Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th October 2018, 08:16   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Bumpy undulating roads

Bumpy undulating roads, my CDT seems to manage these quite well.
Was quite surprised on holiday how well it coped. When I say bumpy I don't mean pot holes, just where the road surface has risen and fallen.

Alas I cant say the same for corners, too much body role for me and under steer, something I've noticed before. Cant find an issue with front end.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 08:50   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

I'm not sure that MGR designers checked out the Dales roads when they were planning the road holding characteristics of their cars

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 09:26   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The main road past the cottages has a few dips and humps, probably to do with the old mine workings in the area. That doesn't stop the local "yoofs" treating it like Hangar Straight at Silverstone. You can hear them tearing past late in the evening, been more than one fatality in the past few years particularly a couple of hundred yards away from here heading west, dip immediately followed by a hump right before a bend, a few have lost it and ended up in the trees.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 12:26   #4
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Was quite surprised on holiday how well it coped. When I say bumpy I don't mean pot holes, just where the road surface has risen and fallen.

Alas I cant say the same for corners, too much body role for me and under steer, something I've noticed before. Cant find an issue with front end.

macafee2

I think you'll find they're all like that, especially with 15 or 16" wheels. When I originally took mine for a test drive I made the mistake of not including any proper corners on the route and it drove wonderfully when I got it..... until I came to a sweeping increasing radius corner and I thought 'oh dear....' I'm not talking about trying to drive it like a sports car, just simple things like motorway slip roads became a bit bottom clenching at times due to the body roll and feeling of understeer - you always got round mind you but it wasn't a feeling I enjoyed.

Actually the best handling/comfort setup I had was standard 75 suspension with 18" wheels (so 17" ones might help?), it was comfortable and went round corners like a decent car should. The problem was that it looked a bit 'allroad', then a front spring snapped and I lowered it after which it handled beautifully on smooth roads but was too bangy/crashy on the usual pot holed rubbish we have to put up with
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 13:42   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I have to say much as I love the 75’s, yes they understeer quite a bit.
I’ve compared this with both the Jaguar XF and the Mercedes CLS, both of which have more positive steering but you have to remember the design of the cars are decades apart.
My CLS is in for service today and I’ve got a 220 C Class Estate courtesy car which would probably be comparable with the 75 tourer.
It’s very positive with the steering and with the latest 9 speed auto box it can be as sporty as you want it to be.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 21:40   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Nice to see you are still taking an interest in our cars Jim.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:36   #7
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

I fully agree.
And mind I've got 15" crown alloys that gives me a lot of tyre but I don't complain because the old girl is so incredibly comfy!
Just not so fit for slopy twisting roads: then I've my good old remapped 25 manual to jump into that gives me a lot of fun!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 6th October 2018 at 07:41..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 08:41   #8
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

They do understeer quite a bit, but if you back off on the accelerator they do the opposite, they tend to oversteer

If you get it just right it'll help take you round the corner

It took me a while to adjust when I started using the Volvo as a daily driver as it's steering is more positive and goes where I point it.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 09:34   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
They do understeer quite a bit, but if you back off on the accelerator they do the opposite, they tend to oversteer

If you get it just right it'll help take you round the corner

It took me a while to adjust when I started using the Volvo as a daily driver as it's steering is more positive and goes where I point it.

Russ
i'll now have to give it a go

I've learnt not to push in corners and drive like the car equates to, an old man

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote