Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th May 2007, 17:06   #1
englishmastiff
Regular poster

ZT-T 135+ CDTi

Default Alternator faliure

Hi all,

Found the source of my problem, a dodgy alternator charging the battery to 16.5 volts!!!Luckily the garage I bought the car from gave me a 3 star warranty that covers the alternator.
Who do you all use for spares (link would be very helpful) and what is the likely cost. Can't see any on fleabay.
Is this a garage job or can it be done over a weekend by an enthusiastic (if not particularly skilled) person (me!!!:lol: )
Cheers all.
englishmastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 18:02   #2
tourerfogey
Banned

Cheapest option will be an exchange unit from your local motor factor.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 07:35   #3
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Good old Joe Lucas, the prince of darkness strikes again .Very lucky that you have a warranty- its a front end off job ( bumper and rad), the local dealer charges 5 hours labour for this. Its not a job Id fancy tackling, and Ive been restoring and pulling cars to bits for 20 years. your warranty should cover labour for replacing the item
X part list the alternator.

Last edited by black olive; 17th May 2007 at 07:37..
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 21:04   #4
smokie999
Regular poster

mgtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodybluezt View Post
Good old Joe Lucas, the prince of darkness strikes again .Very lucky that you have a warranty- its a front end off job ( bumper and rad), the local dealer charges 5 hours labour for this. Its not a job Id fancy tackling, and Ive been restoring and pulling cars to bits for 20 years. your warranty should cover labour for replacing the item
X part list the alternator.
halfords qouted me 450.00 needless to say i declined
smokie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 22:54   #5
mavrik2k6
Regular poster

none at the moment, use works vehicle

sorry to go off the question a bit ... does any one have access to part numbers for the 75 alternator? do they differ with engine size? reason i ask my mate has a couple of nice shiny new ones,,, he knows they are rover,,but unsure of model.
cheers in advance

mavrik
mavrik2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 16:47   #6
englishmastiff
Regular poster

ZT-T 135+ CDTi

Those part numbers may help me as well.

I have spoken to the garage I purchased the car from now. They claim that the alternator and battery was changed two weeks before I bought the car. I must admit, the battery does look very new.
I just hope this isn't one of those electrical problems that no one can work out. If the car is jump started, let run for a while, turned off then on again a little later, it is fine. By the morning the charge is lost.
When the ignition is turned off is there ANYTHING that could be staying on (barring the interior lights as I disconnected them just in case and lost charge anyway) i just cant work out how everything was so good with the car before the blow out that led to this grief.

I am slowly starting to go off this car, it has been on the drive for a week, cost me £200 in tyres and I am now told that alternators are £300 plus. The warranty only covers £300 of work!!
englishmastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 16:54   #7
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Your warranty is not legally binding. If you have had the car a week and it is faulty the cost of repair is immaterial, it is covered by the Sale of Goods Act and the dealer must repair or replace it if anything goes wrong in the first 6 months...have a read here...

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file25486.pdf

Last edited by Zeb; 18th May 2007 at 16:58..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 17:23   #8
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Your warranty is not legally binding. If you have had the car a week and it is faulty the cost of repair is immaterial, it is covered by the Sale of Goods Act and the dealer must repair or replace it if anything goes wrong in the first 6 months...have a read here...

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file25486.pdf
Well spotted Zeb....quick off the mark there!
Old 21st May 2007, 23:29   #9
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmastiff View Post
Hi all,

Found the source of my problem, a dodgy alternator charging the battery to 16.5 volts!!!Luckily the garage I bought the car from gave me a 3 star warranty that covers the alternator.
Who do you all use for spares (link would be very helpful) and what is the likely cost. Can't see any on fleabay.
Is this a garage job or can it be done over a weekend by an enthusiastic (if not particularly skilled) person (me!!!:lol: )
Cheers all.
Just noticed where you are
I have a Zt-t CDTi bought last September, have got to know my way around it a bit (see thread 'Ive been busy' 13th may, in general forum)- sorry dont know how to do link
If you like PM me your landline number and I will give you a call I may be able to help with the answer to the simpler questions !
Bumper off is no big deal, intercooler and rad is getting a bit serious but not that way out.
But if you bought from a dealer claim on the warrenty and claim again if its not fixed, the sooner the better, thats why a dealer charges more for the car in the first place
I have PM'd you my number so feel free to give me a call
Andy
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 11:15   #10
steakpie
Regular poster

MG ZTT CDTi+ auto

Talking

Hi All,
Just got my alternator replaced on my 53 plate cdti+ auto. It cost me £293 parts and labour, with a brand new part(not reconditioned).

I would not take on the job my self after watching Paul (Macffaden Classic MG of Motherwell) working on the car most of the day. He still only charged me for 3 hours labour. He took out the power steering pump and went in from the top. All fixed now and working fine.

The alternator is £122.93 plus vat brand new or £89.95 reconded but Paul said to go for the new one all the time.

When i got the old one out the brushes had worn away and there was no resistance.
Cheers
Andrew
steakpie is offline   Reply With Quote