Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th November 2012, 10:25   #11
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Although I like some of the features of the NADA cars, such as side impact bars, electric windows, leather centre console, and air-conditioning, I think that they just look too fussy for my liking. The emissions control wouldn't be to my taste, and I really don't want another classic Rover with power steering. I do like the door pockets too, and the fact that they have the series 2 instrument cluster, but I'd far rather have one with flatpleat seats.
Amazing example though, and I hope it's bought by someone who will keep it as is, because, although I wouldn't want it, it's nice to see a genuine NADA in the UK!
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 18:40   #12
mickywillis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connosieur Auto Gone but not forgotten!!Now have a Jag X Type Diesel Estate,:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talago View Post
I agree with you, it does look great. As the ad says, it is the NADA 3500S with the auto box. Very nice indeed.
So its NOT an S spec then if its got a slush box?
The S spec denoted a manual gearbox fitted, 4 speed and reverse.
Also the early P6's had the Ribbon type speedo/instrument clusters fitted, up to 1971, then moved to the round standard dials.
And if memory serves correct, the box pleat leather wasn't available until late '72/early '73??
I had a '73 3500S in Tobacco Leaf Brown, Beige box pleat leather interior fitted with a full length Webasto roof, it really was a superb car.
The origianl 4 speed boxes were very weak with the torque going through them. My box was very noisy when I bought the car and I managed to track down a very rare "Police Spec" gearbox which had uprated synchro hubs and bearings. This cured the problem.

I also owned a 3500 auto which had factory fitted wire wheels from new ( I believe 1 of less than 200 made that had this option) but this was a bit of a rust bucket and got used eventually as a spares car.
The last 3500 I had was given to me by its owner who left it in a horse stable for about 15 yrs. Underneath the green algae was a beautiful Old English White 1969 V8 3500 which I eventually sold to a mate who restored it to full glory.

Happy days!!

Last edited by mickywillis; 12th November 2012 at 18:44..
mickywillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 21:21   #13
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickywillis View Post
The origianl 4 speed boxes were very weak with the torque going through them. My box was very noisy when I bought the car and I managed to track down a very rare "Police Spec" gearbox which had uprated synchro hubs and bearings.
Ahh the S manual gearbox. Seems to be too low geared, screaming out for the 5speed.
I just rebuilt my S box over last winter, the rear mainshaft bearing was megga costly due to small volume manufacture but all in I reckon cost me about £200 total. During the rebuild the bit with the most pain was setting the preload on the layshaft and machining a shim down to get the desired value without going to far. Running perfectly now, hopefully will see another 100k miles before next rebuild.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 21:57   #14
mickywillis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connosieur Auto Gone but not forgotten!!Now have a Jag X Type Diesel Estate,:)

AFAIK the old 4 speed box was lifted out of the TC models, so was fairly robust but suffered from the problems described.
The guy who bought my S (PMC107L, wonder if its still on the road??) fitted a 5 speed manual box out of a SD1 3500 V8-S (the manual one) and said it was the best modification he made. He did sell the 4 speed box as there was nothing wrong with it for quite a large sum of money if I remember!
mickywillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 22:16   #15
Johnny the Fox
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Saloon and MGF SE

I love those Federal spec P6s, although i would remove the thermactor pump and the EGS and the other emissions equipment
Old 12th November 2012, 22:24   #16
Johnny the Fox
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Saloon and MGF SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Ahh the S manual gearbox. Seems to be too low geared, screaming out for the 5speed.
I just rebuilt my S box over last winter, the rear mainshaft bearing was megga costly due to small volume manufacture but all in I reckon cost me about £200 total. During the rebuild the bit with the most pain was setting the preload on the layshaft and machining a shim down to get the desired value without going to far. Running perfectly now, hopefully will see another 100k miles before next rebuild.
Quote:
AFAIK the old 4 speed box was lifted out of the TC models, so was fairly robust but suffered from the problems described.
The guy who bought my S (PMC107L, wonder if its still on the road??) fitted a 5 speed manual box out of a SD1 3500 V8-S (the manual one) and said it was the best modification he made. He did sell the 4 speed box as there was nothing wrong with it for quite a large sum of money if I remember!
The 3500 S box was essentially a four cylinder box with an oil pump in it to provide forced lubrication for the bearings. Unfortunately too many standing starts and hard acceleration would see second gear bite the dust.

Dont forget as well that the P6 was originally designed around a gas turbine power plant. Very advanced for its time, with its unitary construction body shell ( a la Citroen DS) de Dion rear axle and Dunlop disc brakes all round, inboard on the rear to help reduce the unsprung weight and the very early cars had Birmabright Aluminium door skins and boot and bonnet.

has left me thinking about buying another
Old 12th November 2012, 22:41   #17
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Smile

Although they look too glitzy in photos, when I have seen them in real life at car shows the US spec ones have a lot of presence. I had a UK spec P6 back in the 70's and it was a great car, though it guzzled fuel. I had manual steering which was a pain - PAS and aircon would have been very nice! When I win the lottery I will get a pair of US and UK spec ones (once I have bought a low mileage V8 75 estate...)
Jdwoodhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 22:52   #18
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
So its NOT an S spec then if its got a slush box?
The S spec denoted a manual gearbox fitted, 4 speed and reverse.
Also the early P6's had the Ribbon type speedo/instrument clusters fitted, up to 1971, then moved to the round standard dials.
And if memory serves correct, the box pleat leather wasn't available until late '72/early '73??
I had a '73 3500S in Tobacco Leaf Brown, Beige box pleat leather interior fitted with a full length Webasto roof, it really was a superb car.
The origianl 4 speed boxes were very weak with the torque going through them. My box was very noisy when I bought the car and I managed to track down a very rare "Police Spec" gearbox which had uprated synchro hubs and bearings. This cured the problem.

I also owned a 3500 auto which had factory fitted wire wheels from new ( I believe 1 of less than 200 made that had this option) but this was a bit of a rust bucket and got used eventually as a spares car.
The last 3500 I had was given to me by its owner who left it in a horse stable for about 15 yrs. Underneath the green algae was a beautiful Old English White 1969 V8 3500 which I eventually sold to a mate who restored it to full glory.

Happy days!!
The 3500S (NADA) built for the American market had an autobox.

I only found this out the other day ! (by someone on the forum)

I always thought that all P6 3500S's had a manual box & the P6 3500's had an autobox but apparently, not the case for the export model.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 23:46   #19
Talago
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club SE Tourer 1969 Rover P6 3500 V8 1973 Rover P6 3500 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
The 3500S (NADA) built for the American market had an autobox.

I only found this out the other day ! (by someone on the forum)

I always thought that all P6 3500S's had a manual box & the P6 3500's had an autobox but apparently, not the case for the export model.
Quite correct.

Also the NADA 3500S had the round speedo etc which didn't appear on the home market P6s until late 1970.
Talago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 16:19   #20
peter1961
Gets stuck in

99/V connie cdt moonstone green saloon. 94/L 214 cabriolet dark blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
First thing I'd do if it were mine is get rid of the bonnet and whitewall tyres

and the ind/s light units fitted on all 4 wings.
peter1961 is offline   Reply With Quote