Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th April 2018, 17:23   #21
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

It's quite amazing how quick the public have been to turn against diesels with new sales down 20% or more, the scrappage schemes simply enriched the scammers who frigged the emissions on new vehicles.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 17:35   #22
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Diesels were declining long before the emission tampering. One litre three cylinder turbo petrol engines are as economic and efficient as a 1600 diesel. Go round the back of a modern day diesel and it’s still unpleasant although not as ba£ as 10 years ago. Our next car will be a petrol or hybrid hopefully.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 17:49   #23
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Diesels were declining long before the emission tampering. One litre three cylinder turbo petrol engines are as economic and efficient as a 1600 diesel. Go round the back of a modern day diesel and it’s still unpleasant although not as ba£ as 10 years ago. Our next car will be a petrol or hybrid hopefully.
well I for one will never buy an Electri car,,,,,,they wont go the distance without recharging.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 17:58   #24
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I think a good option is electric that can be plugged in at home but with a small LPG or CNG powered ICE whose only job is to generate electricity for the battery and power for the electric motor(s) so that long journeys are not an issue.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 22:29   #25
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Oh I think the jury is out on the fact that building a new car is the most polluting activity of a cars lifecycle.

What has yet to be determined is the net gain from scrapping older cars to force us to buy newer ones that are admittedly less polluting in everyday use.
Yes, I wonder where the breakeven point is?

When will a new car cumulatively produce less pollution than my existing vehicle if you add in all the pollution caused by the manufacturing of the new vehicle and the disposal of the old?

BUT, don't forget the large chunk of TAX the government gets from new car purchases - car tax, VAT and registration fees.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 06:04   #26
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post

I can agree with you there, I'm using a Seat Ibeza with a 3 pot VW motor and frankly, I forget the last time I put fuel in it.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 07:07   #27
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Hi
A genuine question that I hope someone can answer.
What is the enviromental cost/footprint of producing a car with a battery as a power sauce. From what I have read it seems that on many electric cars the battery pack may need replacing after a few years and that a replacement battery costs more than the cars value which in turn means a scrap electric car with a huge battery to dispose of. Are these batteries recyclable?
Cheers Ian

Last edited by Ian G; 9th April 2018 at 07:10..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 07:47   #28
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Hi
A genuine question that I hope someone can answer.
What is the enviromental cost/footprint of producing a car with a battery as a power sauce. From what I have read it seems that on many electric cars the battery pack may need replacing after a few years and that a replacement battery costs more than the cars value which in turn means a scrap electric car with a huge battery to dispose of. Are these batteries recyclable?
Cheers Ian

I read the other month that there is a new company in Japan that has started re-manufacturing Nissan Leaf battery packs & selling them for $2850 / £2022. https://insideevs.com/nissan-introdu...-new-4r-plant/

Makes me wonder if it would be worthwhile buyng a Gen1 Leaf cheap and putting one of these new packs in!!!

It's usually just a small number of cells in the battery pack that have gone down & need replacing & balancing.

A lot of custom car guys are buying these used packs up too for projects.

Some packs are being used for power wall/battery storage purposes and some are being used in remote areas as charging stations.

BMW buys up lots of used battery packs to re-purpose into back up power for companies instead of a back up diesel generator.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 9th April 2018 at 08:41..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 10:12   #29
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Yes - once an electric vehicles battery has lost its capacity and ability to power the vehicle effectively - it still has the capacity to provide back up power in other applications.

I have been looking at what some people do with them as storage for power generated by our Solar Panels. Apparently an old Toyota Prius battery can store electricity generated by solar panels such that when the sun goes down the battery pack via an inverter provides power for nighttime.

Sounds a good idea to me - the only thing that stops us at the moment is the insurance implications as unlike a battery pack designed for this function - using an old Prius battery is a DIY potential nightmare that no insurance company will accept the risk on.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 14:54   #30
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
well I for one will never buy an Electric car,,,,,,they wont go the distance without recharging.
Have to agree with that. At the moment unless its just for going to the shops you'd need to plan a trip like a military operation.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote