Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th August 2019, 13:41   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
How would you get movement inside the gearbox?

macafee2
And that would be the issue lol

I wonder if an adapter plate mated to a different gearbox would be that difficult to make up. I have read of people I investigating bini 6 speeders, but nothing more (I imagine they have the csc design though too).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 10:35   #12
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I understand the frustration of the OP.
Some cars seem to behave really badly after serious work is carried out on them to improve things.
I have assisted on many occasions completing clutch transplants, and there are plenty of points to note which may have been overlooked.
The diesel version would seldom need clutch change due to slip, it would usually be a hydraulic problem, and 9/10 would be the slave cylinder that had passed on. This usually identified by leakage from the bell housing to engine block. So failure of such item would require box out in any event.
While the box is out, obviously the whole clutch would be replaced to reduce further interventions.
The slave would be removed for the cleaning of the bell housing and to also check the condition of the slide tube. Any doubt on the state of the guide tube would require its replacement, and I think this is probably key to the service operation and life of the the slave cylinder operation. Yes it does apply further cost to the whole exercise, however it should become failsafe for the system. The dual mass flywheel would be measured for freeplay and heat damage/scoring etc. Assuming the components are fit for long service, the components would be re-assembled and fitted back to the vehicle. Prior to connecting the fluid line to the slave, we would evacuate and flush the master cylinder of it's fluid and particles contents. What would come out usually was filthy and in need of replacing. When completed the final connections would be made and a full bleed out would be performed. Re-assembly would be completed ready for road testing.
This is the operations performed on my car (Which had no major issues apart form being quite heavy in operation, and the squawk associated with the original clutches) A combination of LUK and borg & Beck was fitted and is sweet to drive.
So to summarise, Have to hand standard clutch kit, guide sleeve and follow good practice in flushing out the existing fluid, as any debris in the system will most likely cause the slave a problem at some stage.
I for sure absolutely hate performing repeat repairs on the same vehicle, and for that reason do the "Fix right first time" policy is and should be adopted in all affairs.

Hope this may be of some help.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 12:19   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Don’t forget a replacement o ring if changing the guide sleeve too.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:39   #14
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

My metal slave is OK after 13,000 miles, but the release bearing is slightly noisy. But it has not got any worse over the last year or so, and the clutch operates smoothly, so I am not going to change it as yet. I replaced the guide tube/seal, made sure everything was clean and greased the guide tube/input shaft splines and release bearing face during the fitting procedure. I think many of the problems that folks encounter with replacement clutches is down to fitting technique.
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 09:21   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It would be possible to fit an external slave, it would take a whole lot of trial and error though.

The bell housing would have to be machines and welded to accept an arm, you would then have to find a suitable thrust bearing.

Once that is done, an external slave could be mounted to move the assembly.

I think I’d just stick to a correctly fitted Luk setup though, there are enough other jobs to be getting on with without making more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th September 2019, 10:30   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

When I did the clutch I took all the advice and changed, master, slave, guide sleeve, o ring, clutch.
To have it go again or something to have gone wrong is disappointing and this is the first time I have understood people rightly or wrongly moving on.

Anyway good news, my saloon flew through the mot today no advisories

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2019, 03:13   #17
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I had a Tazu slave and a Borg and Beck clutch fitted to my ZT190 a couple of weeks ago. Its working well and the action is much lighter than the old clutch.
I do about 1000 miles a month, much of it in heavy traffic so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.