Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2019, 16:34   #1
sjr
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 & Ford Mustang 5.0 GT

Default New ECU T4 session

Hi,
I have a 75 V8, that has a fault code PO443 (Evaporative emissions circuit), I had spares of all the sensors in this circuit, so I swapped these over, I also checked all of the hoses, and checked the wiring in this circuit. Some one else had this problem and it was a fault with the ECU.

I purchased a new ECU, and booked a Session with a local garage that had a T4.
Once the new ECU was fitted, the car would turn over, but not start (This was expected), when the guy tried to program the ecu the way he normally does, the screen said that “The T4 does not support this”, he then tried something else and it seemed to work, but he was concerned, as he seemed to have bypassed a certain step.

He tried the car, and it started straight up, but the engine light was still on, he then cleared the light, but it came back on the instant the ignition was switched on.
I connected my diy code reader, it said I have one fault code and three pending, none of these was the original PO443, I now had po446, po453 & po462 as pending faults and P1639 as a constant fault.

P1639 says DTC definition not found/VID block not programmed, this must be done when programming the ecu.

I know the V8 cars and T4 machines don’t seem to get along very well, but does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Justin
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 22:40   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

You could enquire at your nearest friendly Ford dealer they may be able to sort you out

Other V8 owners have taken their cars to them in the past as their equipment does talk to the ECU unlike T4

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 22:46   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
You could enquire at your nearest friendly Ford dealer they may be able to sort you out

Other V8 owners have taken their cars to them in the past as their equipment does talk to the ECU unlike T4

Russ
Exactly what I said to Shiner earlier today, before offering to drive to Reading with a gallon of petrol, and a box of matches.

And yes I was serious

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 12:07   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Exactly what I said to Shiner earlier today, before offering to drive to Reading with a gallon of petrol, and a box of matches.

And yes I was serious

Brian
Don't believe all you read Brian. None of your cars would make it to reading on a gallon of petrol

sent from here

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 13:22   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Don't believe all you read Brian. None of your cars would make it to reading on a gallon of petrol

sent from here

His lpg one would 🤣
Old 18th January 2019, 15:17   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
His lpg one would 🤣
476,000 miles on 1/4 tank of petrol, it's almost as good as a diesel automatic
Old 18th January 2019, 15:46   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
476,000 miles on 1/4 tank of petrol, it's almost as good as a diesel automatic
Try changing the air filter for a cone type, might help

sent from here

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 18:40   #8
sjr
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 & Ford Mustang 5.0 GT

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
SJR
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 20:26   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Try changing the air filter for a cone type, might help

sent from here
It's got a K&N panel filter as it happens
Old 19th January 2019, 11:18   #10
david simpson
Subscribed

MG ZT

Hi Justin

When my 260 went through a similar process with the same P0443 fault code a testbook T4 was used initially in the ecu replacement / renewal menu - this returned the same (option not available ) T4 error message as you seem to have experienced.

The immobiliser maintenance system T4 menu options were then selected and synchronise immobilisation was selected (with the new engine ecu in place) and T4 gave a writing data type of message and all was well.

The car started and has run without any fault code appearing, ( a couple of 40 mile runs ).
The ecu came from brown and gammons just before Christmas it was specific to the 260, new old stock.

The 75 v8 auto also needs a specific differently configured ecu.

The vid block, as I understand it is a partioned piece of the engine ecu memory that is dedicated to the Vehicle's Identity Data.

The VID section would have model, fuel, engine size, gearbox type, wheel size etc data stored to allow the ecu to cater for the specifics of the vehicle. For a new virginised ecu specific to the 75 v8 auto the specifics should all be present but the car's actual Vehicle Identity Number would be absent as it is specific to each individual car.

A missing VIN number and maybe other details, that T4 fails to write to the VID block of the new ecu / Gateway could present a VID block fault code. The gateway ecu seems to form a data bridge between the Ford engine control unit the MG Rover side of the car's electronic systems and T4.

So for your 75 v8 auto car to present a VID block data fault code, (with the correct ECU present), perhaps T4 hasn't written the vin / other car specifics into the vid block / Gateway controller. So this may need revisiting with T4 with the usual precautions around having a well charged car battery and ideally a trickle charger in place to compensate for the current demand being drawn during the process if the engine isn't running with the ignition is on. As you say - the 260 and 75 V8 have an on / off relationship with T4.

Or is it possible that the ECU you have isn't the appropriate 75 V8 unit meaning that the VID block would contain data from a different vehicle and present a VID block fault code. When my ecu arrived it had a part number and sticker associated with the MGZT260 and a manufacture date in 2005.

Regarding the other P0400 type pending codes, they sound to be associated with the evap emissions system that has already been extensively checked over.

It may be prudent just to check the evap valve solenoid electrical connection is still secure and that the evap valve diaphragm lifts from it's seating opening the suction port allowing engine vacuum to evacuate the fuel tank / charcoal canister fumes via the purge tube when the control solenoid receives the actuation signal from the ecu.

The valve function test can be achieved by disconnecting the white fuel tank connector and listening / feeling for air suction at the open evap valve port. With my 260, the evap system runs within about 10 mins of the car being started from cold and left to idle. The evap valve is normally closed so without an ecu provided electrical earth signal the open valve port where the white socket connects would have no airflow.

There is no fuel tank pressure sensor or evap purge flow sensor on the 260 so the only evap system component that is directly monitored is the evap purge valve electrical circuit. There has been some speculation that the change in rpm sensed by the crank sensor and / or a change in air fuel ratio sensed by the O2 sensors is used within the engine ecu to monitor evap system performance.

Hope this ramble helps
Best of luck

Dave S.

Last edited by david simpson; 19th January 2019 at 15:07.. Reason: clarity
david simpson is offline   Reply With Quote