Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2018, 07:49   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Emergency Starting the car (Jump Leads)

Check out emergency starting in the owners hand book and it will give you the official way to use the booster cables, pages 168-169.

It states do not connect a booster cable to the negative (-) terminal of the discharged battery.

First make sure the donor car is parked adjacent to discharge car battery side by side if possible cars not to be touching.

Make sure ALL electrical equipment of BOTH cars are turned off you can then follow the instructions below.

1 Connect the RED booster cable between the positive (+) terminals of both batteries.

2 Connect the BLACK booster cable from the negative (-) terminal of the donor battery to a good earth point, an engine mounting or other unpainted surface on the discharged car, keeping it at least 0.5 m from the battery and well away from fuel and brake lines.

3 Check the cables are clear of moving parts of both engines, then start the donor car allowing it to idle for a few minutes (5) maybe.

4 Now start the engine of the discharged battery car ( DO NOT crank the engine for more than 15 seconds.

5 Once both engines are running normally, allow them to idle for two minutes before switching off the engine of the donor car and disconnecting the booster cables. DO NOT switch on any electrical on the previously disabled car, until the booster cables have been removed.

6 Disconnecting the booster cables must be the exact reversal of the procedure used to connect them, ie disconnect the BLACK cable from the earth point on the disabled car FIRST.

That is the official emergency staring procedure in the owners book.

PS Andy beat me to it, he must type faster than me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17937.jpg (120.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17938.jpg (119.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17939.jpg (116.3 KB, 11 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 7th November 2018 at 07:59..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 08:21   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

please do not take the guides here on how to jump start as correct for all cars.
If memory serves me right, older cars, some if not all were positive earth, not sure what year it switched to negative earth

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 09:02   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
So.....

The last connection made is TO THE EARTHING POINT which is NOT what is says in No.8

Yes, I'm being pedantic (and it probably doesn't really matter) but it's a "How to" from a well established motoring organisation. I'd expect it to be absolutely spot on and completely "idiot proof" particularly as it's published on the internet.

Andy.

PS I have emailed them. I'll be interested in their reply
It does matter Andy, but only as a safety measure.

Better to connect the positive first and the negative second, because if you drop one of the cables onto the car, or touch them against any conducting chassis or engine part nothing happens.

Connect the negative first, and then make a mistake with the positive and sparks will quite literally fly.

Exactly the same when disconnecting - safer to start with the negative cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
please do not take the guides here on how to jump start as correct for all cars.
If memory serves me right, older cars, some if not all were positive earth, not sure what year it switched to negative earth

macafee2
And, strange as it may sound Ian, I have worked on a vehicle that was both.

You would definitely have to connect directly to the battery terminals to jump start it.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 7th November 2018 at 09:41..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 09:26   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Here's a good video from Bosch on jump stating a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnijnVX-L2c
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 09:31   #15
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Doesn't this rule out the use of the compact starter packs as recently discussed on here because they all seem to have very short leads that would only reach the battery terminals?

The only bare metal connection anyhere remotely near the battery that I can see on my CDT is the smallish top nuts on the suspension strut which I do not know if they even connect to the bare metal of the chassis anyway.

I have used the much larger starter packs on my car and connected to the spots that Steve Arctic has identified but the larger powerpacks have much longer leads which reach over the other side of the engine.

Last edited by bendrick; 7th November 2018 at 09:33..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 12:48   #16
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Doesn't this rule out the use of the compact starter packs as recently discussed on here because they all seem to have very short leads that would only reach the battery terminals?

The only bare metal connection anyhere remotely near the battery that I can see on my CDT is the smallish top nuts on the suspension strut which I do not know if they even connect to the bare metal of the chassis anyway.

I have used the much larger starter packs on my car and connected to the spots that Steve Arctic has identified but the larger powerpacks have much longer leads which reach over the other side of the engine.
I read the spec of one that said words to the effect of "spark free connection".
I assume you don't switch it on until the connection is made.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 13:13   #17
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I've really lost count of the many instrument packs I've had to sort out after people have "jump started" their cars the usual one is the 999999 issue due to a voltage spike.

Then the instrument pack needs stripping, eeprom reprogrammed, reassembled and then configured correctly on T4.

My advice take it or leave it, is unless it's really absolutely necessary is to avoid using a battery or booster to start a car take the battery off and charge it

Often it doesn't take too long to get enough charge in it for it to start a car.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 13:39   #18
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
I've really lost count of the many instrument packs I've had to sort out after people have "jump started" their cars the usual one is the 999999 issue due to a voltage spike.

Then the instrument pack needs stripping, eeprom reprogrammed, reassembled and then configured correctly on T4.

My advice take it or leave it, is unless it's really absolutely necessary is to avoid using a battery or booster to start a car take the battery off and charge it

Often it doesn't take too long to get enough charge in it for it to start a car.

Russ

I appreciate the advice which will certainly help in certain home breakdowns however it doesn't help if you're stuck miles from home. Either yourself or a breakdown company are going to have to jump start it somehow which presumably is why people wish to carry a starter pack in case they get stranded at some point.

I have seen some of the packs claim to have anti spike technology ( I think NOCO claims that it has anti spike protection and anti spark technology on the clamps)

Last edited by bendrick; 7th November 2018 at 13:49..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 14:05   #19
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The last couple I had were caused by AA/RAC

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 14:42   #20
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post

Russ
Hi Russ.
Really value your input and opinion.
Is there ever a danger of damage caused by a spike when you reconnect the freshly charged battery that has just been removed for charging purposes?
I usually seem to get a bit of flashing when connecting the earth lead after first connecting the pos lead.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote