Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th July 2015, 16:30   #21
Rigginsuk

MG ZT+ 160 2.5l v6

If a person is willing to give up on these cars because they all "have problems" then you really have to question it when they say they love 75's.
My ZS was in the garage just a few days after I bought it. £2000 later and all the problems, cylinder head replaced, HGF, valves replaced, cams, thermostat, radiator, all coolant hoses, starter motor, water pump and much much more fixed and it was such a fun, lovely car to drive. I was advised to scrap it but, I love these cars. Now I have a ZT v6 and it did the same as the 75 you're looking at. Cost me £45 to replace the 3 speed fan for a 2 speed fan and uprated gold resistor.
Not every problem breaks the bank and there is nearly enough info on this forum to do anything you want to with these cars. They are 10-15 year old cars. They're likely to have issues from time to time but what 15 year old make of car doesn't? Ford, Vauxhall, Citroen.....the list could go on.
These cars are awesome. You're either dedicated to them or not.
Rigginsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 23:59   #22
mrdoofa
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.0CDT Connoisseur SE saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigginsuk View Post
If a person is willing to give up on these cars because they all "have problems" then you really have to question it when they say they love 75's.
My ZS was in the garage just a few days after I bought it. £2000 later and all the problems, cylinder head replaced, HGF, valves replaced, cams, thermostat, radiator, all coolant hoses, starter motor, water pump and much much more fixed and it was such a fun, lovely car to drive. I was advised to scrap it but, I love these cars. Now I have a ZT v6 and it did the same as the 75 you're looking at. Cost me £45 to replace the 3 speed fan for a 2 speed fan and uprated gold resistor.
Not every problem breaks the bank and there is nearly enough info on this forum to do anything you want to with these cars. They are 10-15 year old cars. They're likely to have issues from time to time but what 15 year old make of car doesn't? Ford, Vauxhall, Citroen.....the list could go on.
These cars are awesome. You're either dedicated to them or not.
I think it'd be a tad unfair to question his dedication to the car, but maybe that's due to me having the benefit of actually knowing him. I know for instance, that he is already investing all of his savings into the car (buying the car, taxing and insuring it). He's already going to have to borrow the petrol money, so as I'm sure you can see, it takes some dedication to make that kind of investment. You see, he is only a student, and as I'm sure you can appreciate the insurance on any V6 for a student is likely to be expensive, but that hasn't made him go out and buy a 1.0 pug 107, and unlike most students he is perfectly willing to forfeit the "student lifestyle" of booze and the such like just to have the car that he has been wanting to have for many years. The reason why he doesn't want to invest £2k into the car, is because he can't, if he could, trust me he most definitely would. He's been a rover fan for years, and a 75 fan for many years also, but he has to get it right, because if it breaks, he's left without transport, and without his pride and joy.

Last edited by mrdoofa; 26th July 2015 at 02:06..
mrdoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 06:51   #23
smallheathlad
Loves to post

No more aRover 75 Saloon

I have a collection of 75's my first was a 2.0l. They are fantastic cars, however some of the maintenance bill can soon mount up. The car you have looked at has issues ... That rattle you could live with for a while. The real issue is the overheating. When I purchased my first one the low speed fan was not working so driving alone traffic free roads fine in traffic it overheated. I was lucky fitted a new fan and problem solved. No other damage had been caused.
The danger you have is that it has been overheating for a while causing other issues. I would suggest that he walks away from this car. There are better one's to be found at a much lower price
smallheathlad is offline   Reply With Quote