Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2014, 12:06   #1
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Default Rear Damper lower bolt query

Just fitted a pair of rear dampers and have a query . The bottom bolts are torqued up very tight to 114 lbs.ft and have a large diameter washer between bolt head and damper . Having managed to finally achieve that torque whilst reaching in under the car I am concerned that I got up to 110 and the big washer was still free to turn . Only with the last nip did the washer get clamped .
Shouldn't that washer have been clamped before that at a lower torque, or is it not meant to be clamped up tight ?
I am worried that the bolt , which is a dog bolt with a guide pin end, has bottomed-out before the clamping force was achieved
I used new bolts from Rimmers . Could always try the old bolts again or fit another washer under the head .
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:32   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Just fitted a pair of rear dampers and have a query . The bottom bolts are torqued up very tight to 114 lbs.ft and have a large diameter washer between bolt head and damper . Having managed to finally achieve that torque whilst reaching in under the car I am concerned that I got up to 110 and the big washer was still free to turn . Only with the last nip did the washer get clamped .
Shouldn't that washer have been clamped before that at a lower torque, or is it not meant to be clamped up tight ?
I am worried that the bolt , which is a dog bolt with a guide pin end, has bottomed-out before the clamping force was achieved
I used new bolts from Rimmers . Could always try the old bolts again or fit another washer under the head .
It won't have bottomed out as the threaded section in the rear hub is open ended.
If the harmonic damper is not rotating, and your torque wrench is accurate, then it'll be fine

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:15   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

Thanks for that Brian , but two things The threaded section on mine is not quite open -ended ; it steps down to the thread root diameter into which the plain nose of the "dog bolt" protrudes ( see picture) - sort of a guide arrangement , so it could bottom out .
dog bolt 2.jpg
Secondly , my dampers do not have the harmonic "damper weight" on the bottom mount , just the large failsafe washer ( item 11 on here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001548.) I have had the car since it was very low mileage so I am pretty sure they have never been removed . Was this an alternative arrangement ? Rimmer's listing suggests they were used on 16 and 17" wheels .My copy of Haynes shows the "Damper Weight" but my copy of Rave doesn't !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog bolt.jpg (935 Bytes, 257 views)

Last edited by chris75; 3rd February 2014 at 16:51..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:50   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The harmonic dampers were added during Project Drive.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:26   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The PD Guide indicates 75 diesels and all MGs got the damper. Presumably petrol 75s don't apply according to this (Item 27): http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=34369

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:48   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The harmonic dampers were added during Project Drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The PD Guide indicates 75 diesels and all MGs got the damper. Presumably petrol 75s don't apply according to this (Item 27): http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=34369

TC
Thank you both for that ; happier now I know nothing is missing !
Still not sure that I have adequately "clamped" the shock ; think I may need to add an extra washer under the bolt head .
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:20   #7
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Odd - from my personal experience, I am sure that the washer would have been tight before 110lbs.ft.

I would personally take it apart and check everything - did you have the washer dished away from the damper mounting? It is supposed to be dished away, not towards.

I had the problem that the bolt wouldn't undo, I just about managed to get it undone but it destroyed the thread as it came out
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 15:34   #8
chris75
same car since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Odd - from my personal experience, I am sure that the washer would have been tight before 110lbs.ft.

I would personally take it apart and check everything - did you have the washer dished away from the damper mounting? It is supposed to be dished away, not towards.

I had the problem that the bolt wouldn't undo, I just about managed to get it undone but it destroyed the thread as it came out
Thanks for that My concern is indeed that the washer should have been tight long before that . The washer is dished facing away from the damper
They did undo relatively easily , with a 30" breaker bar !!!
Old 4th February 2014, 17:19   #9
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Yep, I think I used something similar.... maybe I should have tried some heat, that stripped thread cost me £90

I would be tempted to remove the bolt and then compare the old and new bolts and the old and new dampers, and check the hub attachment point to see if it has been 'skimmed' or something like that.

This might all be totally unneccessary and pointless, but that's what I would do just for peace of mind
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 18:39   #10
chris75
same car since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
I would be tempted to remove the bolt and then compare the old and new bolts and the old and new dampers, and check the hub attachment point to see if it has been 'skimmed' or something like that.
Agreed , that is what I will do It has occurred to me that perhaps the new shocks ( Sachs) might have a slightly narrower mounting at the bottom