Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2018, 13:32   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Being an 2005 diesel it does not have a UBP. Will try spraying some contact cleaner on plug.
Tank is half full[/QUOTE
]

HI Mike.
I thought as much but because you said I tried that to the answer (klarzy) question I had to ask as I have seen late 54/05 still have the UBP.

It could be the HPFP O-rings that are weak or leaking £5.22 fix and about an hours work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-330d-...19.m1438.l2649

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 15:54   #12
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

I would check your cam sensor. If rev counter does not move when you turn it over then check crank sensor. Easy to change in less than 5 mins. I had injector problems last year but that had the symptoms of poor starting, irregular tick over/vibrations through cabin. A set of injectors @£70 off eBay sorted that. Previous year there were issues with the loom under the battery which shorted some of the ecu circuitry providing the same symptoms of low fuel pressure. I believe there is an earth wire that goes under the battery and connects to the body near the nearside wheel arch. This was part of my problem. Good luck, they are worth the hassle when you have fixed all the possible issues!
Loyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 16:57   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Filter was changed 16K miles ago.
I could not hear the pump though that could be an age thing. When we turned the engine over the laptop indicated pressure increased to about, from memory, 4 bar. I gather it should be 12 bar.
4 bar is 60 psi, perfect output for a single pump system, so it's not our fuel pump

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 17:13   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

[QUOTE=Arctic;2649233]
Quote:
]

HI Mike.
I thought as much but because you said I tried that to the answer (klarzy) question I had to ask as I have seen late 54/05 still have the UBP.

It could be the HPFP O-rings that are weak or leaking £5.22 fix and about an hours work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-330d-...19.m1438.l2649
The VIN change point for the fuel pump is 5D332300, anything after this VIN will be single pump

Brian
Old 12th July 2018, 17:24   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Tried that with no luck.
Looked at the plenum which was dry.
AA man turned up and managed to get the car to fire up with EastStart.
Connected up his lap top which said it was a low pressure feed from the ITP. He will Email me the fault code but it looks like I need a new ITP. I saw a post from MarinsBrian saying that they never fail but I do not know where else to look.
The code is P1260 "pre delivery fuel pressure too low for starting"

This code is generated every time the fuel pump is allowed to time out, such as when the ignition is turned to position 2 and not started, for instance to allow the car to be diagnosed by the AA patrolman.

So the car started on easistart, did it continue to run once it fired? if so this point to a couple of possibilities.

1 most likely, a faulty camshaft sensor, this is used to reference the firing cycle before the injectors are allowed to operate.

2 Injector leakback, if the high pressure fuel rail is <12500 Kpa (1800 psi) during cranking, injector operation is inhibited, a squirt of easistart will allow the engine to fire, and once the high pressure fuel pump is spinning faster, it will generate enough pressure to overcome the leaking injector(s)

A bit more information required here

Brian
Old 12th July 2018, 18:24   #16
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The code is P1260 "pre delivery fuel pressure too low for starting"

This code is generated every time the fuel pump is allowed to time out, such as when the ignition is turned to position 2 and not started, for instance to allow the car to be diagnosed by the AA patrolman.

So the car started on easistart, did it continue to run once it fired? if so this point to a couple of possibilities.

1 most likely, a faulty camshaft sensor, this is used to reference the firing cycle before the injectors are allowed to operate.

2 Injector leakback, if the high pressure fuel rail is <12500 Kpa (1800 psi) during cranking, injector operation is inhibited, a squirt of easistart will allow the engine to fire, and once the high pressure fuel pump is spinning faster, it will generate enough pressure to overcome the leaking injector(s)

A bit more information required here

Brian

The error code was P1260. Even though my hearing is not so good these days I think I can hear a hum from ITP.

It started on EasyStart but did not run on.
I believe looking over his shoulder that the HP pump was showing 2500 psi

When you push the starter the rev counter registers but I assume that does not preclude a faulty cam sensor.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 21:17   #17
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
The error code was P1260. Even though my hearing is not so good these days I think I can hear a hum from ITP.

It started on EasyStart but did not run on.
I believe looking over his shoulder that the HP pump was showing 2500 psi

When you push the starter the rev counter registers but I assume that does not preclude a faulty cam sensor.
If the camshaft sensor was U/S, I would have expected his code reader to pick up something along the lines of P0340 "CMP no signal".

2500 psi on the HP rail during cranking would indicate that is ok....

So where next? I can test your ECM to eliminate it, however I think this is pointing elsewhere, unless it has lost it's security seed with the immobiliser perhaps

One of these ones where it is much easier to diagnose on the car in person

Brian
Old 13th July 2018, 07:32   #18
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If the camshaft sensor was U/S, I would have expected his code reader to pick up something along the lines of P0340 "CMP no signal".

2500 psi on the HP rail during cranking would indicate that is ok....

So where next? I can test your ECM to eliminate it, however I think this is pointing elsewhere, unless it has lost it's security seed with the immobiliser perhaps

One of these ones where it is much easier to diagnose on the car in person

Brian
Thanks Brian.
The one thing I did different to normal was I used my spare key which I have not used for 4 years since I had the car. I was taking to the body repair shop after I was reversed into and did not want to give them my normal bunch of keys.
My local garage are coming down to today to have a look at it.
My problem is it is parked on the drive behind my other car and we are going on holiday early tomorrow morning.
Will update later.
Mike
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 08:31   #19
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

If car starts on easy start, then fuel is the culprit, -- or rather -- lack thereof.
Old 13th July 2018, 08:36   #20
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Only other thing I can think of is the cut of switch under the passenger side footwell which could have been triggered by the shunt? You could try and push the rubber button back in if your wrist is double jointed.
Loyboy is offline   Reply With Quote