Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2017, 14:59   #1
pevil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Manual, Club

Default Not a 75!

Hey guys & gals,

As title says this is not a 75 question but hopefully one of you knowledgeable people may be able to help, wife's Smart ForTwo has a charging problem, at tick-over (with multi-meter on battery terminals) I'm reading 14.2v, increase the revs and it drops to 12.6v and so on, turn side lights on and it reads about 14.2v all the time, this happens while travelling, throttle open 12.6v throttle closed 14.2v, lights on 14.2v throttle closed or open, changed battery, no difference, I know the alternator is controlled by the computer but this scenario is causing the battery to go flat!

Any ideas before I spend a load of money at Mercedes getting it on the diagnostic
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
pevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:40   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

I'm pretty certain this will be an alternator problem Peter. 12.6 volts is inadequate to charge your battery. Buy an exchange alternator from a motor factor and get it fitted by someone cheaper than a Mercedes main dealer!

Simon
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:09   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
A friend of mine on one of the vintage radio forums had exactly the same issue. A new alternator was tried to no avail and eventually Mercedes diagnosed a computer issue, now I think it was the body computer at fault, the price was eye watering, eventually he obtained a second-hand part but it was expensive to get it coded into the car.
I can only say good luck and fingers crossed it is just the alternator and not the computer. The regulation is done in the computer not the alternator allegedly.
Old 27th July 2017, 16:21   #4
pevil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Manual, Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'm pretty certain this will be an alternator problem Peter. 12.6 volts is inadequate to charge your battery. Buy an exchange alternator from a motor factor and get it fitted by someone cheaper than a Mercedes main dealer!

Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
A friend of mine on one of the vintage radio forums had exactly the same issue. A new alternator was tried to no avail and eventually Mercedes diagnosed a computer issue, now I think it was the body computer at fault, the price was eye watering, eventually he obtained a second-hand part but it was expensive to get it coded into the car.
I can only say good luck and fingers crossed it is just the alternator and not the computer. The regulation is done in the computer not the alternator allegedly.
Thanks guys, I hope it's just the alternator or connections but with the accelerator sensor acting like a switch it could be the SAM unit, HOPE NOT.
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
pevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 20:27   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Would a temporary cure be to drive with the lights ON so that your battery will be getting charged.

It won't hurt the car to run with the lights on. Lots of cars do just that for increased visibility and safety.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:10   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Peter.---How are you getting along with that charging problem ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote