Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th July 2017, 04:07   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Start/stop button install

Would it be possible to install one of these in our lovely 75's? Maybe someone has a guide with the steps or can explain how it's done and what is needed. I would find it much more elegant and modern-like to be able to start or stop the car at just a push of a button If someone could help me out I would then happily write a detailed how to on this if succesfully achieved to install it to provide back to the community.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 07:15   #2
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Oooo I like the look of that, only one problem is the steering lock.

Personally I'd keep the current ignition key and have a relayed switch for the push start, so your not messing with the current immobiliser.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 11:21   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

How can we bypass the steering lock then? And can you ho in depth a little about the current imobiliser and what that is? I really have no idea about this sort of stuff.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:42   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Been through this a few year ago in depth when we were actually looking at remote starting, almost impossible to fit the whole set. the immobiliser requires the chip in the key to be in close proximity. all sorts of other issues as well such as not being able to lock doors because the car still sees the key in place if you secrete it . Removing steering lock is just madness, your insurance would be void for theft for starters I would imagine.

The push start you are looking at is quite simple to fit as the two wires concerned are reasonable accessible on their way up to the ign barrel. Once you have established the load you may want to use a relay to switch the load required from these two wires.

Believe me though, you will soon tire of putting the key in with one hand and than having a separate hand/action to press another button to start the car

D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 10th July 2017 at 11:46..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 06:58   #5
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well as I've said I'm not that good with these kind of things, but I've seen a lot of clips on youtube with cars built after 2000 or 2005 with these kind of things installed and everything was working normally, the only thing we'd have to do to get it close to factory-like would be removing the ignition cylinder so that we get rid of the steering lock, which some would want to do and some not, but I'd do it if needed.

And as far as I know there are kits that come with an immobiliser too, maybe this one?

Or if that silver box is not serving as a replacing immobiliser we could install an immobiliser bypass module, right?

Last edited by Rsnail; 11th July 2017 at 07:14..
Old 11th July 2017, 07:43   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

You cannot remove the original immobilization. The electronics talk to it and without it the car won't go.
As Dave has said removing the steering lock is madness, even on an older car like the 75 there are still opportunists out there that would nick your car.
All I would suggest is to piggy back a decently rated push switch to the starter connections if you want to go ahead.
Old 11th July 2017, 08:30   #7
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Waste of time imho.

I must admit I think the ews system (immobiliser) from BMW is one of the best about - the newer ones had all sorts of security issues where you could quickly access the obd socket and drive away, a step backwards by them but never fitted to mgr. It will prevent you from fitting this type of push start unless you really throw effort into it and make it potentially less secure.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 13:21   #8
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So I think there would be 2 options for this to be done:

1. I don't know if this would work, but I've seen on the amazon some immobiliser bypass modules, and as far as I could see on youtube there are some where you put a spare key in them and some which you can program with your car, maybe someone can make things a little clearer for me if this method could somehow work.

2. Second, and I think a better option, would be taking a transponder chip out of a spare key and find a place to put it in the new key that you would get with the kit that I lastly posted, the one from amazon, so that the transponder is just moving around with you exactly like it would with your normal car ignition keys. As far as I know the transponder just needs to be in close range to the immobiliser in order to be able to start the car and the key used to start the car doesn't actually have to be inside the ignition cylinder in order for the transponder to send data to the immobiliser and therefore, letting you start the car, if this is indeed true, it would be the easiest method and I wouldn't have to bypass the immobiliser with a bypass module if that would work or complicate myself even more.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:55   #9
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Why? racing cars have a big red key on the bonnet to turn everything off in case it all goes very wrong - anything else is just for bling. Usually race cars don't need a key obviously so they need some other way to start the engine. Road cars? no, you have a key

On any hire car I've had that has the 'on/off' engine thing I've turned it off as soon as I've found out how to
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 16:36   #10
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Would you guys please stop with these offtopic things? If you can help then the community would appreciate it if you would, if not, keep those things to yourself? You say why right? Ask all the other car makers why do they put these things in almost any new built "luxury" car, but some people just like the old unchanged things. Innovation, that's why, it's like being able to have both a last model, best phone on the market, but choosing the first android ever to be released because it can do almost all the same things as the latest model phone, I don't want to start an argument on this, I just want to get this mod done on my car beacause I think it is great.