drain holes could be blocked because when I go work with air con on its doesn't drip on th floor like all th other cars iv had (not 75's).. But when I go home at night and have th air con off it steams th front windows up really quickly and smells then.. Do you think I can I rod them from under th car?? Also I wonder where you can get them air con bombs from??

Thanks for reading.

Phil