Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd September 2018, 15:02   #1
Siestaman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Red face Abs

Thanks for all who repsonded to my last request. I am located in a village near Valencia, Spain. My previous problem was a water ingress problem. Turned out to be the rubber seal on the steering column had come out, allowing water ingress.

I have another problem.

My vehicle is a 1999, 2.0L, CDTi, manual, LHD.

My ABS light comes on when I start the vehicle but it goes off as I drive away, but within minutes the ABS light comes on. Does this every time I start up anew.
My further problem is that the Speedo has become intermittent.
I read on another forum that the speedo gets its pulses from the sensor on the off side front wheel (near side on LHD car???).
Is it probable that the above sensor is the cause of my problems?
Which side sensor should I start with on my LHD car?
Has anyone had similar problems with ABS and speedo fault?
Any and all help is very welcome.
Thanks.
Siestaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 15:50   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

On a LHD car I believe it to be the front passenger side sensor/lead/bearing that is faulty.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 16:00   #3
Siestaman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Abs

Many thanks Stocktake.

I checked the passenger side sensor and cable. I found the cable was frayed and was hanging loosley. So insulated the cable and tied the cable to the brake pad sensor cable with cable ties.

Hopefully that will do for a temporary make shift repair. New sensor and cable ordered.

Here's the item that steered me to the passenger side.
"Rover 75 abs ecu also provides speedo pulse from front off side wheel so if you still have a speedo you can count that one out as faulty.When you turn on ignition abs light should come on for a self test then go off.If it does this but comes on when car moves then a wheel sensor has gone down.Check wiring to front sensors as they tend to rub against the wheel on full lock.Sensors are on e-bay but are a bit of a bi*ch to fit. Remove the locating screw and pull out the old unit but before you try and fit the new unit rub down the plastic rib on the sensor body with a file or the buggers wont push into the hub carrier but don't take too much off".

Because my speedo reading was intermittent I hoped it was only a damaged cable. Was I lucky or what?
Siestaman is offline   Reply With Quote