Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th August 2019, 23:29   #21
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Engine size isn't the point, the towing capacity of the van is approx 2500kgs. It's designed to lug heavy weights around
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 23:48   #22
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

It would seem that you are choosing to miss the point here - after all, if you keep on telling yourself that something is ok, then eventually you start to believe it.

Every fact I've mentioned in my previous post is based on the law of this country.....it makes absolutely no difference that you've done this many times, or that you claim the Police have taken no notice.

After all, we only have your word for this and so far you've failed to explain how you coupled the ZT's brakes when towing it with the A-frame ??

Mentioning one of the largest breakdown services then claiming their van was just a 2.0 litre is completely irrelevent - if you had any understanding of safe towing and the law, you'd know that.

What is important is the manufacturers specified towing weight and compliance with the law relating to whatever type of 'attachment' (e.g. A-frame, bar, dolly, trailer) you choose to use.

Equally, having experience of doing something illegal and getting away with it for many years, does not make it legal, as you seem to be implying.

There's none so blind as those that don't want to see...
Old 13th August 2019, 00:05   #23
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post

There's none so blind as those that don't want to see...
PSSST!... Nothing you or anyone here has posted anything I was not already aware of.

Sometimes needs must. I repeat, it is the quality of the nut holding the steering wheel which is of paramount importance and no amount of legislation constraints can ensure that. All of us take a risk even sitting in our cars in a layby as I discovered one day when a Nissan pulled up immediately behind my car and became a burning inferno. The driver had two hundred yards of layby to chose from to stop but did so less than two metres behind me. Feel the heat!

I repeat, time and again I see articulated trucks, caravans and other stuff towed within legal parameters which come unstuck in a multiplicity of ways. Jack-knife describes it perfectly. How come? ... that nut holding the steering wheel plays a major part. YouTube has numerous footage of such stuff.

Guess I'll just have to get me a big fat-gut heavyweight vehicle to stay legal.

Sorted.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 07:49   #24
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have a feeling that breakdown services are given some leeway when it comes to towing.

I was once refused hire of a car transporter trailer because the weight of the trailer plus the car that was to go on it was to heavy for my car

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 08:12   #25
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

Any update on your method of linking the ZT braking system to your tow car, Abott?

I'm sure there are lots of artic drivers and professional caravanners on here that follow the rules and would disagree when you imply that they are the ones causing an accident.

Far more often, it'll be the law-breaking idiot using a mobile, etc. that causes them to swerve or brake in an emergency and ends up with them jack-knifing as you mention.

I'm not too sure how the burning Nissan is relevant here, but maybe you should put yourself in his/her shoes - they've suddenly noticed their car is on fire and who knows what thoughts are suddenly racing through their mind ? Saving their own life instantly becomes paramount and leaving you with a suitably large exclusion zone around your personal parking space is likely not to be the first thing on their mind

So when you say 'Sometimes needs must' I get the feeling that because you don't have a suitable transporter or tow car, the law (and other road users safety) go out the window ?

Hey - Abott needs to move a car, it's probably his 'human right' to do so and he'll be able to repeatedly post about it on many forums, promoting how clever he is at by-passing the law and telling everyone how the Police just don't care...

You are no longer living in the 70's or 80's, things such as towing weights and braking systems are governed for a reason.

It could, therefore, appear very irresponsible, to be regularly 'pedalling' your exploits as an acceptable way to move cars.

You are not the AA and you clearly don't have legal or safe kit to be dragging 1500kg of metal around.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:38   #26
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Interesting thread to read. I too have an A frame which I have used only twice but it now appears to be redundant. I know my HGV class 1 license gives me certain “grandfather rights” with size and weights of vehicles and trailers.
Where it falls down is with towing capacity of the the towing vehicle and ensuring there is a braking system in place on the towed vehicle to comply with the law.
I would agree there is a gap that needs to be filled with a legal case where the regulations will be tested and therefore a precedent be set. Until then many people will interpret the law to suit their need.
Not sure if I should sell the A frame but then I could possibly justify using it to recover a broken down vehicle?
Personally I have breakdown cover and always will. Having said that on the few occasions I’ve been towed by the AA/RAC it’s been by solid bar or 2 wheeled dolly. All the braking was by the recovery vehicle.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:38   #27
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I used to be involved and read lots of accident/incident reports, although not motoring related. It was always interesting how long people broke a rule before a issue occured, how long they'd been breaking a rule and why.

Always very similar.

Probably quite nerdy but I always found it quite interesting.

https://people.exeter.ac.uk/cnwburge...-breaking.html

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Last edited by topman; 13th August 2019 at 10:43..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 12:19   #28
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Any update on your method of linking the ZT braking system to your tow car John ?

I assumed it was the son in the tow car lol?

which brings me to a.question that popped into my head regarding the .Gov link above. If there is someone in the car being towed (if that is legal in a rigid trailer system ), do they qualify as a remote braking device?

I am with you sonic though on trailer masses and loads etc, after experiencing an overweight load with a dual axle braked trailer begining to snake at 40mph. Thankfully this nut ignored the advice that I was given and was able to safely (if stupidly) reach my destination 4 miles away. Ever since whilst ignorant of the laws and towing capacities in some instances, I have always towed mass much less than what I think my car has. A bump in the road, a punctured trailer wheel or the idiot beside me on the motorway (ie the unforseen) is all it takes for an avoidable incident to afflict the innocent.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 17:29   #29
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

Alan, the ZT I'm interested in hearing about is the grey saloon which Abott towed on an A-frame behind his 620ti
Old 13th August 2019, 18:16   #30
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Abott, you are no longer living in the 70's or 80's, things such as towing weights and braking systems are governed for a reason. It could, therefore, appear very irresponsible, to be regularly 'pedalling' your exploits as an acceptable way to move cars.

Ah the good old days!

Have to agree health and safety has moved on over the years Paul, and a good thing too. Back in the day you could make and use your own trailers and nobody would bat an eyelid.

I bought this one (although by the look of it someone home built it) but then spent a weekend lengthening and widening it to fit a Granada (BMW 5 Series in the photo).

Probably overloaded for a single albeit strengthened axle although I never had any problems with it.

The things you do when you are young.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 13th August 2019 at 18:31..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote