Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th September 2019, 10:03   #11
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Just caught up with this thread, I'm one of those that couldn't care less about mpg so rarely follow. I just enjoy the car and fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank.

However, the major factor that has so far been largely neglected is on the Revs. With the auto box a weighty right foot that reaches the speed limit quickly, then coasts, destroys realistic calculations.

On the other hand, keeping the revs to reasonable rev limits, in other words moderate progress and in my case under 2500 rpm, will give reasonable consumption. That's how cruise control gets better figures if that's what you want. Switching to sport and kick-down will destroy economy but in my view if you want increased performance that's the price.

Incidentally, most sensations of speed are affected by subconscious needs for excessive right-foot over-use. Check your throttle cable slack at the swivel end. If it has brewer's droop you are losing travel in taking up the slack with your foot. That means you have to drive with increased foot pressure! Adjustment couldn't be simpler and the effect is a magical response.