Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2018, 22:19   #1
Dickie524

MG ZT-T

Default Sorry folks - another towing electrics question!

Hi folks, I have seen numerous threads on the matter of towing electrics but none seem to quite answer my query entirely.

I am wiring up a basic (2nd hand) towbar which ONLY has the black 7-pin connector (only to be used for a trailer).

The donor car only had the 7 wires scotchlocked to the rear light cluster wiring with no reported problems.

I have a late '05' ZTT with the mini-fuse box. (Donor was a late '54' plate 75)

My car does not have the 'message centre' but only an instrument warning panel. However I understand it does still have 'Canbus' so...

1. Do I still need to fit the towing relay? (The TEB7AS type) please? (There was no sign of one on the donor car but that means it wouldn't even have had an indicator buzzer either!)

2. If I should use such a relay, then can I use the orange/ slate wire which is dangling behind the fuse box to power the relay?

3. If so, so I need to fuse this wire, or is it already fused in the engine compartment?

4. If so - which fuse in the engine compartment doe sit go to - and should i remove this which wiring it up? (Or would that upset something else?!)

5. AS I don't have the 'message centre', I don't have bulb fail warning lights... In which case, do I need to do anything to the LSM?

Many thanks and apologies if this is frustrating - the wiring is much more modern (complicated!!) on this that it is on my 820SLi!!

Cheers, Rich
Dickie524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 22:27   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Fit a canbus relay, run the 12v supply from the fusebox and fit an inline fuse, you do have bulb failure on your IPK even though its not the highline version.
Old 5th October 2018, 22:31   #3
Dickie524

MG ZT-T

Wow, that was fast! Many thanks.

Will that orange/ slate wire be live as it is, or do I gather that I need to do something in the engine bay to make it live?
Old 5th October 2018, 23:12   #4
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I found it easier to pick up some permanent power from the fuse box under the glovebox via a piggyback connector and run a heavyish wire from there under the carpet to the boot.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 08:28   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie524 View Post
Wow, that was fast! Many thanks.

Will that orange/ slate wire be live as it is, or do I gather that I need to do something in the engine bay to make it live?
The thick orange and slate coloured wire is not connected at the under bonnet fusebox end so it's not live.
There's a vacant slot in one of the connectors on the underside of the fusebox that it plugs into

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 08:32   #6
Dickie524

MG ZT-T

Great, thanks Russ (and many thanks for all your efforts with the T4 the other day by the way - I've been meaning to email to say all was well!)

I did find a 'how to' guide eventually but all the pictures seemed to be missing from it last night.

I'll see if I can find out where to plug it in to. Thanks ! Rich
Old 6th October 2018, 21:29   #7
Dickie524

MG ZT-T

Right, so I think I'm getting somewhere. I have ordered a TEB7AS off the 'bay, and was surprised to find that the 'Link kit' (YMZ000150) is still available from Rimmers.

I need this just in order to get the purple engine fuse box connector, as far as I know.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YMZ000150

I assume the vacant slot in the middle of the 3 way connector is for me to put the orange and slate wire into.

f I am not using the Rover proprietary wiring kit, do I need to bother with the thin green wire into no9 slot in the LSM? What purpose does this actually serve?

As far as I can tell this only goes to a 3 pin connector. However, unless I have the (NLA) Rover kit, then all I will be doing with this connector is using the orange and slate wire. i.e the green LSM wire will be termnating at the 3 pin connector anyway.

So it seems a waste of effort to route the thin green wire over to the LSM unless I'm mistaken?

Also there's a pinky purple wire in the kit, no idea where it goes!

Still, its only a tenner, worth it just for the purple connector to the engine fuse box I suspect, even if that;s all I use.

Thanks all, Rich
Old 6th October 2018, 21:59   #8
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The Light Green is used in the OE wiring kit to connect to the LSM to monitor the trailer bulbs for the bulb failure system.

The Light/Green Pink is used in the OE wiring to connect to a relay to give an ignition feed to the trailer socket. - not needed for just trailer lighting.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 22:07   #9
Dickie524

MG ZT-T

Great info, thanks Raykay, sounds like no need to worry unduly then. Thanks!

Kit ordered nontheless, might as well use that hefty orange wire for the current.
Old 7th October 2018, 13:10   #10
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
The Light Green is used in the OE wiring kit to connect to the LSM to monitor the trailer bulbs for the bulb failure system.

The Light/Green Pink is used in the OE wiring to connect to a relay to give an ignition feed to the trailer socket. - not needed for just trailer lighting.
That's correct but it's only needed on later cars, earlier cars already have the wiring in place

Always best to check your Vin to see if it's needed or which link kit to fit as there are two one fits 2002-2003, the other 2003 onward

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 7th October 2018 at 13:16..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote