Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2023, 10:21   #21
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

I have just checked my car after a deviously positioned pot hole was encountered in Nottingham yesterday. Looking around all four wheels only two are now undamaged (only gopt the car three weeks ago with all wheels and tyres having no famage whatsoever) with the other two having dings in the alloy wheels and small chunks taken out of the side wall protector beads.

I drive this car (MB E220d convertible) slower than my other cars and am always on the look out for potholes! I know the tyres are low profile (235 x 35 x19 at front & 255 x30x19 at rear) but we now seem to have third world road surfaces. Perhaps another sign of the nations ongoing slide?

Last edited by 2750 HP; 31st January 2023 at 10:46..
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2023, 11:06   #22
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
I drive this car (MB E220d convertible) slower than my other cars and am always on the look out for potholes! I know the tyres are low profile (235 x 35 x19 at front & 255 x30x19 at rear) but we now seem to have third world road surfaces. Perhaps another sign of the nations ongoing slide?
Absolutely, maybe even fourth world! Apparently there is no chance of a parliamentary seat being lost over the issue and thus the low expenditure, but high taxation, will continue whoever is in power. Plenty of virtual signalling projects to spend the surplus on!

With regard tyres. I'm not a fan of low profile types as they tend to provide a harsher and noisier ride plus allowing more wheel damage. Just my opinion!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2023, 11:11   #23
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
For many local councils, neglected roads will be part of their war on the private motorist. After all, a pothole is just an upside-down speed hump.
Totally spot on. Allowing parking both sides of a road is the cheapest method to slow vehicles (except for the reckless). However, in logical terms, it negates the "green" programmes in that very slow moving traffic generates more toxic fumes. Go figure

Kev
Old 31st January 2023, 19:34   #24
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
We used to have a missile/bomb range at Donna Nook when that facility came under the jurisdiction of the department I worked for!

I re-visited the area (for nostalgic reasons) in 2011. The roads in the area at that time was like remote areas elsewhere - reasonably good surface overall and probably laid in the late 60's before the "maintenance suspension"

Kev
The bombing range is still there Kev (except when the seals are having pups!)

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 31st January 2023, 20:22   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The bombing range is still there Kev (except when the seals are having pups!)

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

At least the seals probably feel the earth move during their moments of romantic indulgence!

That's non-car content young man, I've just realised. It's verging on being ban-deserving material!

Old 1st February 2023, 02:49   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
At least the seals probably feel the earth move during their moments of romantic indulgence!

That's non-car content young man, I've just realised. It's verging on being ban-deserving material!

Good morning Maninder and welcome back.

Discussion around pot holes is car related and out of interest we recently had to buy “All Terrain Wrangler with Kevlar” tyres for the 4x4 because of the state of the roads and off road driving over sandy and rocky terrain in Kenya.

In my humble opinion talking about pot holes is car talk, so positive thoughts! anything else, why risk it….
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:48   #27
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

At least in Kenya there are some excellent roads.
The main roads here around Ayrshire are in many parts quite dangerous, even the surface on some motorways is breaking up. The town's in East Ayrshire have terrible roads and I'm glad I'm on steel wheels and 65 profile tyres so damage is certainly less.
Judy (my wife) who is Kenyan says that the UK is slipping fast downhill and I have to agree.
Old 3rd February 2023, 12:03   #28
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Judy (my wife) who is Kenyan says that the UK is slipping fast downhill and I have to agree.
Strange isn't it? The politicians (by and large) have been educated at top schools - Eaton, Cambridge, Oxford, Rugby, Westminster ect. - but have little awareness of life's reality. Pity they don't do courses at them educational establishments that the old 'Technical Colleges' used to do such as plumbing, bricklaying et al. However, I have to admit, they do not run the country and we all know who does!

Kev