Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th September 2013, 12:34   #1
r44flyer
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi 135+

Default Tourer tailgate won't stay closed

Hello all,
I cannot get the boot on my tourer to remain closed as there appears to be a fault with the latch. It will close at first but a jolt from the road when moving will open the latch. Regardless of whether it is open or temporarily closed the dash gives me the tailgate open warning.

Also, I thought 'tailgate' was the glass, and 'boot' is the boot? Do I have two separate faults, with a sensor issue for the glass as well?

Can anyone offer any advice on what I need to be looking for and how to rectify the fault? So far I can make out one or possibly two springs which don't appear to be attached to where they should be inside the latch. I'm not sre if it can be repaired or if it's only possible/easiest to replace the whole latch.

Thanks
Jim
r44flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 15:04   #2
Urban Tiger
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 190

I can't answer your question but because you mentioned it...I always thought the boot was the 'load area' and the tail-gate was the thing that you had to open to gain access to the boot. A saloon driver would have a boot-lid covering the boot.

I assume that the problem you're having is the big metal bit not staying shut, rather than the little glass bit not staying shut. Mine sometimes doesn't want to stay latched when closing it but once it has done it stays that way.
Urban Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 19:23   #3
r44flyer
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi 135+

Well I cracked on with this today, and solved it.

The spring inside the latch was the fault, along with the switch which tells the ecu the boot is shut. How this switch became so far away from being pressed is beyond me but it was bent to allow a better contact and now works.

Anyway, one end of the spring had broken off and therefore wasn't attached to hold the latch closed when the boot was shut. The latch has to be removed from the boot lid to repair it. (T30 bit required) If you then remove the plastic cover of the mechanism on the latch you can see and access the spring.

Rather than replace it I used two pairs of pliers to bend the last coil of the spring out and shape it to be hooked back into place. Test and rebuild... job done!
r44flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 19:26   #4
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r44flyer View Post

The spring inside the latch was the fault, along with the switch which tells the ecu the boot is shut. How this switch became so far away from being pressed is beyond me but it was bent to allow a better contact and now works.

Anyway, one end of the spring had broken off and therefore wasn't attached to hold the latch closed when the boot was shut. The latch has to be removed from the boot lid to repair it. (T30 bit required) If you then remove the plastic cover of the mechanism on the latch you can see and access the spring.

Rather than replace it I used two pairs of pliers to bend the last coil of the spring out and shape it to be hooked back into place. Test and rebuild... job done!
Glad to see that you have sorted it Jim
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 19:14   #5
Eddiebassman
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 cdti tourer connoisseur se

Quote:
Originally Posted by r44flyer View Post

Just had the same problem and I was going away tomorrow (with the dogs) so you’ve saved my bacon with this

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddiebassman is offline   Reply With Quote