WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 23:33   #102
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
What have you noticed about No4 then?

Well, that is the one that I accidentally spilled a bit of oil into the plughole.... sooo, thought it was that, easy peasy, sorted....Then when i took the pug out, it seemed to be oiled up a bit, so thought it was that...
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 23:42   #103
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Poppy: Well, that is the one that I accidentally spilled a bit of oil into the plughole.... sooo, thought it was that, easy peasy, sorted....Then when i took the pug out, it seemed to be oiled up a bit, so thought it was that...
Maybe it was wet rather than oily? No4 cylinder is the usual one to be affected when the IMG leaks internally. You could check the manifold for tightness but was the gasket defo replaced with the missing fixing previously?
Old 8th September 2011, 23:49   #104
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Maybe it was wet rather than oily? No4 cylinder is the usual one to be affected when the IMG leaks internally. You could check the manifold for tightness but was the gasket defo replaced with the missing fixing previously?

Hiya Willy, yes, I guess more wet than oily.... I nhad the h/g done, but then had a problem and the guy came back and did the manifold gasket.... no probs ever since.... Just really worrying me now... . Anyway on top, it is also 1-45. feel terrible, but i must go to bed as i cannot even think straight any more...
... Can we resume this Tomorrow Please.? Poppy
Old 8th September 2011, 23:58   #105
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Poppy: Anyway on top, it is also 1-45. feel terrible, but i must go to bed as i cannot even think straight any more...
It's 00.54 here and yes, time for bed for me too. IMG.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:52   #106
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like you have air in the cooling system and with the lumpy idle, coolant loss etc I would suspect the IMG. Pull out the plugs and check if 1+4 look different.
I don't like to say this Poppy cos it's upsetting, but I think WHAS. is accurate with his opinion.

All of the symptoms you have stated point to the head gasket starting to leak water into one of the cylinders.
Also when the engine is running gas will enter the cooling system and displace some of the water and it is this gas you can hear flowing through the heater matrix and making that bubbling sound.

The light on the dash is not a problem. It comes up because your engine has been ticking over very slowly and the charge from the alternator has dropped away. Nothing to worry about with the electrics just the head gasket..
Why the plug in the leaking cylinder is not firing and is showing up wet is because of the leak.The slightly reduced compression in the cylinder means the plug won't ignite the fuel at tickover.
As you bring the revs up then the compression rises too and the cylinder starts to work. ie. the engine then runs smoothly.

However this state of affairs will only be short lived cos once a gasket starts to leak it progressively gets worse.

I hate to be, like Willy, the bearer of bad news and I hope Willy and I have both got it wrong.

Fingers crossed for you.

Colv.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 17:45   #107
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
before its closed, can I hijack it and ask about the cheap OAT from a vauxhall dealer ??
vauxhall oat is generally cheaper per gallon than halfords etc

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 18:29   #108
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I don't like to say this Poppy cos it's upsetting, but I think WHAS. is accurate with his opinion.

All of the symptoms you have stated point to the head gasket starting to leak water into one of the cylinders.
Also when the engine is running gas will enter the cooling system and displace some of the water and it is this gas you can hear flowing through the heater matrix and making that bubbling sound.

The light on the dash is not a problem. It comes up because your engine has been ticking over very slowly and the charge from the alternator has dropped away. Nothing to worry about with the electrics just the head gasket..
Why the plug in the leaking cylinder is not firing and is showing up wet is because of the leak.The slightly reduced compression in the cylinder means the plug won't ignite the fuel at tickover.
As you bring the revs up then the compression rises too and the cylinder starts to work. ie. the engine then runs smoothly.

However this state of affairs will only be short lived cos once a gasket starts to leak it progressively gets worse.

I hate to be, like Willy, the bearer of bad news and I hope Willy and I have both got it wrong.

Fingers crossed for you.

Colv.

Hiya John. I hope that you and Will have got it wrong for once too..... I already have the MLS Gasket fitted... If this has failed after 20 odd thousand miles.... I cannot keep on shelling hundreds of pounds for gasket repairs, I shall seriously have to think of the unthinkable.. Anyhow, I have just fitted new plugs and leads..... Started okay, light came on but has now gone off.... I shall have to check the plugs for any wetness in a day or so...Again, I have just removed my expansion cap before starting.... Hasn't been driven today so stone cold......Again it is if it is pressurised as there was a whoosh when removed.....
Old 9th September 2011, 18:38   #109
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Hiya John. I hope that you and Will have got it wrong for once too..... I already have the MLS Gasket fitted... If this has failed after 20 odd thousand miles.... I cannot keep on shelling hundreds of pounds for gasket repairs, I shall seriously have to think of the unthinkable.. Anyhow, I have just fitted new plugs and leads..... Started okay, light came on but has now gone off.... I shall have to check the plugs for any wetness in a day or so...Again, I have just removed my expansion cap before starting.... Hasn't been driven today so stone cold......Again it is if it is pressurised as there was a whoosh when removed.....
I understand there is a SNIFF test you do to detect the presence of gas in the headertank .

Some petrolhead should know more about it pops.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 18:42   #110
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

A good radiator shop should have the right equipment/chemical test.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote