Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th October 2018, 13:27   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
My son is a police officer (although not traffic) and I spoke to him about this and all those police programmes where they always catch the fail to stoppers after the pursuit etc etc.

He actually laughed and said its not really like that as they never show the ones that get away as they are faster / take bigger risks / or the pursuit is called off by a senior officer (the pursuit commentary is constantly monitored by an inspector in the control room, and if he considers the pursuit has become an unacceptable risk to other road users or the general public he will call it off) effectively allowing them to get away and this happens a lot.

They always seem to have the police helicopter available to follow the fail to stoppers which he says is also somewhat exaggerated.

He said these programmes are done to give the impression the police always catch the fail to stops, uninsured, unlicensed and dangerous drivers which is patently not the case but they don't want you to know that.
the ones I watch they do show them getting away or the chase being called off.
The criminals "don't have to obey any rules" the police do. They have a very difficult job, pursue and risk an accident and get vilified, let them go and get vilified.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 14:06   #12
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I saw this in the local rag yesterday and thought by heck! there is some justice after all.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...rcedes-either/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 14:22   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I saw this in the local rag yesterday and thought by heck! there is some justice after all.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...rcedes-either/

I hope fines and penalties are more then the cost of insurance.

bloke must have been a fool to turn up

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 15:40   #14
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Should put it through the crusher with him in it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 15:53   #15
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I know a elderly gentleman who got stopped for no current MOT, it had expired by two weeks, he clearly had forgotten, the police inspected his vehicle at the roadside for the usual things tyres etc, and issued him a fixed penalty of £30, he took his car for an MOT the following day and it passed, in his case it was merely an oversight on his part due to his age.
Personally I feel that a vehicle in roadworthy condition is more important than when it was MOT’d, as all that proves is that on the day it was inspected at that time met the minimum requirements
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 16:01   #16
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

With all the technology and what the average motorist pays today, I’m surprised that no effective system is in place to inform owners when the respective VED and MOT is due.
Scrapping the simple piece of paper i.e. the tax disc was a backward step as it was an everyday reminder to the owner and Police for that matter when the tax/ VED was due.
Two years ago I received a letter from the motor insurance bureau informing me my XF was not insured. I was quite shocked as I had assumed it had been renewed automatically, not so.
What was more surprising two months earlier (whilst uninsured) I renewed my VED online with DVLA and the fact the car was not insured was not picked up.
I dread to think what would have happened just over a year later when the car was written off in a non fault accident.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 16:30   #17
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm surprised to hear you dont get reminders about mot due dates in england. We get a letter six weeks before they're due. Then again, all our mots are carried out by vosa staff so its almost unheard of for anything to pass here that isn't 100 per cent.

We're charged for retests though so every up has its down.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 17:56   #18
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I forgot to tax & MoT my vehicle some years ago, in spite of having a reminder and it was only due to the Tax disc in the window that reminded me it had lapsed. I agree retrograde step doing away with them. I understand the number of untaxed vehicles has gone up since then .Am I a cynic to think its another way of raising revenue when people forget ?
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 19:20   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Most accidents are caused by faulty DRIVING not faulty cars. However, this is not an excuse for not having an mot. The penalty is a bit like the people who are caught with no insurance, negligible. The fine should be easy for no insurance. Make them fill in an application on line for it, and whatever it comes to, multiply it by two and that should be their fine. If they can not pay it, keep their car until they do, and then if not paid,crush it and charge them for storage and transport to the crusher. Bet there would not be many uninsured cars around like there is now. Cruel to be kind comes to mind.
Old 18th October 2018, 21:13   #20
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
I'm surprised to hear you dont get reminders about mot due dates in england. We get a letter six weeks before they're due. Then again, all our mots are carried out by vosa staff so its almost unheard of for anything to pass here that isn't 100 per cent.

We're charged for retests though so every up has its down.
£50 stuck to the battery tray in mallusk usually has done it according to the recent news
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote