Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2017, 20:10   #11
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
I'll never use gumtree ever again had truly awful experience with the site as my card details were hacked through it.
How did that happen?

eBay and Gumtree are the same company.

When it comes to Gumtree the best advice is to communicate by phone rather than email, and if possible, buy a pay as you go sim card solely for using when advertising items for sale.

Communicating by email leaves you open to viruses, fake payment notifications and phishing emails that place things like browser redirects and trojans on your computer (especially windows computers)

Text messages are largely harmless providing you delete any that contain links or ask you to email your best price.

From a buying perspective, best advice is to avoid anybody who only wants to communicate by email and anybody who doesn't want to allow you to view their item. In the case of cars, it's good advice not to agree to view anywhere other than the seller's place of work or home.

People should do what they're comfortable with but generally speaking the advice on auction fraud (which was set up by the police with the assistance of eBay) can't be faulted.

PayPal although no longer an eBay company still work very closely with the police and eBay when it comes to fraud detection but it's always going to be like swimming against the tide.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 20:38   #12
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Its always best not to use your real name
I agree with everything else in your post except that.

Always use your real name, you don't have to give your full name to anybody who doesn't need it, but using a pseudonymn is a really bad idea.

It's too long winded to go into here, but more than once at work I've seen a victim of fraud become the focus of an investigation because they initially used a false name. I understand your thinking but after more years than I care to remember working with first eBay then PayPal I really can't stress enough how bad an idea it is.

Using an variation of your name that you wouldn't normally use, (for example, normally called Gerard, then Ged or Gez is fine), but using a name that isn't your own is a potential world of misery.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 20:49   #13
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Sometimes selling things on the Internet can be funny, in fact I often find it quite humorous with some of the questions I get asked, example: I was advertising a crank sensor used and tested, and got asked "when will in fail" ???

Another one I got asked after advertising a starter motor used and tested was, "why do they not fit other cars",
I honestly believe some people have nothing to do with their days other than waste other people's time being stupid.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 21:21   #14
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
I agree with everything else in your post except that.

Always use your real name, you don't have to give your full name to anybody who doesn't need it, but using a pseudonymn is a really bad idea.

It's too long winded to go into here, but more than once at work I've seen a victim of fraud become the focus of an investigation because they initially used a false name. I understand your thinking but after more years than I care to remember working with first eBay then PayPal I really can't stress enough how bad an idea it is.

Using an variation of your name that you wouldn't normally use, (for example, normally called Gerard, then Ged or Gez is fine), but using a name that isn't your own is a potential world of misery.
Having your real name advertised on Gumtree just helps the scam-ring build their profile on you, that is why Gumtree gets hit heavily by scammers. You can use an alias, initials or nickname, the choice is yours for private sellers. Gumtree is a free local classified ad platform, soon to offer its members screen name ID's same as ebay.

When registering for an ebay or Paypal account is somewhat different, you will have to use your real name for obvious reasons, but your ebay screen ID can be anything you want.

When using Gumtree I find it best to use names when contacting people by phone, either with the intentions of buying or selling. Text messages and emails is a no no, there is no need (9 times out of 10 your are being scammed). Gumtree do filter emails through their servers, so your personal address is kept hidden, but you will always get scammers asking you to send extra photos etc to their own personal email address, which will then allow them to have your personal email address (names, addresses, emails brings them closer to bank ID and card fraud).
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 07:38   #15
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

With Gumtree, one can use their message system to "email" the enquirer, so that is secure.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 09:39   #16
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

I always put 'no offers' on my ads of low value now. I can't stand folk haggling over something I've advertised for £5, I would rather give it away, cheap cheeky beggars! High value items are different of course, there's a bit more room for negotiations.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:59   #17
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I specifically put in my ads: "Asking price only. Offers will not be entertained or replied to". Since I've done this, I get less contact with people making silly offers but I still get the occasional idiot that does it.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 10:03   #18
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Selling online is easy and very safe so long as you stick to the rules.
Most of this is common sense.

I will list what I do.

I never use my private email address, creating another one is easy via Gmail.

You can give out your home telephone number if you wish, however I tend to use a mobile and it's not my main mobile phone.

For payment I have always used PayPal and never accept cheques unless I personally know them.

Several times I haven't received what I have bought and I do give the seller reasonable time but if they don't respond, I contact PayPal and let them deal with it.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 10:12   #19
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
I always put 'no offers' on my ads of low value now. I can't stand folk haggling over something I've advertised for £5, I would rather give it away, cheap cheeky beggars! High value items are different of course, there's a bit more room for negotiations.
It is amazing how some folk will offer just £2 on a measly £5 bargain. I sometimes use the 'Freebies' section, item soon goes then. You also get the privilege of people actually calling instead of texting or emailing, this avoids the time wasters and scammers.

I find many punters will knock you down via text message, and then ask you to delivery for free, even on a free item (and I stupidly oblige).
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:35   #20
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Got one at the moment who is going to visit to look at something, he's driving a 120 mile round trip. Yes the item is £70, but still add the fuel and time to that, one maybe should look closer to home - Hope he's not on here!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote