Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd August 2017, 11:44   #51
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So got this weekend a little time and installed everything, it is working perfectly and exactly like an OEM system, so now I have start stop system and remote start for cold winter mornings Removed the steering lock (easiest job of the whole thing by the way and also the ignition cylinder of course because you don't need it anymore so it really looks like OEM. To be honest I don't really care what the insurer says, and for periodical inspection (or MOT as you guys have it in England) I will just swap the button with the old ignition cylinder and the steering lock so it passes. Anyways, the car cannot be just broken into and simply pressing the button and driving away with it, when the RFID tags are not near the antenna that comes with the kit, the system is armed and you are not able to start the car, also for the immobilizer, I simply installed a relay to one of the two wires that go into the ignition cylinder's antenna receiver (or key transponder signal receiver as it is also called) and wired it to the ignition wire, so the antenna will only send the signal of the small key transponder chip to the immobilizer system, when the ignition is on. And when the ignition is off or engine not running of course, you can then normally lock the car because the relay is not energized, therefore the circuit is open, so no signal sent to the immobilizer (basically the car doesn't see the signal of the transponder that is inside the key anymore and it "thinks" that there is no key anymore inside the ignition lock and therefore it lets you lock the car). If anyone needs help, I will gladly help you with links or explanations as promised, or if enough people would be interested, I will put together a full detailed step by step tutorial, but I am telling you, it is such a nice feature to have on our lovely cars that you wouldn't imagine it until you don't really have it

There was also a system with a full key replacement, central door locking and trunk release also on the same key (new Audi type looking keys) which came with 2 new keys and wiring for alarm that the keys would then arm our OEM alarms when locking the doors, but you would then have to wire it also to the central door locking system which to be honest I would't need to, because I still have the OEM key with central door locking of course, and I can remote start the engine by pressing the lock button on the original key 3 times (this is possible because in the kit there is a wire which you connect to the wire that gets 12v in the car when locking the doors) The only things in this kit that didn't come like in the other one are remote trunk release, passive keyless lock and unlock of the doors andof course new type looking keys which I can live without.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 16:00   #52
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

starter buttons are nice and I think would complement the 75 (not keen on start/stop feature tho)

considering the pro's and con's - it's not something i'd do myself - mainly due to concerns r.e immobiliser and MOT hassles

Good job getting all this done

I'm sure there are others who will be keen to do this modification and would be thankful of a "how to"

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 20:24   #53
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
starter buttons are nice and I think would complement the 75 (not keen on start/stop feature tho)

considering the pro's and con's - it's not something i'd do myself - mainly due to concerns r.e immobiliser and MOT hassles

Good job getting all this done

I'm sure there are others who will be keen to do this modification and would be thankful of a "how to"

Paul.
I`m also interested.
Old 7th January 2018, 12:28   #54
iandux
Loves to post

At last....75 Facelift Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
To be honest I don't really care what the insurer says,
Until the day comes when you have the accident and suddenly find yourself paying considerable damages for the rest of your life..............

By all means, make your car your own, but be aware that there may be consequences down the line.

• This vehicle was the 96,129th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 2,123rd 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
  • This vehicle was the 394th 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
iandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 13:40   #55
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Might be worth bearing in mind Rsnail isn't in the UK, not 100% sure but I think Borsa is in Romania. Insurance could be a whole different ball game there.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 23:54   #56
Den
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Childish Start/Stop PB

Quote:
Would you guys please stop with these offtopic things? If you can help then the community would appreciate it if you would, if not, keep those things to yourself? You say why right? Ask all the other car makers why do they put these things in almost any new built "luxury" car, but some people just like the old unchanged things. Innovation, that's why, it's like being able to have both a last model, best phone on the market, but choosing the first android ever to be released because it can do almost all the same things as the latest model phone, I don't want to start an argument on this, I just want to get this mod done on my car beacause I think it is great.
Grow up, a car is not phone. Theives with steel your phone and "hack" it. You can't hack a keyed immobiliser!
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 06:23   #57
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Grow up, a car is not phone. Theives with steel your phone and "hack" it. You can't hack a keyed immobiliser!
Calling this venture "childish" and the tone of the above post are uncalled for.

The OP has the enthusiasm to try something different - I admire him for that.

We have all the goodies on the Twintop including a Start/Stop button. It is a nice feature if one likes features. Some people will, others will not.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 12:14   #58
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Removed the steering lock (easiest job of the whole thing by the way and also the ignition cylinder of course because you don't need it anymore so it really looks like OEM. To be honest I don't really care what the insurer says, and for periodical inspection (or MOT as you guys have it in England) I will just swap the button with the old ignition cylinder and the steering lock so it passes.

If anyone else is going to do this then bear in mind that, without a steering lock, if the car is jacked up centrally at the rear it is possible, should something go wrong, for the car to slew off the jack at an angle due to the free steering wheel.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 15:29   #59
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If anyone else is going to do this then bear in mind that, without a steering lock, if the car is jacked up centrally at the rear it is possible, should something go wrong, for the car to slew off the jack at an angle due to the free steering wheel.
You know, I'd never even considered that this might happen - I've never made sure to engage the steering lock before jacking the rear, (but always chocked both front wheels with bricks first.)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote