Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2019, 11:26   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default 1.8t clutch upgrade (track day car)

OK folks, building a 1.8t track day car (and for anyone who says wrong car blah blah well I adore 75 and zts so it's the car I want to build it from).

So then, who has done any significant kind of clutch upgrade. Talking stage 2, 2.5 or 3 etc.

Very curious as to anyone else who's had one done. Engines coming out regardless so might as well do this at same time.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 15:23   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

How much torque are you intending to throw through it? The standard clutch will likely stand up to at least 30% more than standard, especially if you reduce the weight of the car, but if your looking to seriously increase the power and torque output then you'll definitely want to think about upgrading.

Next question is are you keeping it road worthy? If not you could get away with a paddle clutch but the hydraulics may be a problem as they are weak enough with a standard spring plate.
Otherwise you'll need an organic clutch to maintain drivability but I have never looked for a supplier of them so I don't know how easy you'll find one.
Then of course you'll want an lsd to put all that extra power down, and better suspension, and bigger brakes, etc etc

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 20:07   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

My own experience with an Overboosting Turbo (symptoms being a huge spike in Power) and the fact a lot of folks are running the k-Maps tune (around 30% increase in Peak Torque and Peak Horsepower) suggests to me a Healthy Standard OEM Clutch will handle a decent Power Increase - I'm not sure how it would stand up to track-day abuse tho.

I'd have thought a Flywheel change may be more beneficial for track-day use - Solid Mass rather than the Dual Mass

I can't say I've found any Valid (IMO) Clutch "Upgrades" for the 1.8t whilst searching - Apart from the Metal Slave Cylinder.

I don't get the "Stage 1" "Stage 2" thinking Unless Upgrade Packages are offered from either a Tuning/Modifying Company or Manufacturer with Various Stages it means Nothing.. ...

I have seen a Hi-Torque "Stage 1" Clutch Kit - "Hi-Torque" being the Brand...... sounds like a Quality Part .... Can't find their "Stage 2" tho also No Warranty on the Parts and, described as being able to Handle 20% more than Stock Power - Doesn't sell itself to me

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 12:40   #4
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

Well the plan for now is a sensible 240ish bhp but with just a remap at the start. From all accounts that's the block standard limits but that would be with a different turbo to keep pressure down.

Car will be road legal also.

Long term plan is to drop a full n series in from a 6 and use that as a more reliable track engine. But the current engine will basically be shake down and testing.
Old 28th April 2019, 12:57   #5
rrobson

Nah, don't be daft, engines are good for 300 horses! They start bending rods over 360flbs though.

I'd stick with a good standard clutch for now, it'll happily cope with what the standard turbo will supply.

I seriously doubt an n series will give you much extra strength over a standard k considering people are pushing them toward 500bhp. Just make sure it's healthy, and make sure you open the ring gaps up a little, otherwise you'll be in heaps of trouble...

And don't worry too much about running a little extra boost, again people are running well above a bar.

I'm running 1 bar of boost on a standard engine currently, with a remap and a rising rate fuel reg and it's been 100% reliable. Just watch the oil temps (even with an oil cooler) and make sure you upgrade the radiator, the more cooling the batter with a k

Old 28th April 2019, 15:46   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

Well reason I'd want to go N is buying a brand new block and building it to perfect spec. If aim for more power then but my concerns are as always with the gear box and clutch setup. Lack of easily affordable diffs make to much power a waste of time especially in a heavy car. But we shall see. Collecting new 1.8t engine this weekend and hopefully get engine in by end of May.
Old 28th April 2019, 17:57   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
Nah, don't be daft, engines are good for 300 horses! They start bending rods over 360flbs though.

I'm running 1 bar of boost on a standard engine currently, with a remap and a rising rate fuel reg and it's been 100% reliable. Just watch the oil temps (even with an oil cooler) and make sure you upgrade the radiator, the more cooling the batter with a k

do you know what the standard Boost Pressure should be ?

I have a Boost Gauge taking a reading from the Inlet Manifold (VVC Manifold) generally max readings are 10-12 psi depending on Gear, Engine Speed, and Load - I occasionally see 15 psi (which would be around 1 Bar)

I have seen a k-series Lotus Elise reach almost 520bhp and around 380lb/ft
I don't know the specs - I'm assuming it has Forged Internals

*edit * I found this - " The sleeves are ductile, the crank is stock, forged pistons (7.8:1) with forged rods, normal pump fuel, 274 hydraulic cams holset hx40 turbo, 36psi of boost"

and it's now 572bhp in an Elise (PG1 Gearbox)

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 18:32   #8
rrobson

Standard boost pressure should be 8-10psi from memory???

These engines are a lot stronger than people realise. It's rpm and bad mapping which kills them. That Elise is epic! And really pushing the boundaries of what the humble k can really do. He was at near enough 400bhp and 380lbft before it bent the standard rods!!! Everything else was ok apart from some ductile liners which were fitted early on.

Old 30th April 2019, 15:56   #9
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Agree, std thinwall liners and spindly rods need to go in the bin - I would also be looking at thicker wall ductile liners and one off pistons, with more meat above the gudgeon pins. If you come down from 1800 to 1700 does it matter?The block may or may not take it, but the worst that can happen there is leaky gaskets.
And then you need to fit bigger valves to the head - will give you more
power for less boost and heat.
I'd fit a "t"....
Then lighten the old barge, it's got to be a good aero shape as std?
Good luck, keep us posted?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote