Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2011, 20:59   #11
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Jimbo - I have to agree

I had massive water ingress problems, tried all the usual suspects to no avail, in the end I found 6 of the 8 (I think) rear screen clips were broken

Screen out, new clips, screen in, problem gone away
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 21:03   #12
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
Jimbo - I have to agree

I had massive water ingress problems, tried all the usual suspects to no avail, in the end I found 6 of the 8 (I think) rear screen clips were broken

Cheers Colin
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 21:06   #13
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Leaks

I hve used 'Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure' on the recommendation of a subscriber and it is excellent for sealing fine openings around windows etc but, as mentioned, not for wide gaps.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 21:10   #14
bigrob73
Avid contributor

Kia Cee'd 3

This all sounds quite a major solution to the problem.

If it has to be done, so be it, but I think I will try this Captain Tolleys Creeping **** Cure first. It says that as it is thinner than water, that via the capillary effect it takes the same path as the water. If the gaps are less than 1mm it should seal it. A couple of boatbuilders recommended it to me, so I know it can work.

It seems maybe its worth spending £10 on this before the cost of screen removal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone but Never Forgotten
bigrob73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:30   #15
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Sorry to dig this up, I have recently bought a 75 and I have water dripping in exactly the same places as you pictured, what did you do to cure the leak in the end?

I have already fixed both the rear light seals, both chrome trim fixings, both black vents and a shoddy repair from a minor rear end that were all leaking into the boot. I am just a bit stuck on the rear windscreen. Ideally I would like to fix it without taking the screen out.

Up to now I have found the answer without asking any questions just wondered if you or anyone else can shed some light. Thanks!
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:35   #16
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
Jimbo - I have to agree

For a while at least - water back again now, though not sure the screens at fault
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:42   #17
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

how do I get the flappy rubber bit off? just pull? or do i have to take the chrome trim off all the way round the rear screen first?

Is there a 'how to' for removing the trim?I just stare blankly at it and hope it will just come off!

Will cleaning the trim and bodywork, drowning it in clear silicone and reassembling it cure the problem? Or can you not get to the part where the clips go though the body?

I probably should say at this point that I am not looking for a OEM repair, the car is hardly a stunner, I just need it to stop filling up with water!
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:32   #18
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
how do I get the flappy rubber bit off? just pull? or do i have to take the chrome trim off all the way round the rear screen first?

Is there a 'how to' for removing the trim?I just stare blankly at it and hope it will just come off!

Will cleaning the trim and bodywork, drowning it in clear silicone and reassembling it cure the problem? Or can you not get to the part where the clips go though the body?

I probably should say at this point that I am not looking for a OEM repair, the car is hardly a stunner, I just need it to stop filling up with water!
The "flappy bit of rubber" as you call it is held in with several clips, located in the chrome trim piece in the window rubber surround, that go through it into mountings that are located in the bodywork. Its the mounting in the bodywork that are leaking. Unfortunately these clips can well break if you attempt to remove the chrome strip. The thumbnail below may well help you.

If you just want to stop the leak without totally removing everything - actually not possible without removal of the rear screen - there's several ways to proceed. What's actually happening is that the water is getting under the rear screen's rubber seal and leaking through the clip's body mountings, getting into the void under the rear parcel shelf and leaking through a couple of holes in the bodywork under the rear parcel shelf and then into the boot.

1) Use of something like Captain Trolleys Creaking Crack Cure on the rear window rubber - understand that this is just watered down PVA adhesive so you could well make your own.
2) Attempt to seal the bodywork mountings under the "flappy rubber" with silicone
3) Slightly lift the bottom of the rear window rubber seal with a flat screwdriver and insert clear silicone to seal to the rear screen so stopping the water getting near the clips body mountings.
4) It's been reported on forums elsewhere spraying WD40 onto the foam seals of the bodywork mountings can assist in stopping the water ingress.

I've used Captain Trolleys with success and currently don't have any leaks from that area.

Hope you get it sorted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear screen.JPG (51.0 KB, 43 views)
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:07   #19
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Boot leaks

If and when you cure the leaks drill a drain hole in the boot well floor. There is no reason why you should discover a leak only because there are several gallons of water sloshing about in the spare wheel well.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 16:57   #20
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

OK, I have repaired it, without taking the screen out! It was a little fiddley and I did break 5 clips in total, but none of them were the offending ones! Result! just working on a how to as nobody has come up with one yet!