Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2018, 17:20   #1
jimbo101
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+ Anthracite

Default What to do......?

I need some help deciding what to do, carry on or get rid??

I bought my 190 at the beginning of July as a project. It cost me £200 as a scrapper. I knew it had some bodywork to fix, nothing major. It also needed the thermostat doing and had previously been converted into a swimming pool. Both problems I have now sorted. So far it has cost me another £50. Not a disaster!

Thinking it was ready for the MOT I gave it a quick test drive. This revealed that there is a leak in the steering system. I am currently investigating, but I think it is the pump.

While stripping down to remove the PAS pump I can see the drive belt has cracks across the grooves. So that'll need doing. But if that needs doing, surely the timing belts do as well (I have no history of this car!).

The positives: 57k and generally in very good condition!!

So, before I spend quite a bit if money on pumps, belt kits, etc, shall I go on?? The way it is going it is beginning to feel like a nut and bolt restoration will be done. Every time I fix something, another problem is revealed.

Help!!!

Previous MG/Rover/Austin/Triumph I have owned:
02 Rover 75 Club SE Tourer Wedgewood Blue
89 Austin Maestro 1.6HL
87 MG Metro
84 Triumph Acclaim
jimbo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 17:52   #2
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Magnus Magnusson said "Ive started so il finish" so thats exactly what you should do . If you want what other people havent got but wish they had and lets face it the car cost you a pitance . So be patient do one job at a time and you will be rewarded in the end .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 17:54   #3
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Absolutely the same as you, every time I do something I find something else that needs attention, and when you see clued up members reporting that their very well cared for cars are developing faults you realise that it never ends and you can get it perfect and something else will come along.

Quite frankly the build quality and quality of the components is below par. I've owned lots of 15-20 year old cars and this one is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of problems.

Also you will never ever recoup the costs, so be sure you want to go through with it.
Old 25th August 2018, 17:55   #4
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Well, at the price you paid you had to have an inkling it would need some work, so I'd say go on. I paid £150 for Bones, and am now over 2k in costs and still counting, so be prepared lol!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 18:27   #5
bluebird
Passed Away

Trophy Blue ZT T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Well, at the price you paid you had to have an inkling it would need some work, so I'd say go on. I paid £150 for Bones, and am now over 2k in costs and still counting, so be prepared lol!

Yes but Bones is a lovely car Dawn n drives spot on
bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 18:53   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You say in your post, that you bought the car as a ‘project’. You have now spent £50. You don’t like much of a project do you. Others on here have spent hundreds, even thousands on cars they have bought as a ‘project’. You seem as though you can not make your mind up what you want to do. Come on,give it a bit of a go. Oh you have. One month. Not really a project was it? More like you thought it would pass on and you would make a few quid on it.V
Old 25th August 2018, 19:17   #7
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
You say in your post, that you bought the car as a ‘project’. You have now spent £50. You don’t like much of a project do you. Others on here have spent hundreds, even thousands on cars they have bought as a ‘project’. You seem as though you can not make your mind up what you want to do. Come on,give it a bit of a go. Oh you have. One month. Not really a project was it? More like you thought it would pass on and you would make a few quid on it.V

That's possibly a little unfair - but if you spent £200 on a Rover 75 there are probably going to be issues. Once you've spent a grand or so chasing noises from the suspension round the car and discovering it's like painting the Forth Bridge then you get to legitimately moan

I sat in mine tonight and started it up, a brilliant and very comfy car...... I know as soon as I drove it off the drive though little niggly stuff would start annoying me again

Last edited by mystabe; 25th August 2018 at 19:25..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:42   #8
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
Yes but Bones is a lovely car Dawn n drives spot on
She does now your Andys worked his magic! Whizzed down the M1 today and she purred! Still lots to do though, but when you pay low money you know its going to take time.

Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:43   #9
jimbo101
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+ Anthracite

Let me clarify; I mentioned the cost precisely because I have spent so little.

Yes, I knew it would need work when I bought it. I was hoping I could get it usable easily and then do work as a rolling resto.

I put the original post up as a largely cathartic exercise. But I was also interested in other members thoughts. I guess what I was really hoping for was some encouragement from other people who appreciate the ZT and 75s. Thank you to Dawn, your reply was just perfect!!

The beauty of being part of a community like this is that we should be able to look to each other for support, encouragement and advice. We should be celebrating our mutual love for an interesting and fun car. Instead, some people like to make up for their own inadequacies by putting other people down and, frankly, being NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- rude!

As my nan used to say, if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

Previous MG/Rover/Austin/Triumph I have owned:
02 Rover 75 Club SE Tourer Wedgewood Blue
89 Austin Maestro 1.6HL
87 MG Metro
84 Triumph Acclaim
jimbo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:51   #10
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

so you don't want to start an argument and then post that you are leaving then?

Disappointing considering I paid for the full hour argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvcnx6-0GhA
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote