Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2018, 12:33   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Is it now possible to fit SRS / pretentioners from a donor vehicle?

Local insurers have destined another good 75 to the wreckers.
In this latest incident, a club member’s 75 was “T Boned’ by an overseas visitor driving through a give way intersection. The airbags and pretentioners were activated.
In Oz, the activation of airbags, in itself is not cause for a “statutory write-off", i.e. permanently taken off the road. However with cost of replacement airbags from the UK (shipping requirements specify “approved storage container”) good cars are unnecessarily disappearing from our roads.
I note that an MG Rover directive states - “never substitute [SRS] components from other vehicles”. I presume that this may be due to encoded VIN details etc. particular to each vehicle.
However, with the experience gained over time by the nucleus of electronic gurus in our club, I wonder whether this directive is still applicable.
I also read that the manufacturer (Autoliv) has to be informed of any changes.
Would like to see as many of these cars as possible retained.
Here's hoping that someone will be able to virginize the eproms (or whatever) so we can overcome this restriction and fit good replacements from donor cars.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 14:20   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Fitting a secondhand Autoliv SRS module needs to be from a car with the same spec i.e. you can’t fit a Tourer airbag SRS module in a saloon and vice versa also it needs to have the same spec i.e. if one car had curtain airbags then the module from a donor car must have airbags, even after doing this when you plug T4 in and I know this because I’ve seen it on mine many times what will happen is you will get a Vin mismatch, but that is no massive problem

Swapping over seat belt buckle pre-tensioners is no big issue, but you must remember that Mark one models had a blue plug and mark 2’s have yellow plugs slightly different, but they can be hardwired in anyway, also The airbag system was changed over to autoluv from Teramic
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 15:14   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Yes you've always been able to reuse the SRS ECUs on our cars. Just needs to be the same type as the original.

You'll get an SRS warning lamp if it's not the same configuration, but that's easily sorted out using T4

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote