Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2014, 15:45   #671
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
I agree and a small but important thing locally is that Maldon council recently increased it's parking fees and started charging on sundays and after 6pm for the first time, when questioned why they said they had checked surrounding boroughs and the charge was now inline with Chelmsford...

So that'll be the Chelmsford with probably five times the number of shops, ten times or more the number of restaurents & clubs and a multiplex cinema....something Maldon does not have...

I put this to them in an open letter in the local paper, needless to say the rise came in and they didn't respond...
This is a classic case of why we should be wary of the devolution of services to local authorities. Just after the millennium, when 'councils' were given powers to raise money from parking, instead of using the Police, I was told by an insider that our council was going to use this facility to raise additional funding. Originally, parking restrictions were put in place on safety, or congestion grounds. Now they are implemented anywhere that a council can see potential for raising cash. This is the same council that spent £70,000 on bottled water for staff and more recently, has closed many of its public toilets, even though it is one of our major UK seaside holiday destinations!

Give me strength!

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:28   #672
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's mainly a function of individual councillors' needs to develop power bases to further their careers.

If Gobby Joe can increase receipts and wipe out deficits in 'his' department he is seen as a future leader and tends to hold sway in future deals. Very few are there for their stated desire to 'give something back' or because they are dedicated to serving the public. Not all, of course. But those honourable few tend to be swamped by networking jobsworths and vainglorious charlatans. Sorry, but seen too many playing the power game and going on to be magistrates etc to further their social empires. Bah, humbug!
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:55   #673
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

This thread is well past its sell by date .

It has degenerated into a lets kick the Scots around for a laugh , some of you should be ashamed of yourselves..
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:02   #674
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
This thread is well past its sell by date .

It has degenerated into a lets kick the Scots around for a laugh , some of you should be ashamed of yourselves..
I would have to agree.

Plus it seems to have wandered of the core topic, although still vary valid comments being made.

BW
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:07   #675
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
(most people have little idea what politics is really all about - they only see the whole picture through single issues)

And there it is again, The idea, that us mere mortals have no idea... says WHO?.....

Why has voting in this country taken a Nosedive... Not because we are clueless... But because we are MORE knowledgeable about the subject than ever before, we are NOT easily led... and as such, People "most".. have had enough, hence they choose not to even waste their time going to Vote.

At least the Scots came out in force... at a time when it was IN their own interests, no matter which way they voted, which shows to me "most" mere mortals DO have a clue....about Politics and how it affects us on many levels rather than One Single Issue.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:40   #676
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
I would have to agree.

Plus it seems to have wandered of the core topic, although still vary valid comments being made.

BW
Yes it has went off course but I am enjoying the English debate about English matters but some of the comments on here are verging on baiting.

Show some class people !.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 06:21   #677
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Well I suppose if we are staying on topic *(and I think we have all wandered off topic with this one)

I imagine that post independence, all cars in Scotland previously registered with UK Scottish registration numbers would keep them, then once a separate registration authority had been set up all newly registered cars in Scotland would be registered using the new system maybe with the option of re registering using the new system.

FLYER,
I hope you don't think I am one of the Scot bashers you mention, it was not my intention and if it appears like that I apologise.
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:51   #678
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75tourerSE View Post
And there it is again, The idea, that us mere mortals have no idea... says WHO?.....

Why has voting in this country taken a Nosedive... Not because we are clueless... But because we are MORE knowledgeable about the subject than ever before, we are NOT easily led... and as such, People "most".. have had enough, hence they choose not to even waste their time going to Vote.

At least the Scots came out in force... at a time when it was IN their own interests, no matter which way they voted, which shows to me "most" mere mortals DO have a clue....about Politics and how it affects us on many levels rather than One Single Issue.
At the risk of incurring your wrath even further, and your reply suggests you are angered by my post (not my intention!) perhaps an explanation might help

You only quote one line from me, and point to the referendum as evidence that my suggestion is wrong in principle? If ever there was One Single Issue (your capitalising) surely a vote about Independence is it! I would have thought the vast majority of the electorate in Scotland had just the one issue in mind when they were aroused on this. ‘One Single Issue’ brought about (as indeed it should) the biggest percentage turnout ever seen in any UK vote in all its history! Those who voted weren’t thinking about ‘politics’, they were concerned about the possibility of Independence only.

I don’t mockingly denigrate the electorate by using the term ‘mere mortals’ and your assertion that ‘we’ are more knowledgeable is a bit misleading. The opportunity for the politically conscious or active amongst us to have their say is massively greater than at any other time due to the internet – not necessarily the same thing as ‘we’ knowing more.

Finally, the reason why voting is seen as a waste of time by a minority of the electorate (and it is a minority – many general elections produce turnouts in excess of 60%) is because ordinary people have no idea about the inner workings of government, or that decisions can be prevented from being made by more pressing matters. These things can be seen as having a greater importance than local issues and so take precedence. As a result many are enraged by what they see as ‘useless idiots’ playing games. My point is that ‘most’ people might take a wider view if they were made aware of the bigger picture. This could be achieved by school education from a young but enquiring age, so what I am calling for is greater general political knowledge so politicians can be realistically called to account. Not too far from your own view, I think!

And this blessed new computer will not reproduce as intended! Similar to elected politicians really.

Last edited by wraymond; 23rd September 2014 at 09:53..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:46   #679
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I know what you mean Bob, they to a man/woman follow the party line.

On the other hand, in virtually any other occupation we presumably agree that experience in the job is essential if the applicant is to be engaged. We also assume that politics is about people. Well, I don't think it is. It's about politics! A very different thing. And an awful lot of people, having no experience of it, see it only from a distance.

The problem arises because of public schools and the nepotism coming from it, while 'ordinary' people can't get on to the ladder. That's why for years we had working class people getting into politics and parliament via the Trade Unions and Labour party. They had no experience and ultimately had a hard time of it.

If secondary schools actually taught politics as part of the curriculum (and I mean across the board rather than 'Party'), and Universities offered more politics degrees rather than Social Sciences and ridiculous Media Studies, it seems likely that the balance might successfully be changed. Two or three generations maybe, but well worth the effort to break the rich kid monopoly! They would then be more able to fight their principled corner using the tools they need rather than personal commitment only. Just a thought.
Last time I heard it was possible to take a degree in politics philosophy and economics all vital I would think for those considering a career in government. I do agree that the politics of governance should be taught in all schools not just state ones and show the various models from Pericles and Plato on. I believe some state schools have created their own ,parliaments, and economics groups where students actually plan investments and follow them through academic year.

We need more of this kind of thinking across the board and reintroduction of technical schools so pupils who are not academic get a chance to develop other skills and degrees in engineering, physics,electronics, and the other skills in which we excelled should be promoted rather than the arts and media studies. We do need good journalists and filmmakers I agree hut we do ourselves no favours by taking easy options. Foreign students who come to UK to study are doing science and technology which should give us an idea where the rest of the world is heading as we decline gracefully.

To those who don't vote because they are disgusted well I think you get the government you deserve, get up challenge your MP make him/her aware of your needs regardless of party he I/her is there to represent all of their constituents. Sheep can't vote we can don't be sheep
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:45   #680
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

I think one of our more learned members referrers to us as:

Sheeples
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote