Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th February 2018, 19:31   #1
Jackstevens98
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Scary cruise control issue

I was driving this evening and used cruise control as I was on a long steady road at 50mph had no issues and after a while I had to brake which disengages the cruise control. About 15 minutes later I put it back on at 30mph the car instantly accelerated but went past 30mph so I clicked off the cruise control button on the steering wheel. I tried it again some minutes later and the same issue so I switched it off again but the engine kept on revving. Luckily it wasn’t busy I had to brake hard while the engine was still revving by itself and had to pull over and go straight into park and handbrake on while the car was still moving. I switched the engine off and left for a few minutes and started the car again and it revved very hard again so I killed the engine again. I then turned the key to the second key control and pressed the cruise control button on the dash several times on and off. Then started the engine and all okay so I could travel home. Just not sure what could have caused this and don’t want to use the cruise again just in case any ideas? If it makes an difference I’m running a 99 75 2.5 v6 auto
Jackstevens98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 19:57   #2
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I seem to recall there was an incident with another member before Christmas , when a simliar thing happened approaching a road accident and he sped through a police road block almost hitting a policeman before regaining control.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 00:23   #3
JSS
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1999 LHD Dealer launch car 100532

Same thing happened to me. First lost of cruise control and 10 minutes later, car started accelerate by itself. Breaking hard and switched engine off.
Haven't used CC since. I will take car to the service to see, if T4 will find anything.

Couple of days before I did have ABS problem and it was related Navall 3 wiring, but not sure did this have anything to do with cruise problem.
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 01:53   #4
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstevens98 View Post
I was driving this evening and used cruise control as I was on a long steady road at 50mph had no issues and after a while I had to brake which disengages the cruise control. About 15 minutes later I put it back on at 30mph the car instantly accelerated but went past 30mph so I clicked off the cruise control button on the steering wheel. I tried it again some minutes later and the same issue so I switched it off again but the engine kept on revving. Luckily it wasn’t busy I had to brake hard while the engine was still revving by itself and had to pull over and go straight into park and handbrake on while the car was still moving. I switched the engine off and left for a few minutes and started the car again and it revved very hard again so I killed the engine again. I then turned the key to the second key control and pressed the cruise control button on the dash several times on and off. Then started the engine and all okay so I could travel home. Just not sure what could have caused this and don’t want to use the cruise again just in case any ideas? If it makes an difference I’m running a 99 75 2.5 v6 auto

I am afraid I have no answers, both my current road cars are Cdti autos, the tourer has once tried running away. But I just ignition off and back on and it cleared it. That evening it spent an hour or so on the computer but the car had no recollection of having. Had done it and the system checked I know that the system uses vacuum pressure in its calculation and in the diesel there is very little change in the vacuum from full throttle to over run. So it must be a very tight algorithm. So for me it was an oil change air filter wash and re oil oil and crankcase filter change and a top up with Mobile 1 Diesel with a can of slick fifty to smother things over.
Since that day to this never had the problem again. All filters are changed twice as often as recommended and they both get high quality fully synthetic with a can of slick every fourth change. I personally think that this is just down to old age.
Sorry this is of little help but you are not alone.
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 04:13   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
I seem to recall there was an incident with another member before Christmas , when a simliar thing happened approaching a road accident and he sped through a police road block almost hitting a policeman before regaining control.
The brakes failed at 60 mph with CC activated. It happened in October going into London on the A40, I was a front seat passenger. We clipped the back of a Royal Mail truck going through the road block. The driver, was banned member Rover54. Ed skillfully got us through the smashed up cars at the scene of an RTA and the car, a Rover 75 Tourer, stopped 1-2 miles down the road.

Recently Ed was informed by the police that all charges have been dropped. They tried to put it down to reckless driving, when it was really due to a mechanical fault.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 04:16   #6
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

Check carefully along all the way CC catch/cable in the engine bay especially the part near manifold to the throttle body. Check there is attached to the throttle body part - move that part down-up. Lubricate with some thin oil.
Seems to be a mechanical issue.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:38   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

There was a thread called “Rover54”, posted up following the incident. Shiner carried out repairs to a split hose, as being the source of the failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
This also happened to our 75 cdt auto. Didn't get up to any speed with the issue as happened manoeuvring, the brake pedal was solid like there was no servo assistance at all. Turn off and back on assistance returned then gone again. Also was a split hose between the egr solinoid and the vacuum pipe from the servo.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrissim View Post
Check carefully along all the way CC catch/cable in the engine bay especially the part near manifold to the throttle body. Check there is attached to the throttle body part - move that part down-up. Lubricate with some thin oil.
Seems to be a mechanical issue.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 13th February 2018 at 08:47..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 07:48   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
I am afraid I have no answers, both my current road cars are Cdti autos, the tourer has once tried running away. But I just ignition off and back on and it cleared it. That evening it spent an hour or so on the computer but the car had no recollection of having. Had done it and the system checked I know that the system uses vacuum pressure in its calculation and in the diesel there is very little change in the vacuum from full throttle to over run. So it must be a very tight algorithm.
Completely different system for cruise on the diesels compared to the V6 though Alan.

The diesel is drive by wire, and the V6 mechanical, so maybe the OP has a problem with linkages?

Are you saying the diesel uses vacuum in the calculation? Strange because there isn't a vacuum in the inlet manifold, which is why they fitted a vacuum pump on the end of the exhaust camshaft.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 09:12   #9
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

Smile

Hi there - knew I had read about this some time before a few years back:
Hope I am on the right track and this helps:

Courtesy of Rob's excellent post (I hope you still have that gorgeous one off Tourer of yours Rob!

ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 18:39   #10
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I had the same with mine......but only on the auto.......

If you resumed the speed after slowing........it would rev the bejesus out of the engine to get back up to speed as fast as possible.

Once back to the set speed.....it was perfect again.

But as I said......Only on the auto where it could change the gears itself.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote