Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2023, 18:20   #1
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Fun with camshaft position sensor on V6

Hi all,

I've had my 2002 V6 since 2019. Late that year, I had an episode where it refused to start for about three days. I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a new one from DMGRS. All good until summer 2022, when it started refusing to start again.

I narrowed this down to if the car had recently been used, and was still warm... all typical symptoms of camshaft sensor failure! Could I really be so unlucky?

When it refuses to start, I remove the engine cover, remove the camshaft position sensor for about 30 seconds, and then re-fit it. Turn the key, and it starts.

On a whim, I tried putting back the old (original) sensor, but that makes the car take longer to start (every time - even when cold) and ultimately, seems to have the same problem with warm starting.

Have I just been really unlucky and somehow munched through two of these sensors? Or could there be some other reason?

Does anyone have a known good sensor for sale?!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2023, 20:07   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
Hi all,

I've had my 2002 V6 since 2019. Late that year, I had an episode where it refused to start for about three days. I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a new one from DMGRS. All good until summer 2022, when it started refusing to start again.

I narrowed this down to if the car had recently been used, and was still warm... all typical symptoms of camshaft sensor failure! Could I really be so unlucky?

When it refuses to start, I remove the engine cover, remove the camshaft position sensor for about 30 seconds, and then re-fit it. Turn the key, and it starts.

On a whim, I tried putting back the old (original) sensor, but that makes the car take longer to start (every time - even when cold) and ultimately, seems to have the same problem with warm starting.

Have I just been really unlucky and somehow munched through two of these sensors? Or could there be some other reason?

Does anyone have a known good sensor for sale?!
I thought to start the car it requires the crank position sensor to function correctly (reference your initial problem). Immediately once started/firing the cam position sensor takes over the spark ignition timing function. Certainly the 'warm engine/sensor' is a malfunction indication of the cam sensor. Perhaps it was actually an iffy crank sensor initially that 'corrected itself' and not the cam sensor at all. Just a possibility...
21/07/23 Well apparently that was a load of rubbish advice. I though to delete but will leave it for posterity.

Last edited by rab60bit; 21st July 2023 at 16:27.. Reason: Incorrect
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2023, 21:35   #3
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hmm, the number of posts I read about those sensors! And working out which does which, I was pretty convinced that the camshaft one was only needed for starting, and the crankshaft one was more for running. Could be worth a try, though. Annoyingly, that would be even more expense!

I just find it a bit odd that, by the looks of things, I have a 21 year old sensor which is poorly, but also a 3 year old one with similar symptoms!
Old 21st July 2023, 15:08   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

The Cam position sensor on our cars plays no further part once the car has started - that's why a dodgy Cam sensor only causes non starts - as opposed to a dodgy crank sensor which can cause non starts and stalling.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2023, 18:50   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
If this is consistently the case I'd be looking at the security of the fixing screw, the cleanliness of the camshaft and sensor surfaces and whether or not the protrusion of the aftermarket sensor is the same as the factory fitted item. Or, if you're also unplugging the electrical connector there may be an intermittent connection there.
Quote:
This suggests that it may not be anything to do with the camshaft sensor at all (unless it's the electrical connector as mentioned above). An increase in the time that it takes the engine to fire indicates that some routine service is probably required.

Simon
Old 21st July 2023, 18:50   #6
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Cool. That's what I thought. So my dodgy start is likely to be camshaft sensor. Or... is there anything basically adjacent to that, which would also be affected by me lifting and re-inserting it? (I can't think of anything, so as crazy as it seems, my 'new' sensor only lasted 2-2.5 years, and that's with very light use)
Old 21st July 2023, 18:58   #7
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
If this is consistently the case I'd be looking at the security of the fixing screw, the cleanliness of the camshaft and sensor surfaces and whether or not the protrusion of the aftermarket sensor is the same as the factory fitted item. Or, if you're also unplugging the electrical connector there may be an intermittent connection there.
The two sensors are very similar, although the original requires a slightly harder shove to get it in. The DMGRS one also needed a 'link lead'. The o-rings are very similar too. I did also try moving/flexing/unplugging/replugging the electrical connections on the sensor, rather than removing the sensor itself... but no good. Only removing and re-inserting the sensor fixes it.

Either sensor usually has a bit of oil on the end when I remove it. Is that normal?

I have been living with it, but each time it happens, I always have this slight panic that it won't actually restart. It also looks bad... a chap with his 20+ year old Rover and the bonnet up!
Old 21st July 2023, 19:00   #8
SD1too

Quote:
So my dodgy start is likely to be camshaft sensor.
"Dodgy" is not really the right word Rich, this sensor either works or it doesn't (I speak from painful experience ). When it fails, the engine spins on the starter motor but there is no firing of any of the six cylinders.
Quote:
... so as crazy as it seems, my 'new' sensor only lasted 2-2.5 years, and that's with very light use)
That can only be down to a poor quality component.

Simon
Old 21st July 2023, 19:05   #9
SD1too

Quote:
The DMGRS one also needed a 'link lead'.
That's ok, all the replacements need a link lead now.

When mine failed last year I bought a genuine MGR sensor and link lead. I've had no further trouble with rapid starts every time. It's a balancing act deciding whether or not to buy aftermarket or genuine. With a critical sensor like this, I tend to sway towards genuine.

Simon
Old 22nd July 2023, 11:57   #10
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

When I say 'dodgy start', I mean that it will often fail to start (in exactly the way you described - spins on starter, no firing) if the car has recently been used. If I start the car for the first time in a day, then it's peachy.

You've got me wondering now about genuine vs aftermarket. I can't remember what I bought from DMGRS. Looks like a genuine one is now £25
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...0807b848&_ss=r
(but £52.50 with link lead)

Ah yes... that rings a bell, I think mine was a shade under £50 with the link lead (in 2019). As I've go my 20 year old one in the car now, I can check the DMGRS one... yes, it came in an MG-Rover branded bag with their part numbers. Looks exactly the same as the genuine one on the DMGRS site.

I'm slightly reluctant to buy another, but I suppose I don't need the link lead, this time. Hmm!