Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2017, 23:15   #1
Incastone
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ CDTi, 2003, HFF.

Default Quick how-to converting single > double din and IR SWC to wired

Photobucket has ruined quite a lot of photo guides on here.
I know this has been done to death but hopefully the pictures
will be useful. This also shows adapting a broken/unwanted IR
steering control system to a wired one that is ISO plug and play.

RayKay was unbelievably patient with me waiting for the penny to drop,
so thank you for your help, it was appreciated!

1. Once you've released, unplugged and removed your current HU, remove the eyebrow.
There's a black plastic cover that's clipped on underneath, so remove this first by just prying it off:

Circled in red is the housing where your cable with the IR transmitter on the end
should be. Or not, in my case. If yours is present, remove it.

2. You'll then have access to the two phillips screws securing the eyebrow itself, so remove these:

3. The eyebrow just pulls off. Now you can remove the two phillips screws at top left and right of the exposed fascia and remove it:

4. Pop the cover off the front of the AC controls and you'll have access to the four screws that secure the AC unit. The bottom two also secure the ashtray/lighter/cupholder section.
Unplug the two connectors from the AC.

The ashtray section has one connector that needs unplugging and a plastic clip that secures some cables to it needs removing.
Then you can remove the whole lot.

5. Now to the loom.
The car wiring meets the audio loom in a black 17 pin block, the car side shown here.
Identify the SWC wires as at left - Blue/Orange (ground) & Blue/Purple (control). They should be going in to pins 10 and 17 respectively.

Your SWC wires might instead end in a small green iso connector

6. Check the flip side of the black block where the cables exit into the audio loom,
and make sure both cables are still there. My Blue/Orange cable changed to black.

If your HU needs a SWC ground wire, you will need to cut the wire at pin 10 here (what is now my black cable), and extend it using more wire to take it to the HU.

7. Instead of ISO plugs like the grey and orange show here, yours may terminate in another black BMW plug, in which case you'll need an adapter to end up with ISOs.
The orange connector holds the speaker wiring and is plug and play, the grey holds the power connections.
You can see a green/red wire in pos. 1 that was for a phone mute but goes nowhere, so it was removed.
In the photo at far right, Pins 1 (top left), 2 (below it) and 3 are clear. At this point you need to check your HU and see what positions its SWC input uses.

(I damaged the red/green wire when removing it, otherwise could have recycled it during the next steps)

8. Here's the power ISO that came with the HU. I'm using it for donor wires.
My HU (Chinese 7021G) only needs the SWC input in pos 3. You can also see a pink wire in 1 and a brown in 2 here. I'm not using them.
If I were I would just transplant them straight into the grey ISO and bullet connect the bare ends.
I'm only doing this for pos 3. I used the 2 micro allen keys to get in either side of the individual connectors and release them, instead of butchering it like the red/green before :/

9. Back to the IR unit to get our SWC wire to graft on to the bullet end of the donor cable clipped in to our power ISO in pos 3.
Remove the IR unit.
It's attached with one bolt onto the trim at the back of the exposed cavity.
Circled in yellow, the sheath containing our SWC wires. Circled in red, the reason my IR cable wasn't in place. The end has been cut off and taped up.

10. Cut the sheath then cut all three wires a couple of inches away from the IR unit, and pull the Blue/Purple out of the sheath. Isolate, tape up then bind the other two together. They're not needed.
Stash your IR unit somewhere safe in case you want to swap over again in the future.

11. Now I only need to strip the end of Blue/Purple, and put a bullet connector on it, for attaching to the donor wire. Once that's done, I plug my grey ISO and the speaker ISO straight into my HU and I am finished...

...Well, kind of. Ironically, none of the donor wires I had would fit/stay in the grey ISO - slightly different size of the square body below the clips, bizarre.
I had to bypass it in the end
I used a female to male ISO extension that I already had, purchased before I realised technically I could have done it without. The donor wire that should have gone in the grey ISO went in the extension pos 3 and this directly to Blue/Purple as you can see here:

I used the MG7 fascia to fit the double din:

You can get them from Xtrons for £9.99 here:
http://xtrons.co.uk/11-577-double-di...el-for-mg.html

I secured the unit to the fascia using brackets as shown by Dallas:

The GPS unit is magnetic and will attach firmly to the metal crossbeam right at the top of the cavity. Make sure it is on the top where it can see the sky!

And here it is all In:

Most importantly, everything works, which is awesome. Just need to find a decent maps program for the Nav. MapFactor is not doing it for me.

Last edited by Incastone; 22nd July 2017 at 23:42..
Incastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 00:56   #2
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Nice how too and a really neat finish. I agree on the mapfactor, I cant take to it.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote