Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2018, 22:29   #1
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Default New Parts

How'do Folks

I was speaking to a friend and...... another person i know.....lol

I had just mentioned to my friend that i had just had the last of the parts delivered to do some work on the Car

the "other Guy" asked which Car i have - when i replied Rover - I was quickly Informed to "Get Rid Of It" - as you CAN'T get parts apparently he knew someone who had a Rover once.

So what should I do ?

I appreciate some Original parts are NLA with no replacements available and some are hard to source - I don't feel I need to get rid just yet tho

this year I have also fitted complete Original Handbrake Assemblies(backplates,shoes etc..) Complete Original Front Strut Assemblies.

Now i just have a couple of tools i'll need, Coolant, Oil - and some better weather to tackle this lot at the end of the street

I'll soon have had my(first) Car for 3 years - I figure this will decide whether or not i've passed my Owners' apprenticeship

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2018, 23:00   #2
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
How'do Folks

I was speaking to a friend and...... another person i know.....lol

I had just mentioned to my friend that i had just had the last of the parts delivered to do some work on the Car

the "other Guy" asked which Car i have - when i replied Rover - I was quickly Informed to "Get Rid Of It" - as you CAN'T get parts apparently he knew someone who had a Rover once.

So what should I do ?

I appreciate some Original parts are NLA with no replacements available and some are hard to source - I don't feel I need to get rid just yet tho

this year I have also fitted complete Original Handbrake Assemblies(backplates,shoes etc..) Complete Original Front Strut Assemblies.

Now i just have a couple of tools i'll need, Coolant, Oil - and some better weather to tackle this lot at the end of the street

I'll soon have had my(first) Car for 3 years - I figure this will decide whether or not i've passed my Owners' apprenticeship

Paul.
Rover you say? Yeah, I've been told that you can't get parts for them. And the head gaskets go aaaalllll the time. Old Man's Car, you see. They don't go above 50mph.
Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands, save you the hassle, it probably won't pass the next Mot, Rover were skint when they made the 75 couldn't afford proper rustproofing.
Call it £100 cash? You won't get a better offer. Nobody wants these old tanks anymore
Old 19th August 2018, 23:15   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
Rover you say? Yeah, I've been told that you can't get parts for them. And the head gaskets go aaaalllll the time. Old Man's Car, you see. They don't go above 50mph.
Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands, save you the hassle, it probably won't pass the next Mot, Rover were skint when they made the 75 couldn't afford proper rustproofing.
Call it £100 cash? You won't get a better offer. Nobody wants these old tanks anymore

Have you met this Guy too ?

He did have a Good story - Gave me all the History and Politics

who knew a Rover 800 with no Engine is worth £15k ?

Paul.
Old 19th August 2018, 23:16   #4
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have restored many old motorcycles where parts are no longer available. I still managed it tho lol

Just because Rover no longer exists doesn't mean parts suddenly disappear. Just because for example, Ford is still in business doesn't mean you can just go out and get parts of the shelf for a Mk2 Cortina 1600E.

The internet has made tracking down parts so much easier. As time passes by we will no doubt have to make do with good second-hand parts.

Actually, you just reminded me, when I bought my Rover 18 months ago I called in at my local garage that I have been going to for years. He said what have you bought a Rover for? You will have trouble getting parts for it. He went on to tell me that door handles are no longer available. I laughed and said "Robert, I don't need any door handles" lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2018, 23:31   #5
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have restored many old motorcycles where parts are no longer available. I still managed it tho lol

Just because Rover no longer exists doesn't mean parts suddenly disappear. Just because for example, Ford is still in business doesn't mean you can just go out and get parts of the shelf for a Mk2 Cortina 1600E.

The internet has made tracking down parts so much easier. As time passes by we will no doubt have to make do with good second-hand parts.

Actually, you just reminded me, when I bought my Rover 18 months ago I called in at my local garage that I have been going to for years. He said what have you bought a Rover for? You will have trouble getting parts for it. He went on to tell me that door handles are no longer available. I laughed and said "Robert, I don't need any door handles" lol

that's Classic....... I wonder how often Robert has had to change Door Handles for a Customer ?

I'm sure a second hand part would do if required

this Club/Forum also puts us at an advantage for sourcing parts

I hope i can keep my Car on the road til such a time as there are no parts left to source

Paul.
Old 19th August 2018, 23:39   #6
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

From my motorcycle experience, I know a good busy club/forum is the ESSENTIAL element in keeping an old bike running, and cars will be exactly the same.

No club/ forum no future!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 06:07   #7
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Iv'e had garages hike prices with the parts excuse as well! They suck in their breath Oooh gonna be expensive just can't get parts y'see...

I had and eight year old Ford it was harder to get parts for!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 06:34   #8
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

First time the guy who does the bits I can't came round to replace a couple of brake pipes on my V6 he looked at it and frowned ... "It's going to be rotten underneath. Don't know why you bother with these old things".

When he'd finished it was "It's surprisingly solid"

Now every time it's "What a nice drive"

Mind you this is the chap who, every time he sees my Outlander, starts off on
" 'kin rubbish Mitsubishis, etc, etc ....." despite the fact that the van that has never let him down in years carries the same badge.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 08:29   #9
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I bought my first 75 from a garage not far away, when I bought it told me it was a great car. It had been off the road for a while, went to the same garage to ask about recommissioning it. Oh no, bad cars, struggle for parts, advised me to get it back on the road then trade it in . . . . for one of the French/Italian shopping trolleys on their forecourt. Never been back!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 08:44   #10
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post

I own a couple of classic cars from 1958/59 and a bus from 1975 and very little is still available off the shelf so you have to be creative, or scour the internet and autojumbles. My 1959 Singer Gazelle needed front wings, they are rarer than rocking horse teeth and varied from model to model, but over the years I found a couple of OEM old stock wings, not exactly a pair but modified to suit.

The thing with a lot of cars in the 50s/60s/70s was that a lot of bits were standard Lucas parts and used across numerous things - it's just a case of knowing what else they fitted. Rear lights for Aston Martin DBS - they'll be Hillman Hunter, sir.

So far with my ZTs there's nothing that I haven't been able to get - that's what EBay is for and traders on here.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote