Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd February 2019, 15:43   #21
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsega View Post
I don't see anything here regarding the Viton seals, or any of the caps saying they have viton seals. I found these coolant cap O rings, 2 pounds + 4.49 for international shipping. Are these the right ones?
The DMGRS ones are the ones you are after. DMGRS (Mat) is a member here.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 10:53   #22
madsega

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
The other potential cause of water in the boot is badly fitted vents. Pull back the lining from the sides of the boot and you'll see a louvred plastic vent. The outside of it is behind the rear bumper and not particularly protected from all the spray thrown up by the rear wheels. If in doubt then apply the same generous helping of silicon sealer as prescribed for the rear light units.
It might be, but considering I haven't moved the car in a week, I'm inclining towards the rear lights. Not a bad idea to check the vents as well

@vitesse : Holy smokes, 35 pounds for those carbon brushes. I think I will postpone this for the moment

Quote:
Personally I wouldn’t wait too long to investigate the wire mesh inside the front camshaft cover as I wouldn’t like to think what could happen if it moves. The normal two mesh filters fit inside a recess and I can’t see them moving as they're quite stiff but your picture does seem to match the gauge and appearance of these filters.
I was about to unscrew the bolts of the camshaft but then I thought that what if I need a gasket and the previous one is unusable and won't fit? So I found this one #10 so I don't know if there's a difference between Genuine MG Rover, Genuine and Aftermarket. It says that the quantity required is 2.

Also I'm guessing I have to replace the #14 Element-camshaft cover oil separator. Do I need to order 2 of these as well?

Quote:
The DMGRS ones are the ones you are after. DMGRS (Mat) is a member here.
I have already ordered the coolant cap O rings from above, if you don't think they'll fit, I will order another one from DMGRS.

Yesterday when I finally got around to popping the hood, I realised that the car has an oil leak under the left (passenger) side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHqpdzbY-Ls

Also on the driver's side, there's something leaking at 0:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlSHhaTZsKY

The whole cup where the oil filter sits and the surrounding area is filled with oil.I have taken a few photos and videos to show what's going on. I will have to remove the front bumper along with the bottom shield and see what's going on.

There also seems to be oil on the pulley.

And sand on the left side..

A friend suggested that I should first take the car to the car wash and clean the entire engine and then I will spot the leak better since now everything is covered in oil. I'm a bit on the fence with the engine wash since I don't know how professional they are and if they mess something, don't cover stuff or if electrical issues will arise. What do you think? Do you wash your engine?

Oh yeah, also checked the plenum and the drain pipe is completely clogged. Will have to buy something today and clear it. Looks like dirt built up all the way to the top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7yoSt5H4ck

Last edited by madsega; 4th February 2019 at 10:59..
madsega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 11:01   #23
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I'd use a degreaseant small brush and a hose pipe on slow trickle, being careful to avoid anything electrical. I'd advise against a power wash or anything similar and do it yourself, not something I'd trust to someone else.
Lee.
Old 4th February 2019, 11:52   #24
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Told you that their postage rates were inflated / unfair. Strange that the German supplier won’t deliver to your country - I’ve had no trouble ordering repeated sets from them.

I’ve not changed the tin gaskets while doing the gauze filters / separators and heard of others reusing the gaskets without problems. Be prepared to drill out the smaller of the two holes in the cam covers as the smaller one will almost certainly be blocked. If you intend doing the job on both cam covers you will need four separators, two to each bank. It’s possibly to clean them but the new ones don’t cost that much.

My preferred method of cleaning is hand spraying with white spirit, lots of rags, small paint brush and then compressed air.

Clean the drainage tubes with stiff wire (I use TIG) just to get a hole and gradually increase the size of the rod (finish with compressed air if you've got it).

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 19:52   #25
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
My preferred method of cleaning is hand spraying with white spirit, lots of rags, small paint brush and then compressed air.

Regards
Or drop them in a jar of hot water with a dishwasher tablet and leave for several hours . Then rinse them well . That works too
Old 4th February 2019, 20:22   #26
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:

And sand on the left side..

A friend suggested that I should first take the car to the car wash and clean the entire engine and then I will spot the leak better since now everything is covered in oil. I'm a bit on the fence with the engine wash since I don't know how professional they are and if they mess something, don't cover stuff or if electrical issues will arise. What do you think? Do you wash your engine?

Oh yeah, also checked the plenum and the drain pipe is completely clogged. Will have to buy something today and clear it. Looks like dirt built up all the way to the top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7yoSt5H4ck
My diesel looked exactly the same as that, when I picked it up.

The inspection cover, at the front of the inner wheel arch, was missing.
It is the one to gain access to the bulbs.

Worth checking.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 20:29   #27
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post

Worth checking.

Yes definitely, and clean the wiring harness to the lights too as that will have suffered.
Old 5th February 2019, 09:37   #28
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Holy smokes, 35 pounds for those carbon brushes. I think I will postpone this for the moment ..
Hi Sergiu,

I agree that £35 sounds excessive but when you remove the VAT and the £5 international 1st class postage to Romania, you're paying £6 per brush.

For a low volume, custom designed and manufactured high quality part, I suggest that's a reasonable price.

Simon
Old 5th February 2019, 10:30   #29
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Simon, the difference between UK postage and European postage is an additional £13.31, how is that reasonable? Royal mail quote a price to Europe for a 100g letter at £1.55. I accept there’s the standard packing & postage but ECP’s rates are in my opinion excessive.

I recently received a large letter (really a box) containing two sets of breather tubes & two sets of gauze separators from Rimmers, total postage - P&H £ (VAT 25%) wait for it … £4.60.

I share your sentiments when it comes to supporting UK businesses but not at any cost. ECP might supply a quality, correctly profiled product but it isn’t the actual product that upsets me but their postage rates. It would be nice to receive a bit of understanding / solidarity with overseas members who are getting fleeced by this company.

We both know that only one or two brushes are likely to be necessary, yet ECP only offer a set of four. I have helped others with brush sets but on those occasions have supplied two brushes and have yet to receive a request for more. At the moment I’ve run out otherwise I’d supply the poster with the two brushes he needs. Perhaps as you don’t need to pay ECP’s excessive overseas rates, you could do the same and get to see how much it really costs to post to Romania?

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 10:39   #30
madsega

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Sergiu,

I agree that £35 sounds excessive but when you remove the VAT and the £5 international 1st class postage to Romania, you're paying £6 per brush.

For a low volume, custom designed and manufactured high quality part, I suggest that's a reasonable price.

Simon
Hey, I made yesterday the purchase from the Germany website, I shipped it to Sweden first and then relay the package back to me. (Are you with the MI6? hahaha)

I was just on my way to buying all the things needed to clean the plenum, silicon to seal the rear light and degresant to clean the engine. I will also attempt to open the camshaft and get that oil separator out until the new camshaft gasket will arrive. Any idea why I need 2 gaskets for the camshaft cover and if there's a particular order/position to place them?

Only next monday I will get the chance to make the order on rimmerbros so there will be a while until I get everything. Slow but steady

@Dorset Bob: You are very right. The inspection cover is there but the wheel-arch has a whole in it. It might be where the dust and dirt got inside.

I found a very good deal on speedo clock instrument cluster. Was thinking of buying it to have the LCD working again but I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to change it because it will mess with the computer?

Thanks.

Last edited by madsega; 5th February 2019 at 11:24..
madsega is offline   Reply With Quote