Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2020, 08:50   #1
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Default 78 degrees grey landrover PRT on a 1.8

Has anyone used this 78 degrees grey PRT - i normally run the 82 degrees beige PRT - does it confer any advantages?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2020, 10:16   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

No Martin and plenty of disadvantages! It's far too cool. For the UK market an 88 degree thermostat is specified.

Simon
Old 29th June 2020, 11:45   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Has anyone used this 78 degrees grey PRT
Have you a link to that one? Never seen one myself. The respected SELOC site says it's an 82C type. More interestingly, it's said to have a 'light' pressure relief spring. I've a long standing interest in the PRT so several years ago I bought a grey one from Land Rover. Unfortunately, the spring tension I measured was no different from my original buff version (spec'd as 88C/medium). It wouldn't have served my purpose so I returned it. Over the decades since MGR introduced the PRT, those important specifications have become very muddled. Today, the colour of the plastic casing is no longer significant. You certainly can't rely on it in terms of temperature rating. The important relief pressure scale has also become unintelligible and I suspect, abandoned. Ask a Land Rover dealer what the PRT relief spring rate is and the chances are they won't understand the question. The supplier I used certainly didn't and that was over a decade ago.

Here's what SELOC now say about the PRT: https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Pressure_Re...ote_Thermostat

It certainly reflects my observations and I can understand why you might consider fitting a grey one. Also note the comment about the black version. Frustratingly, I currently have a black one on my 1.8Turbo. I fitted it before I bought the grey one (also as an experiment). The reason I did so was because Xpart/Rimmer had introduced it as the 'latest recommendation' for the 1.8T.

Nowadays, I can't make sense of it because there is no sense in it. However, the SELOC site remains the most authoritative souce of info on the current manifestations of the PRT. Though their interest is towards the sportier side of the K-series engines, you'll not find anything more informative for the 75/ZT application.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 29th June 2020 at 11:52..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2020, 12:40   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

There you go - on the DMGRS site.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/k-s...7ee8a41c&_ss=r

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2020, 13:40   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Which simply adds to the confusion. If you get a PEL500110 from Rimmer, it has an 82C spec: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-PEL500110
I wonder if the 72C is a typing error? MGR have never specified a stat that low and nor does LR, according to the SELOC site.

Basically, I think it's suck it and see. The grey one I tried from Land Rover had the same part number, but the relief spring was definitely the same as my original 88C/medium spring version. My current black one runs 6 to 8 degrees cooler than the buff one. You'll also notice that few Freelander suppliers refer to these as a 'PRT'. They simply describe them as an 'in-line' stat. I'd be very interested to hear how it performs, so do get back here if you decide to fit one.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote