Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th August 2018, 15:19   #11
blaggard
Avid contributor

Rover 75 connoisseur se

Here's mine installed

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...5&postcount=14
blaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 15:34   #12
PC2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

At the moment the sat nav function doesn't work on mine (before the screen went), bu the cd multi player and steering wheel controls did, plus it is wired ready for reversing camera (just have fitted the camera yet.
I' not worried about originality, more about cost and ease If I get someone to fit it will be between £60-£100. Plus the unit, plus any extra leads adapters.
I I get a second hand BMW e46 it will cost me about £120 from ebay, and £60 to fit, but how long will it last and do the new systems have a better sound quality?
PC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 15:51   #13
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
At the moment the sat nav function doesn't work on mine (before the screen went), bu the cd multi player and steering wheel controls did, plus it is wired ready for reversing camera (just have fitted the camera yet.
I' not worried about originality, more about cost and ease If I get someone to fit it will be between £60-£100. Plus the unit, plus any extra leads adapters.
I I get a second hand BMW e46 it will cost me about £120 from ebay, and £60 to fit, but how long will it last and do the new systems have a better sound quality?

The OEM head units are just "dumb" screens, with all the "gubbins" located in the boot. If you replace it with another e46 unit, it will be a direct plug & play replacement, so you should be able to save yourself the fitting costs. It will also make use of your Harmon Kardon amp and sub, so should sound better than an after market Android double din.

Having said that though, the aftermarket jobs really don't sound bad at all and I suspect you'd be perfectly happy with the sound as is, without running the additional wiring needed for the Harmon amp and sub. You'd also still need to fix the sat nav on your current unit, as a replacement e46 head unit will not fix that issue (the sat nav unit is located in the boot, along with the amp and radio tuner).

If it were me, I'd replace with another e46 unit and sort the sat nav, but if, as you say, you're not particularly fussed about originality, then now may be the time to "splash the cash" and go for a modern bells and whistles job.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 16:26   #14
PC2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

This is a new car for me (I've had two others, but non with sat nave or Harmon)
In the boot there are two boxes - is one a sat nav? Or are the two the radio and Harmon amps?
I have a Tom Tom sat nav I use so not particularly bothered, but interested to know and whether its any good.
I also struggle trying to get the head unit out - is there a link of how to do it?
PC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 17:16   #15
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
This is a new car for me (I've had two others, but non with sat nave or Harmon)
In the boot there are two boxes - is one a sat nav? Or are the two the radio and Harmon amps?.....
Probably the sat nav and radio I suspect. I've never owned a Harmon equipped car myself, so I'm not sure where the amp would be, but I believe the sub is also in the boot, under the parcel shelf. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
.....I also struggle trying to get the head unit out - is there a link of how to do it?
I think from memory you need to remove one of the round knobs on the head unit in order to access a small screw which will facilitate removal. I think it's the one on the passenger side. Once that is done, you will still need to remove the "eye brow" above the unit to expose a couple of screws at the top of the unit that hold it in place.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 12:50   #16
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I have been looking at the BMW widescreen in place of the current Hi-line screen in my ZT - is there any particular type that is best or are all the E46 units the same?

I have the HK system and a BM24 tuner, I'm not fussed about the TV not working so presume I can live without the tuner, but want to keep the CD changer and steering controls and perhaps fit the Mk4 sat nav.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 20:42   #17
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I have been looking at the BMW widescreen in place of the current Hi-line screen in my ZT - is there any particular type that is best or are all the E46 units the same?

I have the HK system and a BM24 tuner, I'm not fussed about the TV not working so presume I can live without the tuner, but want to keep the CD changer and steering controls and perhaps fit the Mk4 sat nav.
E46 widescreen comes in 2 types, 1 with a cassette player behind the screen the other a CD, the CD unit being harder to come by. Other than that I think they are pretty much the same.
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 22:48   #18
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
You can't do without the tuner otherwise you won't get the radio or indeed any sound from the system, the TV is part of the Video module in the boot ( video on the left of the boot, tuner is to the right) located normally behind the black cover in the spare wheel well.

You can always fit a DVB unit to the Video module to get TV or get the BMW DVB video module but they are when I last looked very expensive even secondhand.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 06:39   #19
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
You can't do without the tuner otherwise you won't get the radio or indeed any sound from the system, the TV is part of the Video module in the boot ( video on the left of the boot, tuner is to the right) located normally behind the black cover in the spare wheel well.

You can always fit a DVB unit to the Video module to get TV or get the BMW DVB video module but they are when I last looked very expensive even secondhand.

Russ
sorry, I meant not worrying about the TV widescreen tuner and keeping the existing one.

Last edited by kelvo; 14th September 2018 at 07:07..
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 09:39   #20
poiterbb
Regular poster

Rover 75 connossieur SE

Question BMW E46 head unit

I recently managed to pick up rather cheap a good working BMW E46 head

unit with all the bells and whistles . the unit is i believe a Dynavin model no E-mark 10R-03 1086 translated to N6-E46.
I havent tried anything yet but i am now wondering whether this unit will be able to be fitted in my 2002 SE connisseur. The unit i have in there now is from a BMW E46 but it was a replacement for the original ice unit, still works fine but the screen is getting unreadable.
If anyone can help or advise me that would be really appreciated .

cheers,from down under!.
poiterbb is offline   Reply With Quote