Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th May 2023, 08:11   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default Beta Photoshop with Generative Fill

As a Creative Cloud subscriber to Adobe Photoshop we get the opportunity to Beta test new functions before they are on general release.

We have just had an update this week which is adding A.I photo manipulation into the mix.

It is creating an almighty buzz in the photographic world. Some positive and some...not so much!

If you want to see what it is all about. Just type 'Photoshop Generative Fill' into Youtube and you will see countless examples of what it does and how you can use it.

Here are a few before and after photos that I have used the software with.
What used to take hours and hours of compositing in Photoshop is now done in a matter of minutes. I'll let you decide/discuss what you think about this, good or bad.

Anyhow, here are a few before and after efforts of mine after a quick play...

SL55 AMG Mercedes by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
AMG Merc by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Fiat 124 Sport Coupé by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Fiat 124 coupé in vineyard by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Phoebe by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Chris by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
EY7P8509 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

EY7P0181 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Chevrolet Apache by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Old 28th May 2023, 22:58   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The only after shot I like is the one of Chris, the others don t work for me!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 29th May 2023, 07:58   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The only after shot I like is the one of Chris, the others don t work for me!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Fair enough Andy 😊
Old 29th May 2023, 10:23   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Jeff,

This technology has been in use for the past couple of years through Skylum so it’s not new and when it came out it was sold as part of a software package through one payment. Skylum proudly boasted at the time they would not be going down the monthly subscription which Adobe users have to pay. But recently that’s changed when Skylum Neo updated itself to monthly subscriptions. They also updated the software not to work with older versions of Mac which pushed me out. Skylum is Ukrainian so I can understand their need for regular income. I liked the support when I complained to them about the upgrade pushing me out, I felt supported even though they couldn’t offer a solution, so next year I will have to buy a new second hand Mac to keep up with the likes of the latest from Adobe or Skylum.

This form of AI layering clearly is a lot of fun and has many applications. How successful it’s going to be with the purists I don’t know.

I have used it with Skylum a few times to replace the background or to replace a dull and uninteresting sky. On both occasions I didn’t reveal that the photo was not original. Some could say it’s cheating! but there will always be the doom sayers making those sort of snobbish comments - purists

Have fun
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2023, 12:53   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Jeff,

This technology has been in use for the past couple of years through Skylum so it’s not new and when it came out it was sold as part of a software package through one payment. Skylum proudly boasted at the time they would not be going down the monthly subscription which Adobe users have to pay. But recently that’s changed when Skylum Neo updated itself to monthly subscriptions. They also updated the software not to work with older versions of Mac which pushed me out. Skylum is Ukrainian so I can understand their need for regular income. I liked the support when I complained to them about the upgrade pushing me out, I felt supported even though they couldn’t offer a solution, so next year I will have to buy a new second hand Mac to keep up with the likes of the latest from Adobe or Skylum.

This form of AI layering clearly is a lot of fun and has many applications. How successful it’s going to be with the purists I don’t know.

I have used it with Skylum a few times to replace the background or to replace a dull and uninteresting sky. On both occasions I didn’t reveal that the photo was not original. Some could say it’s cheating! but there will always be the doom sayers making those sort of snobbish comments - purists

Have fun
Hi Phil,

It's not quite the same as Skylum and others blend existing stock images with your own photo to the best of my knowledge. The Adobe version creates the part you want changed from scratch using A.I. It doesn't exist in real life. It is their computers interpretation of what you ask it.
The reasoning is that you can n to fall foul of any copyright issues and will be able to use this commercially once on full release.
The Sky replace has been available as a quick fix change for a couple of years I. Photoshop now and creating layers of different images has been there for a long time. I do believe that Adobe were the first to bring tat to the table. Having said that, it is a very time consuming job to do it properly and the 'generative fill' speeds the process up no end.

To be honest, It is of more interest to me for being able to remove bits from an image in a non destructive way or add to the canvas. Both of which are much better than 'content aware' which just copies pixels. It makes this side of editing so much quicker with arguably better results. When you are editing a serious amount of images in your workflow every day for your living. This has the makings of a real game changer.

It will be interesting to see how it gets more polished when it goes on to general public release.

You are right with the subscription and if you are just a casual user of image editing software then there are cheaper (or free) alternatives out there.
For me £9.95 a month is worth every penny considering you get Lightroom and Photoshop, plus some other apps included in that price.

The only other image software I would consider for myself would be 'Capture One' for its excellent 'tethered' shooting abilities. I can't be bothered to learn yet another bit of software though so I'll stick with Lightroom for that even if it isn't as accomplished for tethered shooting.

Anyhow, how are things back in the U.K ?

We must have a catch up at some point, it's been far to long!
Old 29th May 2023, 16:50   #6
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi Phil,

It's not quite the same as Skylum and others blend existing stock images with your own photo to the best of my knowledge. The Adobe version creates the part you want changed from scratch using A.I. It doesn't exist in real life. It is their computers interpretation of what you ask it.
The reasoning is that you can n to fall foul of any copyright issues and will be able to use this commercially once on full release.
The Sky replace has been available as a quick fix change for a couple of years I. Photoshop now and creating layers of different images has been there for a long time. I do believe that Adobe were the first to bring tat to the table. Having said that, it is a very time consuming job to do it properly and the 'generative fill' speeds the process up no end.

To be honest, It is of more interest to me for being able to remove bits from an image in a non destructive way or add to the canvas. Both of which are much better than 'content aware' which just copies pixels. It makes this side of editing so much quicker with arguably better results. When you are editing a serious amount of images in your workflow every day for your living. This has the makings of a real game changer.

It will be interesting to see how it gets more polished when it goes on to general public release.

You are right with the subscription and if you are just a casual user of image editing software then there are cheaper (or free) alternatives out there.
For me £9.95 a month is worth every penny considering you get Lightroom and Photoshop, plus some other apps included in that price.

The only other image software I would consider for myself would be 'Capture One' for its excellent 'tethered' shooting abilities. I can't be bothered to learn yet another bit of software though so I'll stick with Lightroom for that even if it isn't as accomplished for tethered shooting.

Anyhow, how are things back in the U.K ?

We must have a catch up at some point, it's been far too long!
Thank you Jeff,

Yes “Capture One” is also very popular on the Olympus camera forum and like yourself I am more familiar with Lightroom and don’t feel like learning another new software programme. I sometimes toy with the idea of returning to Adobe given it’s still under a tenner each month and it has much on offer. I feel it’s the penultimate in editing.

Since arriving a few days ago we have been moving around various hotels. Tonight we are in a hotel near Potters Bar. Tonight I have been told to fast nil by mouth from 07:00 and to keep a full bladder until 11:00 in preparation for an abdominal and pelvis CT scan in a North London Hospital just outside of ULEZ.

I am due to have one more big operation in the next month or so. The same operation I had done on the left leg 5 years ago when you visited me at home afterwards. The surgeon told me in December, I was to have it done then, but I wasn’t strong enough. He said the longer I leave it, the greater the risk of getting embolism’s being released or if the aneurysm bursts and bleeds out or blocks, I could lose the leg or its curtains. You know how they can be direct.

Apart from all of that I am doing well and have learned to live with the fear, in fact I view it as more of a mechanical repair and I am not as frightened of it as I used to be.

Today, Jessica and I met up with Rover54 for lunch and he is doing well with his health. I know you will remember Ed from those car meets at the Halfway House, all good fun in those days.

I could do with a better laptop and a better camera but that will have to wait until next year.

After the scans tomorrow, I will be driving back to Bristol ��
Old 1st June 2023, 06:29   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Thank you Jeff,

Yes “Capture One” is also very popular on the Olympus camera forum and like yourself I am more familiar with Lightroom and don’t feel like learning another new software programme. I sometimes toy with the idea of returning to Adobe given it’s still under a tenner each month and it has much on offer. I feel it’s the penultimate in editing.

Since arriving a few days ago we have been moving around various hotels. Tonight we are in a hotel near Potters Bar. Tonight I have been told to fast nil by mouth from 07:00 and to keep a full bladder until 11:00 in preparation for an abdominal and pelvis CT scan in a North London Hospital just outside of ULEZ.

I am due to have one more big operation in the next month or so. The same operation I had done on the left leg 5 years ago when you visited me at home afterwards. The surgeon told me in December, I was to have it done then, but I wasn’t strong enough. He said the longer I leave it, the greater the risk of getting embolism’s being released or if the aneurysm bursts and bleeds out or blocks, I could lose the leg or its curtains. You know how they can be direct.

Apart from all of that I am doing well and have learned to live with the fear, in fact I view it as more of a mechanical repair and I am not as frightened of it as I used to be.

Today, Jessica and I met up with Rover54 for lunch and he is doing well with his health. I know you will remember Ed from those car meets at the Halfway House, all good fun in those days.

I could do with a better laptop and a better camera but that will have to wait until next year.

After the scans tomorrow, I will be driving back to Bristol ��
Thanks for the updates Phil and sorry for the late reply.

Ed came up to the shop once a few years back as well.
Do remember me to him when you next see him.

The Halfway House meets were great fun and very fond memories.
Yourself, Bob, Ed, Stu, Mike, Lewis amongst other prominent club members past and present....Good times.
I still remember you telling me about what went on down the lane alongside the pub as well
Old 1st June 2023, 06:45   #8
coolcat
This is my second home

Back on topic..

Photoshoot of a Renault Sport Spider I did on Tuesday.

Original ...

Renault Sport Spider by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Generative fill background...

Renault Sport Spider by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

This was a photoshoot for Car&Classic.
The original photos were taken in a local leisure centre car park which will be used when this car goes to auction.

For the purpose of advertising and social media placement then it is likely that the modified images will be chosen for the appeal.

It isn't always possible to do a shoot at a suitable location so this is where a bit of editing software like this comes in handy.
Old 1st June 2023, 08:48   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Thanks for the updates Phil and sorry for the late reply.

Ed came up to the shop once a few years back as well.
Do remember me to him when you next see him.

The Halfway House meets were great fun and very fond memories.
Yourself, Bob, Ed, Stu, Mike, Lewis amongst other prominent club members past and present....Good times.
I still remember you telling me about what went on down the lane alongside the pub as well
Thank you Jeff for those memories and thoughts, yes they were good times and the characters from the club were something else, sadly some are no longer with us. It was a long way home from Newcastle for Richard but it was at HH I first met RPWC ….ah ah and further along from the entrance to HH was lovers lane.

Getting back to ‘Generative Fill Background”, for sure use this latest software from Adobe and most important, it’s whatever works for you and do have fun doing it
Old 1st June 2023, 13:33   #10
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
….ah ah and further along from the entrance to HH was lovers lane.
That was for the serious “dog walkers” amongst us